A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,172
Currently Running With Scissors:
346 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Bride's Tree  (Read 1469 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Clarebear84
« on: October 02, 2006 07:41:31 AM »

I saw this beautiful ornament collection:

http://www.christmastreehill.com/glascolorthe.html

I thought it would make an awesome gift for newlyweds... Does anyone have any ideas on how to make ornaments corresponding with this theme? I was considering using Sculpey Clay... I have also seen cross stitch patterns for them, but do not really want cross stitch ornaments.  Any ideas would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Because behind this mask is an idea Mr. Crede, and ideas are bulletproof."  -V
FairyWings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006 10:26:37 AM »

i think those ornaments are a great idea  but i bed they can be made much prettier than how they are in that picture.
 you could make exactly the same things on that list using polymer clay and then just add a hole for wire or a hook or ribbod to hang them. Sculpey comes in a huge array of colors so I think it'd be fine for this project . I think what would be hard is them being so small ( they looked small to me anyway) and  putting in little fine details but it can be done.

makes me want to make a small ornament set for someone hehe. don't have much colored clay but i have paints Cheesy
 maybe i'll do an angel set and  make up stuff like angel of hope, angel for your worries, angel of health  etc..  oo and i can make them extrememly small and hang them on a small xmas tree from the dollar store. the ideas keep coming haha  maybe the small tree with the tiny ornaments can be an ornament to go with the set of ornaments  lol !  so many possibilities  thanks for posting about this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006 10:52:25 AM »

wow i got so excited that i completely forgot i lack in the angel making skills till i started making one Tongue

there are lots of tutorials online for  making many different clay sculptures. you can try the sculpey website, hgtv,  or just google search ( example: clay santa ) you'll probably find tons of techniques on how to make that item  and to refine the search google  with the words polymer clay in it so you don't get a bunch of pottery and ceramic sites come up.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarebear84
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 07:38:07 PM »

Hey thanks... I think that can definately be done. Have you made sculpey clay ornaments before?  I used to make beads out of sculpey clay, but I imagine it would take a lot of clay to make a nice sized ornament (Hallmark size).  I am not completely confident of my clay molding skills... but maybe that is part of my problem. lol. Well, I should definately give it a whirl.  I never gave my cousin a wedding gift (due to forgetfulness/lack of funds) and I was considering a wedding related Christmas gift and this seemed perfect! But $100 seems like a lot to spend on Christmas ornaments when you could buy a nice comforter or something. So if sculpey doesn't work, I am considering felt ornaments. So we shall see. I will post pictures if it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006 09:38:16 AM »

if you want to make bigger ornaments , you can use armatures inside.
tightly scrunched up aluminum foil ( tight to prevent air bubbles), hard cardboard or wood shapes from the craft store, and i can't think of anything else right now ,  i dunno what you'll be making .. if it's going to be what's on that page or  your own version/different items.
 lots of things can be covered in clay.bottles, eggs..
  I don't think i've ever made ornaments out of clay but i've made plenty of things that could have been hung up as ornaments Smiley 
I'll post a few examples. and these thinsg were done when i was just a beginner. i did lots of web searching for tutorials or ideas of things to make.

k pictures will be in next post bc photobucket is  dragging butt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006 09:45:08 AM »

Covered Egg ( it was blown out and cleaned and dried first)
You can cover the egg in  a christmassy fashion or wedding fashion. and just put a ribbon in the blow holes to  be able to hang it up,  maybe add beads to it to  make it look nice. i'd say have the robbon knotted at the bottom and go all the way through the egg and out the top hole. that way no glueing is necessary.

this tree coulda been  turned into an ornament  but instead i  put it in a snowglobe.

that snowman 's insides were aluminum foil the angel too i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clarebear84
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 07:53:32 PM »

Those look excellent! I love the tree! And the egg! And the snowman... Ok I love them all!  So with the egg, did you bake the clay with the egg inside?  That looks super awesome! Those would make very lovely gifts! Is it pretty durable? Like is it something you could ship? Perhaps you know of a tutorial?  Sorry, I am just getting super excited about all the possibilities. This is the first Christmas I have a little money, and a little time, and want to create nice things for people! Your clay non-ornaments do look awesome! I can't wait to create!

-Clare
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006 06:35:47 AM »

yea after cleaning out the egg and  letting it dry..may have to bake the egg during the rying process before applying clay, i can't remember, hopefully a tute i can find will tell.  for my egg i put TLS on it to help the clay stick .I think a little white glue would do the trick too.also i plugged the holes ( but you wouldn't be completly covering the holes if you want  to put a ribbon in ir for hanging.
 Mine have been pretty durable. besides that floral one  which i ended up gifting to my best friend's granny,  I have one i made for my daughter, i put some beeds in it  before fully covering it and now it's a noise maker Smiley it's fallen a few times, no breaks. i think  you just have to put enough clay on it..  it can't be paper thin ya know?

I'll see if i can dig up a tutorial or 2.

~  blown eggs~
http://www.geocities.com/kraftproject/craft-successful-blown-eggs.html

this one says not to use soap.. I used soap.. *shrug*  has pictures so i'm posting it hehe

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/5751/blwneggs.htm

I'm having a hard time finding actual tutorials for covering the egg  but i'll post them as i see them and you can just make up your own ideas from what they teach.
 ~filigree egg~
http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cyclopedia/filigree_egg.html\

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006 07:42:30 AM by FairyWings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FairyWings
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006 07:41:31 AM »

grr the forums went own for maintence and a second post i made didnt go through , don't remember what link i had in it  oh well'

here are a couple more
 this is what the GlassAttic has to say about Eggs . lots to read but there are also some links here and there.

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/eggs.htm

And here is a place with pictures of different covered eggs to  give you an idea of what kinda stuff you can do. The second page  i like because it shows hallowed egg shaped sculptures. The technique they use, i couldn't find but I believe they bake the shaped clay onto the egg and then put it in vinegar for 24 hrs(?) to make the egg dissolve  .. I haven't tried this yet  because when i first saw it  I didn't have vinegar to try it.  wish i could find the actual tutorial for that technique  anyway here is the link to the pictures.
http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/claypen_eggs1.html

actually i think the glass attic has info on the vinegar thing .

« Last Edit: October 04, 2006 07:45:05 AM by FairyWings » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006 10:14:21 AM »

lots to read but there are also some links here and there

That link to my site will work. . .
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/MainPages/eggs.htm
...but since it has the "Main Pages" thingie in it, it probably came from Google which hadn't updated it for a while.  So those pages won't show the navigation bar (not good because then one can't go to the other 90 pages if they want).

So this is the better link:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/eggs.htm

(There are also lots of lessons on the page for various ways to cover eggs with clay since clayers have come up with different things that'll work.)

actually i think the glass attic has info on the vinegar thing

Yep lots of info on all kinds of ways to do vinegar eggs and effects that can be achieved (for that type in particular, on the page above, click on the sub-category called "Vinegar Eggs"... some of the links in that section have been broken though  Cry)

Have fun!

Diane B.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Artist Derek Gores Creates Incredible Collage From Hate Speech
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...