A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft Show Pearls of Wisdom...  (Read 31265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jessersmisadventures

we are the knights that say nee!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2009 12:34:25 PM »

I read somewhere that one jewelry designer/ crafter puts out a "treasure chest" or orphan beads and/or interesting marbles and polished rocks for the kids . . . the kids will spend their time happily sorting through them looking for the "perfect" one, leaving your beautiful wares unmolested (hopefully) and their parents free to shop.  I am definitely planning on doing this when I start doing fairs this spring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my beautiful, brand new shop! I am currently offering free shipping to all fellow Craftsters!

www.Palmyria.etsy.c om
micie66
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009 02:26:04 PM »

I am getting ready for my first show/expo and I had a question.

How many of you take checks? Is there any way to be sure it won't bounce or is that a chance I take? What about just being a cash only booth? Pros/cons? Any help on this subject would be appreciated. Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009 02:30:24 PM by micie66 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

thegreengriffin
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2010 04:38:24 PM »

one thing i didnt see on here is if youre doing outdoor shows, you MUST be wind-proof!  i have just some big clean rocks to hold down paperwork (buisness cards, flyers ect), clothes pins for tablecloth weights (the clips dont fit on my tables), and tent weights.
then when that inevitable sudden burst of wind comes, you can stand confidently while everyone else is running after flying papers!

I saw earlier someone was talking about a shiny platter of pins to attract customers, i have a great antique table mirror so people can try on the barrettes i sell (really it just 'creates movement' when people walk by and that gets their attention.

I also love clothespins for a variety of things, i already said tablecloth weights, but theyre great for displaying stuff hanging off your tent or highlighting a certain part of a purse or something.

and extras of everything you use often in your items, glue, needle and thread ect as well as extra barrette backs and floral tape for example.  you never know what will need fixing

also, if you have a website its great to have a permanent tag in all your items with the url.  eg, you make shirts, someone is wearing it after they bought it but they took the hang tag off!!  someone compliments them on it and they say 'i got it at a great craft fair from this wonderful vendor.  i dont remember her name but she had the cutest purple shoes on'  no sale...but if they have a tag they can pass on your information and - potential sale!

hope this all helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RavingRosemary

Beware the weasel....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2010 12:52:02 PM »

My mum does enameled jewelry, and I grew up on the sidewalks behind her booths.  When I was prepping for my own first show (soap) this month, I asked for her words of wisdom.  The best: "Don't wear overalls!  They're really hard to keep off the floor in Port-a-Johns."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

English Major Soaps! on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/englishmajorsoaps
VictoryBags
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2011 12:08:07 PM »

Something that took me a long time to learn: Stop crafting by 6pm the day before a show, and pack your car the night before you leave. It reduces stress the day of the show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brutemus and friends

Do not copy my art or trademarked names/characters

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011 03:27:55 PM »

I'm so glad I read some of these pages before going to my first craft fair! There are things I didn't think of xD My fair is in the middle of April so I still have time to prepare
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please do not copy my art or trademarked names/characters
My Tumblr My DeviantArt
Weaving Mama
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011 05:42:10 PM »

There is so much to remember and I usually forget a few things.
I will follow your advice and pack everything and make LISTS!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melmoz
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011 03:46:38 PM »

I was wondering what usually sells best? I'm thinking about entering a craft fair and was wondering if there is anything I should leave at home  Smiley I make stuffed monsters and clay figures, is there anything that works really well? And anything that really doesn't? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShinyKitty78
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2011 08:17:46 AM »

I always try to have a selection of lower priced (less than $10) impulse Items I make jewelry so I have a stash of resin pendants and glass and base metal earrings that are all less than $10 I seem to make most of my money with these than my more expensive pieces
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists http://www.wists.com/Shinykitty

Goddess Swap-Crafting like a fiend
Akashasmiles

My 5 year plan? To be Supreme Overlord!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2011 03:29:10 AM »

Ohhhh! Thank goodness for this thread. I'm kinda new here and I'm doing my first show later in October, and now I am a little less worried about it. I've only been to one and never sold at any before. pinkninky's list is great! Thanks for posting it. I'm going to make sure I have EVERYTHING on it!! Thanks guys

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Large-Busted Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Pear-Shaped Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Petite Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Athletic Women
The Best Swimsuit Styles for Flat-Chested Women
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...