A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For my Dad- Request etc (to help make a quilt)  (Read 1997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 04, 2006 03:53:44 PM »

Alright, I have a favor type thing to ask. (Involving quilting! Wink )
Crafty deb (The amazing, super, awsome and completely wonderful person that she is) suggested a quilting project for me- or rather, for my Father.

You see, Grandma used to be a seamstress. She'd been sewing since before my Dad was born and I reciently was given *all* of her fabric and sewing stuff. When I sent a craft package to Craftydeb that contained some of the fabric from Grandma that I wouldn't use I let her know, and also commented about it to Dad.....
...He started crying....

See, Grandma's going in for surgery tomorrow (Friday)- she has colon cancer. She's been in a nursing home for almost a year now. She still tries to be just as independant as she was- but she can't. It kills him to think about- and he's scared he's going to lose his Mom to the surgery.

Upon hearing this, Craftydeb suggested that I ask for all of the quilters' help. She suggested that I make a "memory quilt" using materials that I was given, from her.
I think that it would be amazing to get help. See, I'm not the best quilter in the world, nor do I have a ton of time.......

*SO* The idea, is that I send you fabric from my Grandma's stash, you make a quilt square (or two or three) and send them back. (Pieced squares, any pattern) I think that it would be amazing to perhaps get this done for Christmas, but if it takes longer, it takes longer. I have patience (sometimes) Roll Eyes

If we all do 12x12 inch squares I should only need...... After doing my math I realized I'd need 56 squares total.  Shocked

I'll also piece it and finish it off here at home. So no worries about that.

So what do you say? Have I made your eyeballs melt from all the reading? Wink Are you willing to help?

Thank all so much (in advance!)

Melissa
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006 09:42:19 AM by orange_sunset » THIS ROCKS   Logged

domUNIQUE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006 04:01:49 PM »

what i wonderful idea!  i hope all the quilters participate.  unfortuanately, i do not quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006 04:35:59 PM »

I hope your Grandma pulls through! I don't quilt either, or I'd love to help. I think the idea is awesome and I hope it'll work out. C'mon people, help orange_sunset out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
domUNIQUE
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 04:37:07 PM »

maybe you could post on the knitted board for knit sqares?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orange_sunset

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006 08:01:41 PM »

The problem is, that she didn't have any yarn... and I'm trying to make it only out of what fabrics she gave me, ya know?

I really hope I can get some help. ^^; It's such a daunting task for one person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

domUNIQUE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006 03:34:38 AM »

The problem is, that she didn't have any yarn... and I'm trying to make it only out of what fabrics she gave me, ya know?

I really hope I can get some help. ^^; It's such a daunting task for one person!

lol sorry i forgot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006 04:13:51 AM »

Do you want pieced quilt blocks or just plain 12x12 squares from her fabric?  If it's pieced, do you want any particular style (ie log cabin, stars, pinwheels etc)?  I don't know much about quilting, but I can sew, so I reckon I could do the pieced blocks if that's what you're after.  I have made quilts before with my mother's help, so I do know a little about them.  Since I now live about 4 hour's drive from my mother, I foresee a trip to the local library in my near future . . . Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
orange_sunset

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006 09:37:37 AM »

I'd loved pieced, since I could just easily cut the 12x12 squares myself. As for style, that's up to the person making the block. I'd love to see a bunch of different patterns, since all of her fabric is so different. Cheesy

(And thank you for asking, I went ahead and edited my post to say pieced. Cheesy )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006 09:43:04 AM by orange_sunset » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006 10:04:34 AM »

You might want to think about using some plain-square blocks, and alternate them with pieced blocks in a checkerboard-type pattern.  That way you can get the neat pieced look, but with less effort -- this might fit in the time you have better.

I would really like to help you, but I can't.  I'm overextended right now with my projects.  I hope that your Grandma's surgery goes well, and I wish you and your family the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006 01:23:20 PM »

I'm a little overextended myself.. but I'll help you out.  I'm off to PM you ok?

It might take me a little time to do something, but I'll sure try my best for you!

Selise
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Regional Chinese Food and Cooking
How to Cook Lemon Chicken
How to Make Dried Tofu Fried With Celery
California Sushi Roll Recipe
Wok Chicken with Alex McCord
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...