A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,066
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage 'dos and make-up (Come share your secrets!)  (Read 64291 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shiftychica
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007 06:55:44 PM »

Ooh, I just found this thread; how great!

I could use some help, though.  I have very short hair, but found this pic of Marilyn Monroe and might be able to do it; however, I don't how it's done!  Any ideas?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2007 09:02:11 AM »

Pretty! Looks like pincurls.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
ThaADDcrafter
Slowly losing my mind at a fairly rapid pace... yup

ARRRRRRRRRR par me unnudder! *pour me another**

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2007 11:39:50 AM »

OH MAN!!!!! I am so glad I found this....I was so ready top chop...I didnt want to add fake hair cause of the new (haha) self customed hair color...(just from a bottle folks)... bettie here I come Grin

I am a sucker for the vintage look....always have been... i am so stoked to find this

this is me and the hub

THIS ROCKS   Logged
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2007 11:29:37 AM »

this thread is great!!miss vicki, im in the uk too and i love benefit!! i wish it wasnt so expensive!!
i love retro looks, youtube is great for tutorials this one is really good for a couple of 1940's hair do's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QyEWv4WDo
 and here is a tute for some pinup girl make up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGIurzTRBI&feature=related check out this girls other tutorials too they are good, some other retro looks there too.

TIP: i think ill try the victory rolls tomorrow, ive never done them before because my hair is quite short and thin and it didnt look too great. in the hair video she uses hair sponges inside the victory rolls to give more volume so hopefully that will work!!  i cant seem to find those sponges any more tho but apparently what the women used to do during the war was use their old tights ... that actually sounds like a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2007 01:53:12 PM »

ive followed this tutorial for 'cheats victory rolls' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXn0KaKit8c the video is really dark but i got it eventually!! yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom2blu
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2007 04:47:41 PM »

I'm in DESPERATE need of a cut, and this thread totally reminded me I always wanted a straight vintage bob. Which is perfect cause I need a straight cut so I can grow it out.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
mom2blu
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007 10:34:10 AM »

When I was young my mom got this magazine that was about the olden days. It had stories and such, pictures, etc. Where am I going with this boring topic?Well many many many people talked about how they remember not being able to afford expensive hair goops, and would instead use ivory soap. For some reason they always said Ivory. They'd act as though they were washing their hair, but use the bar of soap. Don't rinse and style it (finger waves, kewpie curls, etc) It'll dry in and hold the style. They washes out with warm water.

I don't know the actual name of Kewpie curls, but it's the tight puin curls that are close on the head, usually seen done on the forehead or temples.

I used to do it playing around when I was a kid. beings I'm plaining on getting a bob, I might have to pull out siome Ivory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
batgirl
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007 10:38:59 AM »

When I was in beauty school many years ago we did pincurls and finger waves with this setting lotion that came in concentrate, and you'd mix it with water to form a gross looking goo that resembled mucilage glue (the kind you use in school with the rubber applicator on the lid). I don't remember what this stuff was called but someone in a beauty supply store may know/sell it. Dippity-doo is good, too, and often available in dollar stores etc.

eta: it was something like this: http://www.customnails.com/drorcoselo8o.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007 08:07:52 PM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Santclair

Clothing Texas one insane project at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2007 07:03:12 PM »

I may have to try some pincurls tonight, I've always wanted to try and make my curly hair even more curly. Will post pictures tomorrow before soccer practice ruins it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
egg_salady
« Reply #59 on: December 25, 2007 08:38:30 PM »

ThaADDCrafter, you are gorgeous!  I love the way you did your eyebrows!  I just found an awesome vintagey deep red lipstick at Big Lots of all places for just 2 bucks....Revlon makes it (Super Lustrous Lipstick) and it's called "Exotica".  Check your local Big Lots and it might still be there.  It lasts a long time, doesn't dry your lips out and also makes a fabulous stain.  I'm on the pale side with dark hair, and it's not too pinky or orangey.   
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007 08:39:41 PM by egg_salady » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cranberry Sauce
Orange and Grilled Pork Salad
How to Make Grilled Chicken Legs with Peach Molasses
Grilled Spicy Skirt Steak
Grilled Pork Chops Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Lamp Transformation
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...