A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Operation Christmas Child! - fill a shoebox!  (Read 5710 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Irish_Belle
I put my hands among the flames. Nothing burns.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2006 09:28:42 AM »

Ok, mods I couldn't think where else to put this, so if it really isn't appropriate please move it! Cheesy

ok, Operations Christmas Child isn't a swap as such. Basically you fill a shoebox with toys and sweets for a poor child in a third world country, or poverty stricken areas of europe, asia and africa. I have been doing this every year since 2001, its such a worthwhile cause people - seriously, you feel so good thinking of a little boy or girl with little or nothing to look forward to, recieving your shoebox full of goodies, and the smile on their faces! You don't get anything back, except the knowledge that you've done something for someone who has nothing. We are so lucky to recieve gifts for christmas, we are so lucky to live in peaceful area's - not stricken by war and conflinct. The website can explain it better than me. I just wanted to post this here, just in case that someone, even one person! who hadn't heard of it, might decide to do it. It doesn't cost much to do, but its worth a lot!

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC.asp?MPGID=1

Ireland: http://www.samaritans-purse.ie/WhatWeDo/OCC/index.php
Canada: http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/occ/
UK: http://www.samaritanspurse.uk.com/occ/

More information...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Christmas_Child

A shoe box filled with small toys, school supplies, other gifts

I have found some negative sites about the project. I'm a catholic myself, but not a liberal christian, I have my own views and opinions, but I'm totally against giving out religious articles to those who don't want it, and roping in vunerable people. Apperantly, they do give out christian leaflets in certain areas that agree to it. But I think thats irrelavant, I'm thinking about the children here.

If you're totally against that sort of thing, you don't have to do it! I'm just posting this in case there might be some people interested!

National Collection Week is November 13 - 20

There is usually a drop of location in your city... luckily my school does it yearly, and there is a collection in my city.

From the irish website....
Started in North Wales in the early 1990s Operation Christmas Child has now grown to be the worlds largest childrens Christmas project.

Last year almost seven and a half million needy children in nearly 100 countries received a love-filled Operation Christmas Child shoebox, and over 300,000 of those boxes came from Ireland !

Many of these children are in orphanages, street-kid shelters, hospitals or in families stuck in the poverty trap. Their Christmas day is just like any other day, and for many their shoebox is the only present they receive.

Operation Christmas Child is more than a shoebox, it means so much to the boy or girl to know that someone, far away, whom they will never meet, is thinking of them. It brings joy, hope and a little of Gods love into desperate situations, focusing on the true meaning of Christmas Jesus Christ, Gods greatest gift.

Taking part is easy and by filling a shoebox with a range of small items suitable for a child of your chosen gender and age range, you can send a box of love to Eastern Europe or Southern Africa.

Samaritans Purse has developed an infrastructure in Ireland to collect, sort and ship the boxes, which last year went to Romania, Belarus, Croatia, Ukraine, Serbia, Armenia, Mozambique and Swaziland. Our relationship with trusted in-country partners ensures that each box is delivered to a needy child.

It was August when we revisited Machava orphanage, near Maputo, Mozambique, where last Christmas all the three hundred orphans had happily (and noisily !) received their OCC shoeboxes.

Months later all the girls still carefully place their boxes on their bed each day. They have all the toys inside and also put their valuable possessions in it. They cherish their boxes. They carefully pick up the boxes and put them next to their beds each night. Some girls had even neatly folded any of the torn wrapping paper from the box and put it inside the box to keep!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006 09:33:23 AM by Irish_Belle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheRehn

being a FOC is cool :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 12:17:12 PM »

Due to the information provide on the US site in which they state the primary aim is not providing the presents, but to evangelise
"Take an ordinary shoe box, fill it with toys and other presents, and you have an extraordinary gift for a child in need of joy and hope. Most important, these shoe boxes provide opportunities for local believers to tell children about Jesus Christ through Gospel literature and evangelism programs. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift (2 Corinthians 9:15, NIV)."
(they seem to change the literature for the UK collection of boxes), which I personally am not comfortable with, I have found another charity called 21st Century Child which is secular and also distributes shoeboxes for Christmas, so if any others are concerned about donating to Operation Christmas Child/Samaritans purse perhaps they would like to donate the shoebox to 21st Century Child. http://www.21stcenturychild.org/ you can e-mail them to find out your local collection point or post your box to their address.

Of course whichever charity you are donating your shoebox to, it is super-fun to fill and send gifts to someone less fortunate.

My brother and sister's school got involved with doing boxes for Operation Christmas Child last year and the pupils greatly enjoyed it, and think how much fun it will be for the child to open it.

Do you handmake anything to go into your boxes Irish_Belle, I was thinking of making fleece scarfs and mittens - what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't been too well recently - not fallen off the face of the earth.
Ooh - I have a Wist http://www.wists.com/TheRehn
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006 06:36:06 AM »

Due to the information provide on the US site in which they state the primary aim is not providing the presents, but to evangelise
"Take an ordinary shoe box, fill it with toys and other presents, and you have an extraordinary gift for a child in need of joy and hope. Most important, these shoe boxes provide opportunities for local believers to tell children about Jesus Christ through Gospel literature and evangelism programs. Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift (2 Corinthians 9:15, NIV)."
(they seem to change the literature for the UK collection of boxes), which I personally am not comfortable with, I have found another charity called 21st Century Child which is secular and also distributes shoeboxes for Christmas, so if any others are concerned about donating to Operation Christmas Child/Samaritans purse perhaps they would like to donate the shoebox to 21st Century Child. http://www.21stcenturychild.org/ you can e-mail them to find out your local collection point or post your box to their address.

