A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vienna, Austria?  (Read 10203 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sketchygirl
« on: October 06, 2006 07:21:55 AM »

Hi -

I'm visiting my friend (an American who is studying abroad for a semester) in Vienna at the end of November.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend cool places to go while I'm there. Of course I'm interested in museums and such, but that info is easy for me to get. I'm more interested in finding out about things off the beaten path that aren't in travel guides.

Any tips would be helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gearwe
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006 03:05:20 AM »

Hi!
I live in Vienna; what kind of things are you interested in? There's lots to see and do - if you can give me some idea of what you have in mind I'll do the best I can to come up with some ideas  Smiley
Hana.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wrybrarian
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006 08:28:39 PM »

Hey! I was looking to start this exact topic! I'll be in Vienna for Christmas.

I'm wondering if there are any fabric or yarn stores, or crafty events that I simply must not miss?? And will anything be open? I'll be there from Christmas Eve day thru New Years...

Grin

Cheers,

rachel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

letitiah
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008 12:49:02 PM »

I'll be in Vienna this July! Any good flea markets or crafty shops?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raeonix
Crochet, Cross-stitch, Scrapbooking

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009 07:12:18 PM »

I'm hoping to make an extended trip to Vienna within the next year, and am looking for all kinds of information, from craft-related things to schools to culture... anything! Even tips from previous visitors would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Juliska
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009 06:46:36 AM »

hello! although your posts are old, I think I could help here a little... There is a flea-market at Naschmarkt (Kettenbrückengasse-Linke Wienzeile in the 4th district) every Saturday from 6.30 a.m. till 4.p.m.
I really love the "Museumsquartier" http://www.mqw.at/ - there are museums (as the name says...  Wink ) and shops and cafés... In the narrow streets near Museumsquartier in the 7th district there are a lot of small designershops (Siebensterngasse to Neubaugasse)...
If you are coming now for Christmas, there are many, many Christmas-markets, I especially like Spittelbergmarkt http://www.spittelberg.at/index.php?en_weihnachtsmarkt , and also at Schloss Schönbrunn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010 11:53:40 AM »

hi! i've got a few tips for craft shops and places that are not that central. but vienna is a small city, so everything is easy to reach.

there's a huge fabric/ribbon/buttons … stuff store called "müller"
i love spending whole afternoons there.
http://www.textil-mueller.at/filialen.php they don't have a english homepage, but that's the contact information. it's a little outside vienna, but it's just a few minutes via train and absolutely worth a visit

it's a little strange when you're there for the first time, as it is basically a huge storehouse, like a giant flea market or something. while it looks a bit ugly in the beginning, there's a lot of nice stuff to find, and the people are great.

they have a huge room full of buttons and a room full of ribbon, and the area with the shelves full of buttons is bigger than my kitchen.
it's super cheap, they have super heavy, beautiful upholstery fabric for 10€ a metre, i think that's the most expensive. i bought nice embroidered and otherwise embellished taffeta for 7€ a metre, the same fabric was 18€ in another fabric store.

and another great store is "boesner". it's located in the 11th district, U3 station "simmering"
http://www.boesner.at
they carry all kinds of paper and paint. i especally like the book binding section. they have stuff for pottery, painting, book binding and most crafts that are not fabric related.
the most people who shop there are artists (photographers, painters, designers …)

if you like "heurigen" (a kind of restaurant), you can find them in grinzing, a part of the 19th district where the vineyards start http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grinzing#Topography
there's a place in wienerwald where you can oversee vienna called "am cobenzl"

and i second schloss schönbrunn.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010 03:46:41 PM by erdbeerblau » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliska
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010 07:45:54 AM »

Yes, Textil-Müller ROCKS  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw an Eagle
How to Draw a Horse
How to Draw a Crocodile
How to Draw a Dove
How to Draw a Koala
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...