A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,548
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Craft Show Pearls of Wisdom...  (Read 31232 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkninky
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006 10:56:51 PM »

Your list is great! I'm using it to prepare as well.
I DO NOT want to forget anything for my craft show coming up on the 24th and 25th!!!

yes! preperation is key! 2 day shows are a blast, i hope you do great out there and have tons of fun. besides, its easier to have fun and relax when you know you're prepared  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006 05:42:48 PM »

Thanks!!! I hope that I have tons of fun too!!!...I better get started on my displays...(my dad cut them out of wood for me but they are still waiting to be sanded and painted) 3 more weeks left until the big craft show day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2006 01:18:23 PM »

I'm going to sticky this.  If anyone else has any advice, please list it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

saucerville

Art. It's what I do.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006 02:06:19 PM »

Mornings are always rushed, but take your time.  Spending time in the morning to make sure that everything is even and well displayed will carry you through the whole day.  Hastily set-up booths are unappealing to passerby.  If you have a booth setup that you really like, take some mental notes for the next time and try to re-create it.  It takes a lot of trial and error, but once you find something that works, go with it.  As far as displays go, they don't have to be anything fancy.  In an art/craft setting, people really respond to ingenious displays.  Plus, reclaimed or recycled items are unique and inexpensive.  Good luck in all your crafty ventures. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006 08:04:39 PM »

pinkninky, I thought of something I forgot that you could add to your list.

Because I was accepting credit cards at my booth, I had a difficult time when people had to sign the receipt. I should have brought some small clipboards, maybe with pens attached!! I was constantly having to move my bags off part of my table to make room for people to write.

These can also be used for mailing list sign ups, special orders, etc.

Just a brainstorm, as I am planning my next fair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.ne t
babygoinplaces

Baby, I'm goin' places!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006 05:29:13 AM »

A clipboard is a great idea. 

I bought a rolling drawer cart that slid under a card table that I used in addition to 6-ft tables.  I had my "junk" in there such as kraft bags, extra biz cards, scissors, so forth.  I could pull it out from under the table and use it as counter space for writing receipts and for people to use while writing a check.  It didn't take any other space up since it slid under a table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://babygoinplaces.com
Baby Goin' Places--for the baby on the go!  Slings, pocketchangers, custom clothing, and now custom monogramming and embroidery!
http://babygoinplaces.etsy.com
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006 06:24:41 AM »

I have a questiona and I figured you craft show people full of wisdom could help me.
I'm new to selling my things and this is my first craft fair. Are using Stop and Shop bags to put people's purchases in unproffesional? I'm just a college student working at McDs and I don't have the money to buy plain bags. Is it a big turnoff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Darkest_Faerie
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006 04:22:59 PM »

I think a bag is a bag...no big deal...heck some shops that I know(like real businesses that are open all 7 days a week) use recycled bags.
I dont think it matters...just make sure that they are not all grubby or anything and it'll be fine.

-----
So excited that my topic got a sticky!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-See my photography here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceylheureux/
-Visit my blog here: http://tinystarcreations.blogspot.com/
-Check out my zazzle site here:
http://www.zazzle.com/paper_airplane*
DsgndbyRJ
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006 07:29:11 AM »

re: bags - I think it depends on the show and on your product.   I personally think it cheapens your product and your booth when an items gets tossed in a rumpled old grocery bag.  You can buy brown paper lunch bags, or plain loot bags at the dollar store if your items are small enough, or use small white garbage bags if you have larger items.

Unless you're all about using recycled/reclaimed materials. . . I think packaging is important, and people will remember you if you have great packaging!  Your customers don't know that you're a student working at McDo, nor should they - all they know is that you're a crafter selling your wares.

----------------------

And to add a few more pearls:
- Be sure to read the show rules carefully - can you have a "sale" or "X percentage off "sign?  can you hold your own raffle (chances are you can't!)?

- Make sure you're table coverings hang to the floor, and give them a quick press the night before - you want your booth to be inviting, not cheap looking.

- If you're a first-timer, set your booth up once or twice at home prior to the show - get it down pat, how long does it take?  Allow for at least that much time the morning of.  Take pictures so you have a reference for next time - of what does and doesn't work

- If you can, walk around the show while you're there - what booths draw you in?  Are there 3 other booths with a similar product to yours?  How can you make yourself stand out when people have already walked by 3 other scarf booths?

- Never chew gum at your booth!  if you can avoid eating at your booth even better, of course if you're alone you can't help it, just try to be subtle about it, and don't pack a smelly lunch - would you want to smell someone's tuna sandwich while you're shopping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.RJBeads.etsy.co m - beads and jewelry making supplies! **SALE ALERT**

www.designedbyrj.bl ogspot.com
f1focus
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006 12:43:18 PM »

re: bags - I think it depends on the show and on your product.   I personally think it cheapens your product and your booth when an items gets tossed in a rumpled old grocery bag.  You can buy brown paper lunch bags, or plain loot bags at the dollar store if your items are small enough, or use small white garbage bags if you have larger items.

Unless you're all about using recycled/reclaimed materials. . . I think packaging is important, and people will remember you if you have great packaging!  Your customers don't know that you're a student working at McDo, nor should they - all they know is that you're a crafter selling your wares.

----------------------

And to add a few more pearls:
- Be sure to read the show rules carefully - can you have a "sale" or "X percentage off "sign?  can you hold your own raffle (chances are you can't!)?

- Make sure you're table coverings hang to the floor, and give them a quick press the night before - you want your booth to be inviting, not cheap looking.

- If you're a first-timer, set your booth up once or twice at home prior to the show - get it down pat, how long does it take?  Allow for at least that much time the morning of.  Take pictures so you have a reference for next time - of what does and doesn't work

- If you can, walk around the show while you're there - what booths draw you in?  Are there 3 other booths with a similar product to yours?  How can you make yourself stand out when people have already walked by 3 other scarf booths?

- Never chew gum at your booth!  if you can avoid eating at your booth even better, of course if you're alone you can't help it, just try to be subtle about it, and don't pack a smelly lunch - would you want to smell someone's tuna sandwich while you're shopping?

I couldn't agree more about the Bags.  If you feel that your product is not something people would buy at a dollar store, then your bag should represent that too.  I sell jewelry and use those little organza bags.  People love those.  They are likely to keep it in that bag with my business card rather than is I just put it in a ziploc or something else. 

I also look at other's booths for ideas and to see who is doing well and adhere to don't eat at your booth.  Drinks ok, but nothing worse is when you just take a bite and someone asks you a question. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a blog about nothing---www.retrogrademotion.com
a shop with things!!!!---retrogrademotion.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Douglas Carlton Abrams Talks About Eye of the Whale
Philippa Gregory on Writing About Witchcraft
Summer of Two Wishes Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Talks About The White Queen
Michael Ian Black Reads from Chicken Cheeks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...