A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need ideas for wood cigar boxes  (Read 7637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 03, 2006 08:04:54 AM »

These things have sliding lids and are probably about seven by nine inches, more or less. I have access to a whole bunch of them (like a hundred) if I can figure out some really cool ideas for them other than using them to store stuff... or at least to store stuff creatively and attractively.

If I can make them into something I can sell, so much the better.
Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carinbrat

me in oil. By...me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006 08:12:29 AM »

You could nail them all together and make shelves... like a shadow box (does that make sense?).  They would look really cool with some of the boxes on their sides and every once and a while leaving the tops on to making sliding doors.

Maybe you could store CD's or DVD's in the shelves - I'm not sure how much space there is, though.  Well, maybe not, they look a little too shallow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Banga
I'm made out of Laffy Taffy.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006 08:13:42 AM »

If you can't make decorative storage, how about shadow boxes? Paint them or decoupage and then replace the sliding cover with a piece of glass. You can fill with photos, knicknacks, flowers, papers, whatever... Maybe set up a few template ideas and offer to personalize them for ppl? Good gift idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Place an etsy order, enter CRAFTSTEROCKS & user name at checkout for free shipping!  Etsy! ~
Flickr ~Wist ~ Blog
homebunnyj

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006 09:55:42 AM »

Thanks! Good ideas, all.

I keep thinking of storage for crochet hooks when I look at them. I suppose I could line them with fabric, or maybe I could make two pieces of fabric-covered cardboard or plastic with loops of elastic sewn onto the fabric... stick hooks in the loops and lay one piece over the other to make two layers of hook storage. Hmmm.
What other type of storage could I make with these?.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ClubFerndale
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006 09:38:37 PM »

My husband is a cigar smoker and I found myself with the same question......what to do with all these cool boxes?  Currently I have them stacked to the ceiling and labelled with all my various art "junque"preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '......beads......pebbles......buttons.....wire.....found') objects....threads.....watch parts....you name it.

Really liked the idea someone had of making a wall of shadow boxes with them!  I have used them as shadow boxes, but never thought of making a wall of them.  They could be used as storage AND display...how cool!

Other than the obvious (I'm sure you've seen those cigar box purses people are making and selling at outrageous prices!), they also make very cool personalized gift boxes.  If it's sort of a "blah" box, I sand the lacquer off and paint it, but for some of the really gorgeous ones I just make a personalized copper plate with copper wire and things soldered on to it.  It could be a name, or a quote, or just a meaningful word.  I also save the fancy cigar bands that come with the cigars, and have decoupaged the boxlids with the bands.  Most of them are metallic papers, so if you apply a little paint and hit them with a heatgun, they start to look aged and very intriguing.

I have also made a "Zen garden" out of a really teeny wooden cigar box.  I filled it with pebbles, sand, and moss from a recent vacation on Lake Huron, and put it on my desk at work.  Whenever I feel the need, I can just open the lid to the box, and move and arrange the rocks and things around.  Somehow, just being able to touch those beautiful things reminds me of how peaceful it was there.  For anyone who loves dirt and rocks and sand, cigar boxes can make really, really cool "portable" Zen gardens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2006 09:09:20 AM »

How cool! I'd love to see pics of some of your boxes. Unfortunately I don't have any bands; maybe I could find something else to sub for them though.
I like the zen garden idea.
I'm told that four decks of cards fit nicely in one of the boxes. How about decoupaging the inside -- or outside for that matter-- in a suitable design, putting in the cards, and giving it to a card-playing friend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bizzmcizz08
Morgan Sunshine

stich me up scotty!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012 03:23:36 PM »

could use them to store pictures in and decorate them with photos and little trinkets of things that mean something to u and ur family or things from vacxation thathave stories behind them or special moments
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012 11:27:47 AM »

You could put in playing cards and a set of poker chips. Perhaps decoupage the outside with a cheap set of cards, whole, or cut up.
I love boxes of all kinds, and I just paint them however I feel like, and glue bits and bobs to the top. I figure I could sell them just as decorated boxes, and let them figure out what to use it for!
Oh, jewelry boxes! make some dividers for the inside out of cardboard or plastic or wood, cover them with fabric or decoupage them. Line the box itself with nice paper or fabric, and there you go-jewelry boxes!
Or you can always swap with people for craft supplies and such, to get rid of some of the excess amount, if you still have far more than you'll use. Put a line in your signature, and I bet you'll have your stash whittled down in no time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Blacksmith
Doing stuff and saving the world

Overlook near Brown Mountain

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012 07:34:29 AM »

I really would love to see one of these made into a book cover. Seems doable, if i recall correctly the joints on most cigar boxes are just glued, so knock off the smaller pieces and hinge with glue and fabric.
I think I may have to try this myself if I can scare up a cigar box.

Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

Available for personal swaps, send me a PM. I make crafty tools!
missmelmarie
I just want to make it all!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012 06:36:23 PM »

How exciting! How about using them as gifts, as in making "theme" boxes. If you could pick a theme with a receiver in mind, decorate the box accordingly, and fill it with items that match the theme. Like a movie box, with a DVD and some microwaveable popcorn, or a spa in a box type thing, or a manicure box. What a super fun supply, enjoy:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.pinterest.com/missmelmarie03

I would gladly participate in personal swaps
LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012 06:39:23 PM »

I did exactly what the last person said...you can paint them, mod-podge them, use ribbon, buttons, even fabric to line the inside.  Or, you can attach a handle to it and make it a pocketbook.  They have the materials/set to do it in the major craft stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012 05:01:58 AM »

LOL!  I have a ton of them, too!  Mine are mostly the paper-covered ones.  Does anyone know how to get all of the paper OFF of them, and bring them back to the wood? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blacksmith

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012 05:52:58 AM »

If they are wood with paper labels, you can scrape off the majority of the stickers and use lighter fluid (napatha) as a solvent for the glue that remains.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.-Oscar Wilde

dewshinesdopp
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012 04:44:25 AM »

awesome!  Thanks for the advice!  I will get some next time I am out.  The local cigar shop sells the boxes as "paper boxes" for $1 each.  They are all wood, with paper stuck to them. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012 06:39:12 AM »

Another way to get the paper off-peel/scrub/scrape off what you can, then use Goo Gone. That stuff's amazing. I've had great luck with using lemon Pledge, and someone else here uses a citrus degreaser.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
doveylou
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012 08:29:18 PM »

You could make a little art kit for kids.  If the lid is smooth, you could paint it with chalkboard paint.  Inside the box, include some chalk and a fabric scrap for an eraser, some paper, and crayons or markers.  If you wanted, you could attach a handle to make it easier for little hands to carry.  You could also stock one with little travel games for kids to take along on a trip.  You could stash it under the car seat and haul it out when the kids need entertaining on a road trip!  Finally, you could use one to stash small snacks in the car.  I love good boxes.  Wish I had a huge stash of them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blacksmith

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012 06:20:14 AM »

doveylou has a good idea there, only thing I would suggest adding is to fix a couple magnets to the top and bottom to hold it shut while moving it around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

usagicam
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012 12:31:59 AM »

I make purses out of them using scrap book paper and ribbon and old beads
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corchen
Long-time lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012 11:13:46 AM »

I wish I had some cigar boxes... I must remember to ask the local fancy tobacconist what they do with their empties...

I too love the idea of a wall of shadowboxes! I wonder if you could fit 365 on a wall and do a year in shadowboxes... Maybe that's too many cigar boxes for anyone to deal with without going mad, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Absolutely up for personal swaps, especially ATCs, PM me if you're interested.

Beginning wister: corchen
Craftsunderground
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013 06:30:01 PM »

You can find tons of cigar bands on Ebay at very reasonable prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teesha Moore inspired patches--anyone want to swap?
Sharalee

www.wists.com/SharaLee http://pinterest.com/sharalee3/pins/?filter=likes

Retired Hairstylist/Crafter

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013 04:42:34 PM »

I love all these ideas. I have just a few & have never done anything yet, I always say later. But I was thinking maybe decorate each one like a room, a kids bedroom, or a playroom, kitchen, etc & you could put them all together & make a doll house. It might work for the Bythe doll. Just a thought!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http:/pinterest.com/sharalee3

"Yet Another TM Patch Swap RD 3"
"Fall Character Ninni Swap"
'Christmas Stocking Swap RD 10"

Will do personal swaps!! I make Art Dolls/Junker Jane Dolls/Raggedy Ann & Andy Dolls/also TM Patches
Nolansmomster

Yes. I am THAT mom.

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2013 06:30:03 PM »

You could make a little art kit for kids.  If the lid is smooth, you could paint it with chalkboard paint.  Inside the box, include some chalk and a fabric scrap for an eraser, some paper, and crayons or markers.  If you wanted, you could attach a handle to make it easier for little hands to carry.  You could also stock one with little travel games for kids to take along on a trip.  You could stash it under the car seat and haul it out when the kids need entertaining on a road trip!  Finally, you could use one to stash small snacks in the car.  I love good boxes.  Wish I had a huge stash of them!

This is almost exactly what I was thinking. When I was a kid, I had a box about the same size that was full of chalk and an eraser and had the alphabet and some Disney characters around the border of the chalk board... throw a little handle on the top edge, and this would be perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockingbearranch

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013 05:32:15 PM »

Lock them open with an L bracket and screw to the wall for an open box shelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewLicious Home Decor
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2013 05:05:42 PM »

That's really cool!  You could use them for shelves or put scrapbook paper or paint the back of them, or use them for picture frames without the lids. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helena Puck

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013 04:52:38 PM »

I really love the shadow box idea replacing the lid with glass.

I could also see them used as ring holders using curlers covered in fabric inside the box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop
Blog
pinterest

Open to trades for Smurfs, minions, and personal swaps
dewshinesdopp
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013 07:15:18 AM »

Instead of making individual rooms out of each one, you could make a complete fairy house (I think they call them "wee houses" on here).   

You could also make a slightly larger version of those "altoid tin altar" things. 

If they are all a consistent size, you could decorate (paint, decoupage, whatever) them to make stackable storage for your craft room. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

EveofReduction
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013 11:07:54 AM »

What about adding little hooks inside to hang keys. On the lid you could decorate with homeowners name "The Franks Est. 2002" and give as gifts. Could they be party favors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize a Sports Poster Template
How to Add a photo to a Sports poster
How to Use Basic Photoshop Elements
How to Put a Head Over a Title in Photoshop
How to Use the Flame Elements for Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...