A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 301,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ethical Question  (Read 3249 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006 06:33:01 PM »

Ok, first off I just want to say that you can dislike an industry without disliking the workers (ie. I hate WalMart but I have nothing against their employees.)  Having said that, I think that it's important to think about what sort of reputation and image you want to create.  If you don't want your products to be associated with "dancers" than I think you should not target them as customers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beqi
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006 08:19:39 PM »

Are you objecting to dancing itself or the style of clothing strippers usually wear?  Because I've known quite a few strippers and some of them have tremendously bad style out of work--the whole 'clear heels' thing.  Not that a ton of non-dancers don't cling to bad fashion, but the dancers I knew who did, did so along certain style lines--(i.e., marabou explosion, thongs showing outside of jeans, cowboy hats, and those jeans that lace up the front)--so is that what you're opposed to, or is it more the occupation itself?

Because I personally never had anything against stripping, but girlfriend didn't have to dress like Coyote Ugly threw up out in the daytime.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beqiclothing.com.  Good Clothes for Bad Girls.
tofuttibreak
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006 08:58:27 PM »

i don't think that there is anything wrong or hypocritical about questioning this market. if your clothes become mainly associated with a dancer clientele, you could have issues marketing to a non-dancer audience. does that make sense?

i'm not saying that you shouldn't sell to dancers, but you should consider what you are hoping for the future of your business.

if you have no moral issues with dancers/dancing, you could have a great audience for future lines. i'm no expert, but i would imagine that there aren't as many "indie" designers going in that direction---you could have a huge market. you could even make a dent in some of the dancer-esqe fashion crimes!

if your dilemna is that you disagree with the profession, then you may want to steer clear of that particular audience. it could (not necessarily will, but could) be damaging to the reputation of your business if you intend to sell to a more conservative clientele. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006 09:20:47 PM »

My thought is this.......  if  you  yourself are  at a delema  morally  ask  yourself this..... are  you  trying to  make it  big  or  are  you  jsut  making the  extra  cash a nd  having  fun?  if its a  thing  where you want to  make it  big 10 years  from  now  do you want  it  thrown in the  papers  that  you started out making clothes for strippers?  not that  stripping is  wrong just that is  how the  media  does things...so  do you wnat that as  your  face?  or  does it  not  bother you that  bad.  I  would  rather a  lady  feeding her  kids  do  what  she  had to adn if  my little  creation could  help  then  so be it. (altho I would pray her life  could be  so much more)   But  as  stated  before   surely would be  against  someone  using  my creations in  murder  LOL  that  was  funny....   any way....  listen to your  heart  you  know  what is  right......  what  was  your  first  gut  feeling?  go from there..... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
max

Hooked on Purses

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006 04:45:29 AM »

Well as an update I've decided against putting my skirts in this store. Actually I knew in my heart what my answer was when the store owner mentioned her target market. I had not thought about this before but it's been a lesson to me as an aspiring designer and creator. Hopefully this will help someone else as well. I've had to rethink my motivation and I realize I am not willing to sacrifice my future reputation for money. I have nothing against the dancers, as I said I had really not thought about it one way or another. But, I am concerned about the image I choose to portray for my company. All who advised me to go for it presented some valid points but I've decided that this is not right for ME. I have faith that the right opportunity will come along so I have chosen to practice patience and continue to perservere. A good friend suggested I make a mission statement that will keep me focused and maybe prevent this type of situation in the future. It's really interesting to see so many differing opinions. Let's keep it going!
max
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beqi
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006 07:32:07 AM »

Now I'm curious to see these skirts...do you have pictures?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beqiclothing.com.  Good Clothes for Bad Girls.
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006 07:35:52 AM »

yeah  same  here  would  love  to  see them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
BrightEyes_PR
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2006 09:52:23 AM »

exactly...heck I may want one to dance in for the guy that keeps following me around.  Wink  LMFAO  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for my 360 theme!!  http://my360theme.com/theme_detail.php?id=219

I never have an idle day,
New ideas come my way.
Don't know yet what I'll create,
But my imagination's great!
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2006 08:06:32 AM »

This is an old topic but I thought it would be interesting to point something out. If anyone remembers that show that was on FOX a while back about the women living in a house dealing with different life issues. The one lady on there was a clothing designer & happened to fall into making clothes for dancers. She didn't plan on her business going that way BUT she made a killing and ended up going into her real passion of costume design a lot faster from the money she made.

Personally I would do it in a heartbeat.....whats easier to sew than thongs & garterbelts. Plus the profit margin would be huge. "Exotic" items are so pricy in stores when we all know that little piece of fabric is in no way close to being that expensive. They would come to you more if you charged just a little less than the stores.

I've know quite a lot of dancers from school & my brother  Roll Eyes and quite frankly they are great repeat customers.
1) people judge, so if you give them good customer service they return
2) most have a decent income so they will spend more on average
3) their business is their looks so they will return to maintain that income

I'm always intrigued at the moral delima of business. If I made money off rich white republican pro-life males I so wouldn't care because I could trott right down to the low income free clinic in the predominant non-white community & donate all that money I made to support birth control education....yanno *shrugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Eat Art
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2006 01:38:37 PM »

I agree with motley cruiser, I have a few friends who dance and they have some moooooooneeeey. And are all hardworking, well educated classy women.  I think I'd be thrilled if I was making something they thought was good enough to wear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.dadahaus.com
Fun and Funky Jewelry, Crafting Tips, and more
http://www.indiecraftshows.com
Find indie craft shows in your area!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Style Crush: Jessica Alba
Dress Like Rihanna At Any Size
Kate Middleton’s Style for Curvy Girls
Fashion Advice for "Pear-Shaped" Women
Fashion Tips For Taller Women
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...