A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,745
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cubile mustela putorius furo (+ pattern/tutorial)  (Read 6976 times)
Tags for this thread: ferret , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2004 11:14:07 PM »

=ferret bed (kinda - we used a latin translator we found online)
so, ferrets love hammocks, obviously, and ferrets love soft things, and things that they can climb inside.  i had a lot of yarn left over from another project, and was backed up on my weasel laundry, so i decided to make another hammock.  this one's about 14" square, because i made it for two rather large-ish male ferrets to share, but it could be scaled down for a smaller animal or smaller cage.  i've heard that rats, and my friend's chinchilla, like hammocks too.
http://hells-bells.net/sarah/hammockfloor.jpg
flat
http://hells-bells.net/sarah/hammockcyclops.jpg
"action shot" (the ferret cage is in kind of a dim corner and my cheap digicam doesn't have a flash, so my friend had to just hold the hammock - no, redlance isn't really a cyclops.  he just wouldn't stop moving.)

PATTERN:

materials:
size "k" hook
red lion "homespun" style yarn - about 1 1/2 skeins.  
(red heart has something like this called "baby clouds" which is about sixty cents cheaper a skein at wal-mart, but the texture isn't as soft.)

base/floor:
rw 1: ch 6, join to first ch w/ sl st, ch 51, sc in 6th ch from hook
rw 2-44: sc 45
rw 45: ch 6, sc in first sc of last row, sc 45, ch 6, join to last sc in previous row w/ sc

cover:
rw 1: sc around edge of base, leaving the loops on the outside (just pick up a stitch at the base of each loop)

like so

rw 2: dc only in inside loops of each sc (makes the cover stitces perpendicular to the base)
rw 3: dc in each dc around
rw 4: continue to dc around, decreasing every third stitch
rw 5-9: dc in each dc around
rw 10-13 (or until opening at top of hammock is ferret-sized): repeat rw 4
sc 1 round, tie off

the ties i made are just some cheapie yarn chained long enough to wrap around a couple of cage bars and tie.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012 02:41:42 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 07:45:23 AM »

Very nice!  I'm sure my little Samurai would adore something like that.  I think I'd have to make it more like a tam; not so open and with a less fluffy yarn.  He has a tendency to get his little digging nails caught in stuff that is too plush, even though I keep his nails well trimmed, etc.  He just enjoys a good dig every once in a while, and I don't think the homespun would cut it!  But yours turned out beautifully.  You should consider making up oodles and donating them to a shelter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 08:01:57 AM »

i would really like to make a bunch for a shelter or something, acutally.  it'd be a good outlet for the surplus i'm probably going to end up with - lately i've been really getting in to coming up with new ferret bedding.  the problem is that there's only one ferret shelter in the state, and it's on the other freakin' end.  i guess i could just mail a bunch of presents to them, though.  it's amazing how expensive commercial bedding seems to be!
my boys have a problem with digging, too, but they do it in weirder places, like inside our boots and in the food bin...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2004 11:06:39 AM »

Oh, Samurai digs everywhere.  It is one habit (among many) we haven't been able to break him of.  Boots, hammocks, our ankles (you can't get IN there!!), the doorway...

Are you a member of the Ferret Mailing List? Not only is it a great resource, but you could also probably find plenty of shelters in need of donations.  A couple care-packages later and all your extra yarn will be cleaned right up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2004 06:51:30 PM »

no, i'm not a member.  i'd like to be, though ..
our mongo doesn't have a digging problem on our ankles so much as a biting problem.  it's odd because he doesn't really bite anywhere else anymore, but he'll still go after bare feet and ankles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004 07:50:58 PM »

lol.

My little Tasha was like that, bless her little furry heart.  She never bit anyone, except in the middle of the night, she'd creep up onto the bed and bite the crap out of our toes.  Just our toes.  Nothing else.  And it could hurt through a layer of sheets and a comforter, god help you AND your toes if she found her way under the sheets! 

Here's the link for instructions on joining the FML:
http://www.ferretcentral.org/faq/part1.html#fml
(Also, the Ferret Central FAQ is a GREAT resource, if you haven't already read it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilgothkatt
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2004 12:20:02 PM »

I would like tobring ferret lover's attention to ferrets anonhttp://www.ferretsanon.com/ being a former resident of Califorina and member of ferrets anon. I know the uphill battle they are fighting. Ferrets are illegal in CA. Ferrets anon is trying to legalize them, they also run underground ferret rescues and help burdened ferret owners with vet bills. Over the years i have adopted many rescued ferrets from them. includeing Jack, he was abandoned at a city park and when found severly dehydrated and almost dead. I think these people fight a truly noble cause (in the ferret world) and i'm sure they would appreciate any and all donations you could offer. thanks for listening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonke ys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004 11:50:44 PM »

That's awesome, lilgothkatt.  It's good to know that there are people out there fighting the good fight against ferret oppression!  There's no reason for the little guys to be treated so horribly.  They're really not disease carriers, they don't hurt the environment in any way (especially since most pet store ferrets are spayed/neutered before they're sold) and for the last time, they're not rodents!!  I don't understand why people can't get that figured out.  It's like saying that long haired Chihuahuas are a kind of cat just because they're about the same size and can look kinda like each other.  I had actually gotten a link to this page before from a ferret magazine, so not to worry.  I don't want California ferrets to be illegal either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004 11:39:56 PM »

!!!!!
To the Members of the California State Senate:
  I am returning Senate Bill 89 without my signature. I love ferrets. I costarred with a ferret in Kindergarten Cop. However, this  bill is far too bureaucratic and it legalizes ferrets prior to conducting an environmental impact report (EIR). I am concerned that there has not been proper study to determine whether ferrets are detrimental to the health and safety of California citizens and the environment. The EIR should be completed and evaluated as part of the decision making process before changing the legal status of ferret possession. For these reasons I am returning this measure without my signature.

Sincerely,
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Too bureaucratic?  What the #$%! is that supposed to mean?!?  Also, I really love the way that he brings up some movie he was in just to try and prove his point.  Really statesmanlike there.  Besides, he hardly has anything to lose by it.  It's not even a ferret legalization.  All it does is grant amnesty to pre-existing Californian ferrets after their people have payed a fee and, if I remember right, prove vaccination.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lova
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007 09:54:44 AM »

Please help me. I'm the kind of person that needs to see a pic to see where I'm going.  I have a special needs Farret and 2 more on the way.  This would be wonderful if I could make one or two of these for them. She loves to sleep in my yarn to start with so I know she would love it. And with two more on the way we need more sleeping arangments. Is there anyway you could repost or even send me a pic.  I'm new to this sight and not sure how it all works yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Colorful Typography in Photoshop
How to Create Shiny Reflective Text in Photoshop
How to Remove Vocals in Audacity
How to Create Whiter Brighter Teeth In Photoshop
How to Add a Watermark in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...