A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted Poncho...w/updated pic  (Read 8065 times)
Tags for this thread: poncho  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imnotemily
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004 04:53:08 PM »

wonderful job, great color.  have a question for you though.

i plan on embarking on the same pattern, but am confused at the part in round 5 that says:
"At each increase point, make a "corner" out of petals (ie w 3 petals into space between 2 dtr's of previous rnd in order to turn the corner)."
how did you interpret this instruction?
thanks,
emily
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004 02:25:30 AM »

but am confused at the part in round 5 that says:
"At each increase point, make a "corner" out of petals (ie w 3 petals into space between 2 dtr's of previous rnd in order to turn the corner)."

I had problems understanding that instruction too. What I ended up doing was this: I basically put two flowers together to make the increase (it's what causes the back and front points of the poncho).

When I reached my increase point, I did petal 3 (horizontal petal), and 4 (which goes into the same ch as the prev petal, ie 2 or 5), but instead of making petal 5 5 chs over, I did it in the very next chain, and then continued with pattern.

It ends up creating a slight V with the Flowers in the end in order to make the points (I guess what she saw as a "corner"). I don't know if this is what she meant, but it worked out great the way I ended up doing it. Here's a pic to illustrate:

I was just looking at my scanned picture and I guess there is 3 petals in the space between the 2 Dtrs in the row underneath (the dtrs with the arrow/increase on top of them). But again I don't know if that's what she meant, lol but it worked, although I spent a good little while figuring it out).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004 09:07:05 AM »

I made this poncho, too, but I did it with TLC amore. I really like it, but it's a teeny bit stretchy. I put an extra repeat of the pattern in and didn't use any fringe and I like it that way!

but am confused at the part in round 5 that says:

I had problems understanding that instruction too. What I ended up doing was this: I basically put two flowers together to make the increase (it's what causes the back and front points of the poncho).

When I reached my increase point, I did petal 3 (horizontal petal), and 4 (which goes into the same ch as the prev petal, ie 2 or 5), but instead of making petal 5 5 chs over, I did it in the very next chain, and then continued with pattern.

It ends up creating a slight V with the Flowers in the end in order to make the points (I guess what she saw as a "corner"). I don't know if this is what she meant, but it worked out great the way I ended up doing it.

The corner in mine is pretty slight, too, but I did the three petal thing in both of the flower rows as I went along.

oh, by the way, what did you think about the beginning? did you start crocheting in the round or did you join at the second row like the pattern says? I joined at the second row and have since had to add a button!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Girlinsoop

Someday, rabbit, I will finally finnish a project.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004 10:58:58 AM »

The finishing...thats what I wanted mention...
When I made this, i loved the pattern but hated the angles that it ended with...How did you correct it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004 07:46:28 PM »

oh, by the way, what did you think about the beginning? did you start crocheting in the round or did you join at the second row like the pattern says? I joined at the second row and have since had to add a button

I joined at the second row like the pattern said. I thought I was just missing something because it didn't work out right. I tried twice. A button is a good idea.  I just told my sister (because I made it for her) that that means it's the back of poncho lol. the funny thing is I had it perfect when I used a different colour earlier (but I wasn't happy with the colour so I ripped it all out), but when I tried to do it again, I just couldn't.

When I made this, i loved the pattern but hated the angles that it ended with...How did you correct it?

I don't know if i'm sure what you mean. I know when I finished mine I didn't really liked the way it hung. It had kind of a homemade look to it, and it didn't really have the right shape to it yet (the bottom needed to hang straighter with nicer points.) So I blocked it by swooshing it in some warm water with a little soap,rinsed it, and then laid it out to get the shape I wanted. That fixed all of the problems. It tightened everything up and made it hang really nice. It even made the colour nicer because it washed out all of the excess die. I had never blocked cotton before so I was a little nervous that it would end up as a baby poncho since it was 100% cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sahara
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2004 06:26:20 PM »

Hey There!

Your poncho turned out beautifully! It shows as a beginner, that you REALLY ENJOY what you are doing.  Your sister should be quite happy. Be careful though; family members, while being great supporters of your work, can become quite spoiled, putting a new kind of stress on holidays and birthdays. Wink

Now. I have read a few messages about the way the poncho hangs. I think the problem is a matter of weight, since the bottom ends with the lighter stitch. Try adding a row of the flowers at the end. Having more weight than what looks like the trbl, they may pull the garment down better. If you have run out of yarn, a complementary color for the flowers wouldn't be bad; you can do a row of dc tipping around the neck, or make the drawstring with it, for balance.

103 days left to Christmas, if you celebrate,

Sahara - Knit and Crochet instruction
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PerfectEquation
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2004 11:15:31 PM »

yours turned out so good! i tried this pattern a couple days ago and gave up because i got so confused! eek.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
go_airplane
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004 05:20:59 AM »

i love the color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamin2
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004 12:37:59 AM »

Hey There!

Your poncho turned out beautifully! It shows as a beginner, that you REALLY ENJOY what you are doing.  Your sister should be quite happy. Be careful though; family members, while being great supporters of your work, can become quite spoiled, putting a new kind of stress on holidays and birthdays. Wink

Now. I have read a few messages about the way the poncho hangs. I think the problem is a matter of weight, since the bottom ends with the lighter stitch. Try adding a row of the flowers at the end. Having more weight than what looks like the trbl, they may pull the garment down better. If you have run out of yarn, a complementary color for the flowers wouldn't be bad; you can do a row of dc tipping around the neck, or make the drawstring with it, for balance.

103 days left to Christmas, if you celebrate,

Sahara - Knit and Crochet instruction

thanks for the compliments. I did really enjoy doing it. And yeah, I quickly found out about families, my sister keeps saying "oh you should make me that next..." lol

Also, I think your right about the weight being a problem with the hang. Ending with a flower row is a good idea or maybe if someone doesn't want to end with a flower row, they could also trying doing heavier tassles.

Lainie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
White Balance
Tilt Shift Lens Tutorial
Exposure Bracketing
Shooting Into the Sun
Multiple Exposure Settings: Create Movement
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...