Of course whichever charity you are donating your shoebox to, it is super-fun to fill and send gifts to someone less fortunate.

My brother and sister's school got involved with doing boxes for Operation Christmas Child last year and the pupils greatly enjoyed it, and think how much fun it will be for the child to open it.

Do you handmake anything to go into your boxes Irish_Belle, I was thinking of making fleece scarfs and mittens - what do you think?

It seems in America they're very into the whole christian thing, but we have to remember that Christianity primarly is responsible for most of the charitable causes around the world, at least its helping people. I'm not comfortable with the whole distribution of leaflets, but as long as a kid gets a present, i'm happy. They can bin the leaflets if they want, they're not forced into it, and if they do have an interest, well they do.

I don't usually craft stuff for them, I don't have the time this year unfortunately for that. But a scarf and mittems sounds lovely! Its all the more special.
My school does it because its a Catholic school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

capitanjen
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006 11:26:36 PM »

when i go out people hand me advertisements for stores and sales and such, so isnt this kind of like the same thing? i mean, theyre not forcing you to believe it, read it, or even look at it right? you just get it and walk away...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fght ff yr dmns. crft n yr slp.
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006 07:47:21 AM »

when i go out people hand me advertisements for stores and sales and such, so isnt this kind of like the same thing? i mean, theyre not forcing you to believe it, read it, or even look at it right? you just get it and walk away...

yes, buts that totally seperate to the box.. i doubt they get adverts in third world or impoverished countries.. they're there for the shoeboxes..

I've sent mine off anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006 08:00:49 AM »

Our church is doing the shoe box thing and The way it was presented to us is the children hear  a short salvation sermon before they recieve their box.

I feel it like this. if they don't want the box they don't have to listen.  if they do want the  box then good stick around. and what harm can come ,,, its up to each person as an individual to accept and  believe.  No one  forces them to listen! 

so  those of us  filling a  box  can say  well, I am doing it for the children and  so I will do  my part.   I myself do it for the children and pray that at least one soul is saved. (ok so thats MY believe)  no one has to  agree  and I know  plenty will disagree....... but  really christmas  would not  be a  holiday had Jesus  not  been born  SO  why not at least give  a  pamplet too.  and  liek I said  its MY OPINION  and  you don't have to agree. 

On a lighter note..... I family member I have that is not  a christian  did the shoe box thing last year and had gottena  bunch of  "alternative" literature and added to the  box  saying "well,  we all should  have  choices  right!"   it was  all in english  and  not  sure if it  could be  read  so it all probably ended up as paper airplanes or  something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
TheRehn

being a FOC is cool :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006 03:16:32 PM »

I think it is totally up to you which charity you send shoeboxes with, I was just bigging up 21stcenturychild.or g as an alternative because that's what I feel comfortable with, but I think the kids will appreciate the gifts whatever charity they receive them from.
So go for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haven't been too well recently - not fallen off the face of the earth.
Ooh - I have a Wist http://www.wists.com/TheRehn
Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006 07:12:47 AM »

Our church is doing the shoe box thing and The way it was presented to us is the children hear  a short salvation sermon before they recieve their box.

I feel it like this. if they don't want the box they don't have to listen.  if they do want the  box then good stick around. and what harm can come ,,, its up to each person as an individual to accept and  believe.  No one  forces them to listen! 

so  those of us  filling a  box  can say  well, I am doing it for the children and  so I will do  my part.   I myself do it for the children and pray that at least one soul is saved. (ok so thats MY believe)  no one has to  agree  and I know  plenty will disagree....... but  really christmas  would not  be a  holiday had Jesus  not  been born  SO  why not at least give  a  pamplet too.  and  liek I said  its MY OPINION  and  you don't have to agree. 

On a lighter note..... I family member I have that is not  a christian  did the shoe box thing last year and had gottena  bunch of  "alternative" literature and added to the  box  saying "well,  we all should  have  choices  right!"   it was  all in english  and  not  sure if it  could be  read  so it all probably ended up as paper airplanes or  something. 

My school is a catholic school.. well it is ireland.. ahem, and we weren't told that much about the religious thing, we were given the leaflets, and basically it said that if a child wants to accept a leaflet on jesus and the meaning of christmas, they will be given.
I think its necessary that it should be given out, like you said, thats what christmas is all about. Its awful that its so commericial nowdays. i like to make my own christmas cards, and i paint a christmas scene on them (i did the three wise men last year), as that is the true meaning of christmas, clebrating the birth of jesus, even though we aren't sure exactly when it was.. but its about giving to others, and making those elss fortunate happy. And it feels great to be doing something, just a little box with toys makes a difference to a child. Theres so many people with money that do nothing. And essentially, they have nothing,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006 07:17:57 AM »

My children's school is no longer doing it because it is religious and I guess they got in trouble, but my daughters girl scout troop  did it this year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Irish_Belle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006 11:32:05 AM »

My children's school is no longer doing it because it is religious and I guess they got in trouble, but my daughters girl scout troop  did it this year.

why would they have gotten in trouble?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Sweet Story Of How Pralines Came To New Orleans
Raspberry-Ricotta Ice Cream Recipe
Strawberry Rhubarb Fruit Crisp Recipe
How to Make Savory Salt and Paper Cookies With Pickled Strawberry Jam
Four Pounds of Blueberries Go Into One Pie at Bang Bang Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...