A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,139
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Hobo Bag!--Very Pic Heavy!!  (Read 74283 times)
Tags for this thread: bag , tutorial , hobo_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2006 09:20:53 PM »

My first hobo was the striped hobo bag
(see this post: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=124804.0) and here's how I made it:

I used simplicity 5151 for the main shape, particularly the strap parts, and then went way off course--but in a good way! Smiley

RST= Right Sides Together
 RSO= Right Side Out
 WSO=Wrong Side Out

CUT YOUR PIECES:
Cut 2 of outer fabric and 2 of lining fabric of above shape.
Cut 2 interfacing for the lining.
Cut your pocket and interfacing for that the size you want it I cut mine about 12 high by 10 across.

CONSTRUCTION (all seams are 5/8 unless noted):
1.  Stitch together 2 outer body pieces along the sides, RST. (The pic showing is of the lining since I forgot to take a pic of when I did the outer body...oops! Grin)  Press those open and then turn it around so that those side seams become your center seams.  The body is still wrong sides out.

2.   Lining up the center seams, pin and stitch along the bag bottom. (I don't have a picture of this step! Smiley)
 Pull the corners out to points and mark a line 1 in from each point.  This will give you a 3 marked line.  Stitch on this line. 
Turn the body right side out.

3.  Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the lining pieces, but leave about a 3 opening along the bottom seam for turning later.  Turn it right side out so you can attach your pocket to the right side of the lining.

4.  Make your pocket After interfacing mine, I folded it RST so that it became a rectangle 6 high by 10 wide, stitched around the 3 edgessides and bottom (leaving an opening along the bottom enough to turn it).  Trim, leaving the opening part untrimmed .  Turn right side out.  Topstitch the top pocket edge.  Fold under the untrimmed part and pin pocket to your lining, centering  over the center seam.  Stitch around the pocket on 3 sides to the lining.  Attach a closure at this point about 1 down from the top edges of the lining, again centering it on that center seam line.
(There aren't any pictures for steps 3 and 4)

5.  Turn the lining wrong side out again.   Fit the WSO lining over the RSO bag body, pulling the strap parts all the way out so everything fits together.  Matching center seams and the strap ends together, pin all around the curved edge.  Stitch.  Trim and clip seam. 

6.   Turn the bag RSO through the hole in your lining.   Stitch up the hole, either by hand or machine.  Tuck the lining into the outer bag.

7.  Press the bag, particularly the top straps and curved edge.  Topstitch the straps and the curved edge.

8.  Lay one strap end over the other end, and topstitch along the previous topstitching along the 3 edges and also straight across about an inch or so away, making a "rectangular" box.

YAY, youre done!!  Grin 
If any of this is confusing or I've left anything out, please let me know, or PM me!!   Smiley

**I almost forgot to show the finished product! Smiley

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009 06:18:53 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
sushigal
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006 11:17:16 PM »

Thanks Runnermom, your tutorial and pictures are simply fabulous. I love it and can't wait to get started.

I am new to bag making and been lurking here for the past week checking out all the beautiful tutorials.   I recently bought a stash full of fabrics from  a local wholesaler remnants bin at 99c a yard or lower . I have fabric ranging from brocade, upholstery, toile, demin, corduory, cotton print ..........just have to get started with selecting the bag pattern and fabric to start off with.

thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms. Rosie

Helpz Mommee is a cwazee cat ladee!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006 04:40:55 AM »

Great tutorial -- thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ok, so I am the crazy cat lady.  Live with it.
island-princess
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006 07:13:54 AM »

This tutorial is wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to do this Smiley

island-princess
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006 07:16:22 AM »

runnermom thanks  so  much!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
runnermom100863

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 05:55:30 PM »

Your welcome to everyone!!  I just know I've gotten so much from all of you Craftsters out there, that I wanted to give back! Cheesy  It always make me feel better to give than to receive!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006 04:06:29 PM »

I forgot to say my last post that I'd really like to see everyone's version if they make this!!  Please post your pics if you do! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antixsdesigns
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006 07:18:16 PM »

Great tutorial - easy to follow and thanks for all the pictures. I have some fabric that would be great for the hobo bag! I LOVE big bags!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-------------------
Shelby Logsdon
MyMendingsItch
Poetry & Stitches

:Xthree-times-used-stringX:

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006 08:06:12 PM »

Thank you so so so so much for posting this tut!  I love that style of hobo bag but haven't really found many tutorials or patterns for it.  I have a bag made in that same way that i found in my mom's laundry room... i don't know if someone she knows made it or what... she said she couldn't remember... but i own it now.  i've tried a couple of times to re-create it, but i'm new and mine haven't been very successful, so i've stuck with the other hobo tuts i've found.

again, thank you! i love your bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006 08:28:13 PM »

MyMendingsItch, You are so so so welcome!!  Haha!  I'm so glad it's helpful!  Cheesy  Please post your pics when you make one -- I'd love to see it!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Far From the Tree Audiobook by Andrew Solomon
Room No. 10 by Åke Edwardson
J.A. Jance Discusses Deadly Stakes
Homeward Bound by Emily Matchar
Motherhood, Rescheduled by Sarah Elizabeth Richards
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...