A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
705 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Home made spinning wheel??  (Read 16043 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maybullsmom
« on: October 02, 2006 03:18:20 PM »

Has anyone made their own spinning wheel?   There are many drop spindle instructions around and was just wondering if it's possible, and if it is -how to go about it.  Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006 05:32:51 PM »

I'm sure there is...but I've never done it. 

If its a cost thing, I think you'd spend MORE time and money to make your own.  There are cheaper versions out there, I've even seen some made from mostly PVC pipe!!  Or you can save money if you put it together yourself.

Are you looking for the challenge or is it a cost thing?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faithin

beep boop beep

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006 06:02:23 PM »

if you search around the internet, you can find spinning wheel plans, but as misshawklet said, i think you'll spend more time and money that way. i mean, you need to have tools and be fairly proficient at measuring and woodworking and so forth, and at that point you might as well just buy one. babes are made of pvc and are under $200, and the wheel i have is just under $300 (now anyway, it used to be under $250).

making a drop spindle, however, is pretty cheap. you can make one of those for about $2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hey, i do personal swaps! especially for fiber. i am addicted to fiber & yarn. addicted.

http://www.faithinpoison.com/kitten (food & fiber)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/quiz_show (personal journal)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/faithin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittenlogic/
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 10:10:05 PM »

The best spinning wheel I've ever had the pleasure of testing was a homemade one *sigh*  The guy made it from metal and all the bearings were perfectly balanced and it was a double treadle and just beautiful!  Unfortunately he made one for him and one for his wife and won't make any more because of the time and effort involved.  I so wish he was my dad/grandpa so that I could inherit one of them!!!

However, as everyone else has said, unless you know about woodworking and/or have a burning passion to make your own wheel, I'd look at buying one.  Mum got mine (as my 21st present) secondhand for AU$80, but then she knows a lot about spinning wheels and knew it was a good one.  Do you know anyone who could help you purchase a wheel?  Otherwise I hear Ashford make good beginner's wheels that aren't too expensive too.  Not wishing to brand bash or anything . . .

HTH,
Ceilidh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
kba
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006 06:38:23 AM »

This isn't a traditional treadle spinning wheel but is a traditional spinning wheel from India, it's made in a cigar box.  Very protable and compact.

http://interweave.com/spin/projects/Cigar-boxCharkha.pdf

I hope this help with the urge to make you own spinning wheel.

Happy spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maybullsmom
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006 08:12:32 AM »

I was just curious because my son saw one in the back of a truck that someone's husband made and was telling me about it.  He is a carpenter and said it would be easy if he had plans for it.  I don't know that much about spinning wheels, I just started spinning on a home made spindle.  I figured if you could make a spindle so easily maybe a spinning wheel would also be as easy.  And if it was something he made it would even be better.  Thanks for all the info.  I will let you know if he actually makes one or not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vestal Virgin
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 08:36:47 AM »

First, a little clarification about the article from Interweave Press.  This type of wheel, called a charkha, is really only useful for spinning short, fine fibers, like cotton or cashmere or maybe merino wool.  You can spin silk from the fold on it, but you need to be a fairly skilled spinner to compensate for the high rate of twist.  I'm just sayin...

As for building your own treadle wheel, there are plans available in several books.  Some are out of print and may be hard to find (or brutally expensive... Spinning Wheel Building and Restoration by Bud Kronenburg comes to mind) but others are more readily available.

1)  The Complete Spinning Book by Candace Crockett.  I'm pretty sure this one is out of print, but it contains plans for building a bulky spinner.

2)  A No-Lathe Saxony-Style Spinning Wheel Construction Manual by Richard and Myrna Schneider.  I believe this one is still in print... I vaguely recall seeing it listed for sale at Unicorn Books.

3) Spinning and Weaving at Home by Thomas Kilbride.  This is a delightful little Australian book, part of a self-sufficient living series.  Contains plans for building a treadle wheel out of bicycle parts.  I was able to score a copy on eBay.

If you don't insist on a treadle wheel, a great wheel would be much simpler to build.  These are the large standing wheels with the sharp spindles you sometimes see in antique shops.  The Candace Crockett book has a picture of a great wheel made from a bicycle wheel and other spare parts that would be fairly simple to build, and spinning with a spindle wheel (or "point" spinning) is actually easier to learn than the treadle wheel.  It's the same concept as the charkha, only on a much larger scale (and at a much lower rate of twist, which makes it suitable for spinning longer, coarser fibers).

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charaxesdistanti
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006 09:33:01 AM »

I was trying to figure out how to build my own wheel for awhile and I thought I figured it out, but I was wrong. There is a lot of work (wood and metal work) to do for the bobbin/flyer/orifice. Plus if you never used or seen a wheel in work it is much more difficult (as with me, I can't even begin to try and make a flyer as I never seen one in person!).

I did find some books at the library about wheels, but let me just say it is much harder to get exact measurements and precision as it first seems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Tell us a story, I know you're not boring"
tomico
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006 10:59:35 AM »

I just found a website that may be useful.

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/~caj/diy.html

I haven't looked around the site much. Good luck. 

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmc_aust

Wandering in the wilderness, I realised I was LOST

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006 06:25:37 PM »

Another book that tells you how to make a spinning wheel (although I believe it's a Great Wheel spinning wheel, no treadles) is the Firefox series.  It's an accumulation of articles published in a school magazine about how to do "old time" things and I don't recall who published them, but they are AWESOME books if you can get your hands on them.  I think there are five in the series and I'm not sure which volume you'd want for the spinning wheel construction . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I support Breast Cancer Awareness.  Do you?

Ravelry
Blog
Wist
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Many Languages of California
Suzanne R. Krauss Talks About Her Book "To Vegas and Back"
Kevin Starr: California Is a Concept
California-Inspired Sci-Fi Literature
Money Is a Kind of Poetry
Latest Blog Articles
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...