A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
809 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: rooting hair on a raw clay head: HELP  (Read 2512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

enchantedwhimsies
« on: October 06, 2006 06:39:49 AM »

I have a tried this twice with 2 different sizes of clipped sewing needle tools I made. each time the result was the same: big holes in the head, sloppy looking hair, mishapen head!

I KNOW i am doing it wrong, I don't know how others are doing this. Of course I will continue with the trial & error but I also feel like i am wasting time trying to reinvent the wheel!!

Every tutorial i have seen on this just says snip a needle half-way to make a fork, stick it in something for a handle, double over piece of hair and push into head. has anyone done this? does anyone have pix??

should i be asking in the doll board?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006 08:31:47 AM »

hmm.  the on;y ways ive seen to attach hair is  gluing it  onto baked clay head or Into holes or slits made on the baked head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006 09:10:25 AM »

There are lessons and tips on putting hair onto polymer heads (baked and unbaked, using real or fake/mohair/etc or clay hair) on this page at GlassAttic, if you want to check them out:
http://www.glassattic.com/~glassatt/polymer/sculpting_body_and_tools.htm
(...click on Hair, then scroll down to Non-Clay Hair, On Unbaked Clay)

Every tutorial i have seen on this just says snip a needle half-way to make a fork, stick it in something for a handle, double over piece of hair and push into head. has anyone done this? does anyone have pix??

Doing that is discussed on the page too, and you might get some suggestions there that might help (using a smaller needle, or less hair per plug, or changing the types of hair or position of the clumps, etc.).   

Also, you said you're head gets mis-shapen, do you have warm hands or use soft clay?  In those cases, be sure and let the clay rest for a day or more to stiffen it, and maybe cool your hands on a cold gel pack or something every so often, or hold the head with something that keeps your hands' heat from touching it much, etc.

Some people also partly bake the head to firm it up a bit, or bake with an impressed area left to add a bit of raw clay (into which the plugs can be stuck), etc.

should i be asking in the doll board?

That would be a good idea too!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006 12:49:15 PM »

hi - i did look on glass attic (which while has tons of info, i'm sorry to say i find torturous and has tons of dead links <sorry> )

i may bake the head and leave a depresion for raw clay, that's a good idea i haven't tried.

i use cernit which, by nature, goes soft pretty quickly BUT  even so it seems like the technique of pushing things into the crown of the head changes the shape of the head.

i will just have to continue with trial and error and go back to glass attic to see if i missed anything, thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006 06:41:57 AM »

That kind of re-rooting tool/technique is great for doing vinyl dolls, like Barbies, but I can see where it wouldn't really work with clay. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006 08:42:24 AM »

but I can see where it wouldn't really work with clay.

It may sound counterintuitive, but I can assure you that it does work  Grin . . . there have been many beautiful heads of hair created that way on polymer heads.

Diane B. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Segmented Ponytail
Long and Woven Braid Tutorial
Hair Tyrant: Making Your Look More Memorable
Hair Tyrant: From Imitation to Inspiration
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...