A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,457
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Guinea Pigs new home  (Read 2569 times)
Tags for this thread: pet_cage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jsy_duck

Ducks should rule the world!!

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2006 12:36:16 PM »

Hi

My Pig Meg was geting fed up of being in a house that had high plastic sides that she couldnt see out of, and i found that her cage didnt look good in my room, so...i built her a new one.

a closer view of how i attached the cubes together - she has not chewed on the wire clips so i have left them (they were only going to be temporary until i found something better)

This is a photo of her floor space, i have different 'toys' such as an igloo, tubes and wooden hidey holes that i change around so she has some variety.  

she is so much happier and so am i as she's so 'talkative' when she can see everything and be part of what's going on.  

hope u like

jsy_duck
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010 03:15:24 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pd8151
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 05:10:45 PM »

I love it!  She looks like she has lots of room to run and play!  I built a new cage for one of our guineas but it didn't work out too well.  I have one question though, is it hard to change the bedding?  Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
jsy_duck

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006 07:03:18 AM »

Hiya

thanks for you comment, glad you like it.

cleaning her bedding out isn't too bad.  I've got a PVC table cloth type thing underneath the paper/shavings/hay.  So i take her out, take the grid off, then roll the pvc up and empty it into a large black bin bag.  As well I can wash the PVC down which is good. 

At first it was diff to clean her out, but got a larger mat for the bottom that i just fold underneath the rug - in the first photo u can just see it in the bottom right corner (the pink material) which she leaves alone, cos it's underneath everything else.

jsy_duck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006 10:20:39 AM »

ooh pleeeeease tell me where you got the cubes from!!!  i am desperate to make one of these for Crunchie - see my avatar.  he just lost his playmate so he's depressed and i need to cheer him up somehow!

meg has so much space - she looks so happy and cute! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
jsy_duck

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006 12:23:50 PM »

Hiya

if you check out http://www.guineapigcages.com/ they have loads of images of gp houses that people have built.  http://www.guineapigcages.com/where.htm provides a drop-down list of where u can get materials from.

I got mine in B&Q but dont know if u are in UK or US etc so that website should be able to help.  Sorry to hear that Cruchie lost his mate, Meg lost her's a while back so having a new home has cheered her up quite a bit. 

jsy_duck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mave

do-dee-do-do-dee-do-dodododo

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006 01:28:09 PM »

Thanks!  Am in UK and am heading for B&Q asap! 

I'm sooo excited about this...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my (very short!) wist http://www.wists.com/MaveH
chasing_cars

n00b knitter. ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006 04:42:06 PM »

I have a hamster, not a guinea pig, but I wish I had enough room in my bedroom for a cage like this for the little fuzzbutt. One day when I own a huge house I will devote an entire room to hamsters and maybe then I can make a cage as cool as this. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More out of place than anything you know.
Like an opera at a disco.
When all you wanted was a rock show (tonight).
green monk
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006 06:37:24 AM »

The cube homes are the best! My piggie went through all kinds of homes, using what I had around, until I adopted 2 more piggies, and the home had to get much larger Tongue  I noticed your front grids overlap.. is there a particular reason you did it?

For anyone considering this kind of house, its really the best! the shape is completely flexible, so it could be super long, and only one grid wide, or a square, or a circle really. also, the cage is collapsable, especially witht he zip ties. Its really easy to transport, which i have to do alot!

jsy_duck, i used zip ties on mine as well, and if you trim the tail off it works wonderfully, and looks better, and you dont have to worry about the piggies chewing on it Smiley

I love your toys too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
jsy_duck

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006 09:40:29 AM »

Hiya Green monk

my front grid over laps because i have the water bottle there, it isnt shown on the 2nd picture so u could see my piggie.  My girl used to like moving the side of the cage about by hanging onto the bottle, this has stopped her doing that.  she can still bang on the bottle when she wants my attention but it doesnt move things about as much.

i must trim the zip ties i know, suprisingly she has left them alone maybe cos they're on the outside. 

yeah i love the flexibility of cube houses and so does my pig cos i can move her to different areas of my home or give her a different shapped house so she doesnt get bored

jsy_duck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
green monk
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006 06:29:30 PM »

ah! i get it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Outfit of the Day: Khaki Coat, White T-Shirt and Black Jeans
Scary Movie Inspired Halloween Costume Ideas
5 Zara Coats to Invest in This Fall
This Is the One Fashion Piece That Increases Value
3 Primark Outfits
Latest Blog Articles
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags
Whatz Up, My Peeps?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...