A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fashion Doodling Anyone?  (Read 39613 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dreamergirl
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2007 07:13:35 AM »

PlaysWithFire, that dress in the first drawing is gorgeous. And the third is basically perfect (if I saw it in a store I would totally take it). You're awesome  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2007 01:03:41 PM »

HOLY CRAP, what frikken excellent doodling!  Playswithfire, you've got marvy talent...

My doodling sucks, but the background story of my sketch book is interesting so that's why I'm sharing today.

My family and I took a road trip to Austria when I was about 13 or 14.  When we stopped in a little town to eat at a restaurant, I saw this cool chinese fabric-covered book on the curb, right next to a bag of trash.  I was really shy about picking it up, but I knew if I didn't pick it up I would've regretted it forever.  (how dramatic...)  Well, it turned out to be a girl's journal!  Unfortunately it was written in German and I don't speak a word.  My Austrian friend translated some of it, but it was so long ago that I don't remember what it says.

I wanted to keep the book forever, but I didn't want it to be useless.  So I decided to sketch on random pieces of paper and stick them in the book.  For the random paper I "doodled" on, I cut up some photocopies that my English teacher handed out with passages of some fabulous books.  It feels nice to recycle two things that meant so much to me!

Anyway, on with the crap doodles!  This is the first sketch I did during my sewing class in '98.  I was obsessed with the '10s and '20s.  I made this dress too, but it wasn't as cool as I would've liked.  The fabric was too thick, not light and airy. POO!

I had a theme of "Simplicity to Absurdity", taking overly ornate costumes from throughout history, and mixing in overly simple aspects to them.  I never made any of them, it was just an idea I had to explore.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
PlaysWithFire
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2007 02:51:56 PM »

Crap doodles? Right...
They're beautiful!
Plus, what an interesting story!
I don't know if I would have been so brave as to pick up a book beside the road, but I guess you never know what you can find...
But, seriously, I love the green coat and the turkish shawl/cape.
Plus, you can sew...I mean...I'm starting up, but...what's the use of designing if you can't sew?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hold me *now*
Don't start shaking
[*You* keep me safe]
Don't ever think you're the *only one*
When times are tough in your new age
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle . .

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2007 03:30:29 PM »

plays with fire, thanks loads Cheesy I'm always checking out your DA to see if you have new stuff up, I love all your design work, and that first dress is really nice, reminds me a bit of a saree, is it meant to... dinno but I like it alot Cheesy. Infact, I'm off the add you as a friend on DA, add me too if you like?

Lou xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tutorials, features, bloggyness http://www.dearestjackdaw.com/

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2007 03:37:56 PM »

hahaha okay.. I've already got you added as a friend from weeks ago! I'm loukr.deviantart.com btw.. lol xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do you have an ever increasing pile of scraps waiting for the perfect project? Why not join in our Altered Fashions sew-along! http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354356.0
shydeana
Deana M.

Hi! I'm Deana.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2007 03:59:32 PM »

Hi fashion doodlers!! Cheesy

It's great to see PlayswithFire and Bubba*tink adding doodles. I'm liking the middle one best, PWFire.  Wink

Bubba*tink, I know how you feel. I'll see something along the side of the road and want to pick it up. I seem to feel at that point of time it was at that spot to get another chance at being useful, and I tend to pick things up, too. Would the google translator be of help to you? I bet it would make for interesting reading. But, OMG, if I kept a journal, it would be sooo boring the one picking it up would put it back!  Shocked

Bubba*ttink, your doodles aren't crap as you say. You doodled what you wanted to express very well. This is a successful doodle.

Ok, too add to the fashion doodle discussion, I finally turned a doodle into reality.

This doodle:

The doodle + a XL polo shirt + an old pillowcase =

It has a tie in back to make it more fitting under the bust and still has a little tummy hiding capacity....

and I doodled this:

and also joined deviant art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is a beast whose bite becomes deadly to your soul. ~ Deana.
PlaysWithFire
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2007 05:42:46 PM »

Shydeana: Wow, that is as close as you could possibly get (and yay for tummy hiding capacity)! That blue dress is very pretty, simple enough not to be flashy, but cut so that it's not plain. I should really work on my digital painting.

Loukr-Good eye, it is based on a sari. On my deviantArt version there's a huge description, but I usually avoid spamming this thread with them.

So, this week's on Project Designer is to design an outfit based on (and including) a fashion faux pose and I was assigned too much jewelry. I found an image (I'll find it again and post it) and it had exactly what I was looking for: strictly speaking it was an artistic photo, to express excess, but it had strand upon strand of black and white pearls and diamonds. After pondering it for a while, I thought it would be interesting to do...well, the exact opposite. You know, someone who doesn't wear jewelry, or make up for that matter, like amish.
I don't know, that might sound stupid, but I'd like your opinions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hold me *now*
Don't start shaking
[*You* keep me safe]
Don't ever think you're the *only one*
When times are tough in your new age
bubba*tink

there's nuffin loik a warm cable-knit necklace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2007 07:15:41 PM »

thanks, guys, for making me feel better about my doodles! Smiley  It's just hard to like what I draw when I see uber fantastic masterpieces, like PlaysWithFire...But then have you seen Frank Gehry's sketches?  They suck and he's as successful as can be!  heehee!  I know that sounds mean, but he really can't draw. Grin  It's just awesome that he rules.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can tell you, Fall is composed of

1 part dead fish smell
1 part wet leaves
1 part arctic chilled air (not winter chilled variety)
2 parts crunchy walking
a pinch very cold rain
some apples you picked yourself
a few very still moments
a good deal of inner reflection
loukr
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2007 03:48:51 AM »

deana is there any chance of a picture with the dress on? it'd be nice to see how it fits. Here's another illustration I've done for my final major project, it's meant to be made out of layers and layers of silk chiffon... but it's not meant to be poofy, as my tutor pointed out, the model is walking! lol.

Close up:

Lou x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2007 08:39:59 AM »

That's really cool!

When I finish all of my other Craftster perusing, I will read all of the pages in here. I wish I could be able to turn my fashion doodles into reality.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 32 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dainty Little Cocktail Dress
How to Make Pajama Pants
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 8/12
Working with Several Yarns Tip
Thin Fluffy Yarn Knitting Tip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...