A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 303,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chai Tea Recipe?  (Read 678 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2006 06:42:23 AM »

I LOVE chai tea. I get it whenever I go to cafés and I spent the whole summer drinking chai lattes at Starbucks. Now, I really want to make it at home. I bought chai tea bags, but it doesn't get strong enough for my taste. I would probably need 4 of those teabags to make it strong enough. I want it to be hot as in spicy-hot.

Does anyone have any recipes for chai tea or any recommended lables??
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006 08:14:05 AM »

Have a big container ready to store this and you can enjoy it for several days - just nuke

1/4 cup black tea (like darjeeling)
5  cups water
2 t grated fresh gingerroot
1 star anise, broken into small pieces
1 t grated orange peel
2  3-inch cinnamon sticks, each broken in half
1 t cardamom seeds
10 whole cloves
5 peppercorns
1 t vanilla
1/4 - 1/3 cup honey
3 cups skim milk

Place tea leaves, water, ginger, anise, orange peel, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and peppercorns in a pan.  Bring to a boil,
reduce heat to low, stir, cover and boil 20 minutes.  Strain, then add vanilla, honey and milk.  Heat thoroughly (do not boil) if serving hot.
Pour over crushed ice if serving cold.

This recipe came from Shape Cooks Spring 1997 (pg92) Ha, I can't believe I bothered to note all that down (a tad anal).  Just adjust the spices to your liking.

This stuff is very very yummy but a bit of work.  I drink Tazo Chai every morning. I let it steep while I do everything else in the morning (probably at least 10 minutes,up to an hour) and it is very good, not quite as yummy but certainly acceptable.

Good luck!

She'll be comin' 'round the mountain...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006 08:32:27 AM »

Oh thanks! I'll try this out this weekend...
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006 10:09:00 AM »

I should note that you'll need to run it through a strainer before adding the milk (get all the spice chunks out).  Or you could wrap it all loosely in cheesecloth and just lift it out before the addition of milk or honey.

Also, you might want to take another test drive through Star Bucks to see what the spice that appeals to you might be so you can increase it in this recipe.  This recipe is milder than Star Bucks if I remember (I've not done either in a while).  I do like strong flavors and both taste good to me.
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006 03:35:12 AM »

I've been meaning to make this recipe:http://www.supernaturale.com/articles.html?id=73 but haven't really had time. I like Lipton's Chai Latte mix - the bags just aren't nice enough. An old friend bought her mix from the local hippy community. I reckon the mix you make yourself would be good because you can adjust the quantities as needed.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dry Flowers
Halloween Party Wine Bottle Make-Over
Fashion Crafts for Kids
How to Upcycle Fashions With Dyed Buttons
Floral Cupcake Ideas
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...