A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
350 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I know nothing about kilns  (Read 1861 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenna rose
« on: October 07, 2006 08:52:34 PM »

I'd like to find out what kind of kilns our glass artists, here, have.

I'm really wanting to get into glass fusing - pendants for necklaces, bracelets, rings, pins.  I know kilns are really expensive so I'm wondering what the smallest one is that I could use for this sort of thing. I'd also love to be able to make slightly bigger pieces - for use and just for art.  But I know that'd probably be too expensive for me.

Is there a preferred size? a preferred style? Are the smaller kilns ones that I can put in my bedroom (which doubles as my art room)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lissaj
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006 05:52:04 AM »

We have a larger Skutt kiln, but also a small jen-ken kiln which has been a super little kiln.  It is about 10" across, 12" deep.  Perfect for cabs and pendants and beads, also works well for some smaller plates etc.  You will want a digital controller for your kiln and those are pricey, but some kilns on eBay come with them for a good deal. 

lissa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006 05:56:58 PM »

I have done a bit of research on kilns and basically it depends what you want to do with it. 

For glass, you need a kiln with a heating element in the top to ensure even high heat.

If you are only going to do jewelery a small kiln should work fine.

If you are going to make slumped vases you will need a kiln that is deep enough to hold the vases.

The bigger the kiln the more room modification you will need to do. For a large kiln you will need upgraded electrical and a vent hood.

I have serious kiln envy and almost bought a $1500+ kiln before I did any fusing (not smart!). In stead of doing that I'm taking glass fusing at the local university and with the class I get unlimited kiln use (within reason)! You might want to se if there are any art centers that have a glass kiln that rent out time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mishoozles
Wear the ART By shoozles

Fresh art served daily! try it some time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006 11:43:25 PM »

I have Evenheat hot box, 3 of them, I like them so much I am getting another one very soon Grin I am so happy! I would also like to try the studio 8.

Oh and the bedroom unless it is huge and far away from your bed I would not put it there. The kiln needs to be on a metal rack far away from combustable items. It's hot folks! I have a photo of my kilns in my flicker file. Oh my cat sleeps in it. Bad kitty!

Good luck-take a class there is more to it that just turning the kiln on!
M
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftedgems
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006 05:40:22 AM »

hi

i'm a lampworker who's recently started fusing. I have a paragon sc2 kiln, i think it's a fantastic little kiln.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006 09:58:31 AM »

I like this web page for kiln shopping: http://www.greatkilns.com/.

They list all of their prices in a nice little matrix so it is easy to understand.  They also list their kiln by 120 or 220 wiring. Which is nice! 120 does not require any electrical upgrades for the typical household.

This is the web page I always go back to....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006 08:44:25 AM »

So my parents were visiting last weekend and my dad checked out the wiring in my garage.  It is 120 now but can easily be upgraded to 220 to accommodate a more powerful kiln.

He also made sure there was space in my breaker box for a new and improved breaker to handle 220.

One question for those of you with kilns. How much electricity do they use? By that I mean does your electric bill jump up when you use your kiln?

Of course I know it used electricity, I'm just wondering if we are talking about airconditioning in Tallahassee, Florida in August kind of useage levels or typical electric water heater kind of levels of useage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006 11:20:05 AM »

Depends on two things PinkyK.
1. How large the kiln is will influence the amount of electricity.
2. The amount of usage.

If it is a smaller glass kiln, which I will presume you are speaking of, it will use about the same as running your clothes dryer. So if you run it loads then it will greatly increase your electric bill, but if you use it a few times per week it should be little change. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006 11:23:24 AM »

Thank you so much HSG! That is what I thought but my dad kept saying "You better find out how much electricity it takes to run one of those things......bla bla bla they run for hours and hours to get that hot....bla bla bla.....insert some story from 40 years ago that may or may not relate to kilns.....bla bla bla"

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006 02:07:16 PM »

Glad to help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Out Backcombed Hair
How to Straighten Curly Hair
How to Cut Hair with Clippers
How to Blow Dry Black Hair
How to Make a Bump in Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...