A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 311,406
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For my Dad- Request etc (to help make a quilt)  (Read 2151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

orange_sunset

I found myself! ...Now where'd I put the scissors?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 04, 2006 03:53:44 PM »

Alright, I have a favor type thing to ask. (Involving quilting! Wink )
Crafty deb (The amazing, super, awsome and completely wonderful person that she is) suggested a quilting project for me- or rather, for my Father.

You see, Grandma used to be a seamstress. She'd been sewing since before my Dad was born and I reciently was given *all* of her fabric and sewing stuff. When I sent a craft package to Craftydeb that contained some of the fabric from Grandma that I wouldn't use I let her know, and also commented about it to Dad.....
...He started crying....

See, Grandma's going in for surgery tomorrow (Friday)- she has colon cancer. She's been in a nursing home for almost a year now. She still tries to be just as independant as she was- but she can't. It kills him to think about- and he's scared he's going to lose his Mom to the surgery.

Upon hearing this, Craftydeb suggested that I ask for all of the quilters' help. She suggested that I make a "memory quilt" using materials that I was given, from her.
I think that it would be amazing to get help. See, I'm not the best quilter in the world, nor do I have a ton of time.......

*SO* The idea, is that I send you fabric from my Grandma's stash, you make a quilt square (or two or three) and send them back. (Pieced squares, any pattern) I think that it would be amazing to perhaps get this done for Christmas, but if it takes longer, it takes longer. I have patience (sometimes) Roll Eyes

If we all do 12x12 inch squares I should only need...... After doing my math I realized I'd need 56 squares total.  Shocked

I'll also piece it and finish it off here at home. So no worries about that.

So what do you say? Have I made your eyeballs melt from all the reading? Wink Are you willing to help?

Thank all so much (in advance!)

Melissa
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006 09:42:19 AM by orange_sunset » THIS ROCKS   Logged

domUNIQUE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006 04:01:49 PM »

what i wonderful idea!  i hope all the quilters participate.  unfortuanately, i do not quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out what's on my needles at www.beingdomUnique.wordpress.com

And what's off of them at www.designedbydomUnique.etsy.com
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006 04:35:59 PM »

I hope your Grandma pulls through! I don't quilt either, or I'd love to help. I think the idea is awesome and I hope it'll work out. C'mon people, help orange_sunset out! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
domUNIQUE
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 04:37:07 PM »

maybe you could post on the knitted board for knit sqares?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

orange_sunset

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006 08:01:41 PM »

The problem is, that she didn't have any yarn... and I'm trying to make it only out of what fabrics she gave me, ya know?

I really hope I can get some help. ^^; It's such a daunting task for one person!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

domUNIQUE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006 03:34:38 AM »

The problem is, that she didn't have any yarn... and I'm trying to make it only out of what fabrics she gave me, ya know?

I really hope I can get some help. ^^; It's such a daunting task for one person!

lol sorry i forgot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006 04:13:51 AM »

Do you want pieced quilt blocks or just plain 12x12 squares from her fabric?  If it's pieced, do you want any particular style (ie log cabin, stars, pinwheels etc)?  I don't know much about quilting, but I can sew, so I reckon I could do the pieced blocks if that's what you're after.  I have made quilts before with my mother's help, so I do know a little about them.  Since I now live about 4 hour's drive from my mother, I foresee a trip to the local library in my near future . . . Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
orange_sunset

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006 09:37:37 AM »

I'd loved pieced, since I could just easily cut the 12x12 squares myself. As for style, that's up to the person making the block. I'd love to see a bunch of different patterns, since all of her fabric is so different. Cheesy

(And thank you for asking, I went ahead and edited my post to say pieced. Cheesy )
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006 09:43:04 AM by orange_sunset » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006 10:04:34 AM »

You might want to think about using some plain-square blocks, and alternate them with pieced blocks in a checkerboard-type pattern.  That way you can get the neat pieced look, but with less effort -- this might fit in the time you have better.

I would really like to help you, but I can't.  I'm overextended right now with my projects.  I hope that your Grandma's surgery goes well, and I wish you and your family the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006 01:23:20 PM »

I'm a little overextended myself.. but I'll help you out.  I'm off to PM you ok?

It might take me a little time to do something, but I'll sure try my best for you!

Selise
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Teriyaki Sauce
How to Cook Brown Rice
Chicken Satay- Chicken Satay Peanut - Chicken Satay Recipe
Chicken Stir Fry - Chicken Stir Fry with Beansprouts
Thai Chicken Cashew recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...