A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
836 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Any advice on making lady bug wings?  (Read 1321 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ornerygoat
« on: September 04, 2004 12:56:51 AM »

well firstly this is my first post ever, I have been lurking for a while, I really am impressed by this forum and finally thought I would pluck up my courage and post Grin. So here goes, I hope I have the right thread! Here's hoping this is the start of a beautiful friendship!

For a party I'm making a lady bug costume kinda based on this $400 (EEK) one by Trashy:

And I cannot figure out how to make the wings, I want to make them with wetlook vinyl like you see here but I can't figure out how to make them convex like they seem to be and lady bugs wings are. I have a few ideas, but none I am really happy with, I thought of doing it with wire like those kids butterfly wings, but that will just be flat. So I thought of using wadding to make them more shapely with a wire frame to hold their shape maybe? Any ideas? And I think I'll get sick of them so I will want them to be detachable,  but not sure on the best way to do that either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tradition is the Illusion of Permanence" -  Woody Allen
Aeden

literacy for the masses

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004 04:51:05 AM »

hi!  i bet it would work to take a flat circle or oval of cardboard, for the side that goes against your back, and just cover it with the vinyl.  if you got the slightly stretchy kind, you could just lay down some batting or stuffing or whatever and stretch the vinyl over the whole thing and go back and add the details of the dots and the stripe down the middle.  i don't think you'll need any wire at all, since it's basically one oval piece and nothing sticks out or anything like with fairy wings.  it's such an adorable costume, i may steal your idea!  $400 is ridiculous, and homemade is so much cooler anyway.  and if ive learned nothing else about making wings or crafting in general, it's that you should just jump in with your best guess, and follow your instincts, and fear no mistake!!!  good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i only have a minute, i have to get back to playing the sims
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004 05:37:44 AM »

I was thinking about it, and then I read what Aeden suggested, and I thought the same thing. Vinyl on cardboard... my thoughts exactly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ornerygoat
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004 08:14:55 PM »

That's a great idea! Thanks so much for that guys I will let you know how it turns out, I'm so glad I asked, it will be cheaper too. Steal away, seeing as how i stole the idea off Trashy anyway Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tradition is the Illusion of Permanence" -  Woody Allen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great Vitamin For Hair, From Dr. Oz
Product Snapshot: Oscar Blandi Pronto Volume and Texture Spray
How to Cut Your Own Bangs
How to Get Sexy Wavy Beach Curls
How to Style Elegant Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...