A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,776
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 66% of Sublime Cherries and Chain stitching  (Read 3417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jenne_girle
« on: October 06, 2006 05:07:17 PM »

I tend to be verbose in pictures and words. I apologize. Feel free to skip what doesn't interest you. Smiley

So I wanted to do the Sublime Stitching stitch-it-kit cherries on a shirt I bought for my daughter. This is possibly the first time ever I've not been way behind in creating a gift. This is for her second birthday and that's still over a month away! Anyway, I digress.

I couldn't fit the three cherries in the space I wanted to put them, so I slipped the pattern beneath the shirt and traced just two cherries. I kinda half-traced, half free-handed the stem and leaf. The  cherries are done in back stem stitch, as is the leaf. The stem in split stitch.

Jenny encouraged me to practice the chain stitch, which seems to defeat me at every turn. So I did a border in chain and scalloped chain (which was much less challenging). The second side looked better than the first, so practice does seem to help!

I finished it off with a few french knot/detached chain mini-cherries and freehanded text in back stem stitch (I'm not sure that's actually the right term)

The red is all rayon (which in person is very pretty and shiny), with varying numbers of thread, and the brown and green are 100% cotton, all DMC. The shirt itself is 100% cotton and very thin. I suppose it will have to be a spring outfit. Smiley

I'm thinking of rounding the gift out with a pair of jeans, the sublime cherries on a back pocket (and probably not in rayon, since the bum of the jeans is likely to get a lot of wear) and scalloped chain (which I really love now!) around the bottom and little french knot cherries at the bottom and around the front pockets. We'll see if that makes it into her birthday gift or if it has to wait for Christmas... or Easter. Wink

Some thoughts on working with Rayon for those interested:

I love the finished look of the threads, so I'm definitely happy there. I think the brightness really gives a cherry-skin-shiny appearance. However, seeing it next to the green cotton, I don't find it to be as significant a difference as I would have thought. Certainly it seems less striking than it does when I just lay the two skiens beside each other.

I won't be putting rayon on any more baby clothes, simply because it seems like the need to wash in cold and hang dry (and therefore the propensity to not put this on the baby too darn often, and certainly not for meals) kind of detracts from the value of a little extra sheen.

As for ease of the physical process of embroidering with Rayon, I was surprised that it wasn't that bad. I had to go a little slower than normal (I'm not super fast to begin with), in order to make sure I wasn't tangling on the back of the work, and I had to be careful to make sure each of the individual threads all pulled through with each stitch. But just keeping my eye out was enough to keep myself out of trouble.

I think threading the needle was probably the most challenging, as wetting the thread to make it manageable also increased it's size enough to make it hard to fit all the threads through the eye.

knots (not the decorative ones, but the anchoring and finishing knots, 100% requirement for baby clothes, in my humble (and possibly mistaken) opinion) were difficult, but wetting the thread just a bit (basically licking my forefinger and thumb and running it along a few inches of the thread) made it easier.

I guess the only quality-of-stitching issue this brought up was due to the "pile" of the rayon thread. It tends to be stiffer and lift up from the fabric. I had to hold the thread taught from the backside as I did each stitch, otherwise I ended up having my stitches really loose. I realized this on the background cherry, which became a bit scrunched in because as I was backstitching below the previous stitch, the stitches were so high that I was actually going back down into the fabric on the other side of the stitch, instead of directly underneath it.

Oh well, live and learn. (or is that stitch and learn? Smiley)

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006 10:11:44 PM by jenne_girle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

pennylane
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 08:33:57 PM »

That looks so good. Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006 09:22:45 AM »

I agree. What a great shirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jenne_girle
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006 09:46:46 PM »

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elizabethdee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006 07:54:06 AM »

dear Jenne,

wow--the shirt looks beautiful, both the sum and the parts! your stitches look great, including the chain stitch. and you are making me want to try rayon thread because it looks so pretty (but i know i just won't keep up with the special laundering. it's strictly machine only in this house.)

thanks for taking the time to write out all the details and to photograph them too. i'll figure out how to upload photos when i have something worth uploading!! if ever....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenne_girle
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006 12:39:23 PM »

Thanks ElizabethDee! You are always so sweet! And I'm sure you have something worth posting. Would love to see your work one of these days!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ongir
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006 01:05:31 PM »

This looks awesome!  I really like how the chain stitch is done; it is almost like a ribbon trim. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 06:25:45 AM »

I really love this shirt!  Thanks for the detailed notes on your process too.  It's very helpful.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006 10:14:16 AM by Katxena » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jese

"language is a virus from outer space" - wsbIII

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006 10:23:48 AM »

very awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenne_girle
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2006 01:55:55 PM »

Thanks all! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Preparation and Stir-fry Methods for Cooking
Stip fibers from peapods for Chinese food ingredie
Important ingredients for Chinese cooking
Learn about basic Chinese cooking equipment
Art of Chinese Cooking - Food Basics Part 2 of 8
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...