A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,609
Currently Running With Scissors:
476 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vintage 'dos and make-up (Come share your secrets!)  (Read 60078 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Veritas_rose
« Reply #90 on: February 18, 2008 06:13:56 PM »

Do you have a tute (or link to one) for rag curls? Honestly, I have fairly wavy hair as it is, but I like the whole spirally (sp?) look of curls. I'm thinking of rocking some curls with a cute mini beret and my new dress (very 40's/50's hipster looking) for a big party next week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Cowards die many times before their deaths;
The valiant never taste of death but once."
-William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar, Act II, Sc. 2, line 32."
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2008 12:07:25 PM »

Do you have a tute (or link to one) for rag curls? Honestly, I have fairly wavy hair as it is, but I like the whole spirally (sp?) look of curls. I'm thinking of rocking some curls with a cute mini beret and my new dress (very 40's/50's hipster looking) for a big party next week.

lucky you!! naturally wavy hair holds curls well apparently, mines is poker straight so doesnt hold the curl as well!  i posted a couple of links a pages or so back (on an online versions of this great vintage hairbook), click on the first link and it is on page 12 on the section on how to do curls) and instead of setting lotion you can just use mousse and wait until your hair is damp because it will take ages to dry!, i roll the curls towards the back of my head for the pincurl look, hope that helps!!  Grin oh and remember to make the strips extra long since your hair is so long, they fold in half

(EDIT) heres the link http://beguiling.us/eljay/1940sHairstyles.pdf

i think i might make a video tutorial in a while since i havent seen any
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 01:07:52 PM by intergalacticj » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaii
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2008 08:33:06 PM »

I do my hair in rag curls.

They're pretty randomly set in- and I use no hairspray because my hair holds curls naturally.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veritas_rose
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2008 05:54:46 PM »

Your hair is awesome! I wish mine would hold curls on it's own, but it's too long, and the weight pulls them out.

So... I figured I'd try some liquid liner, and see if my hand has steadied over the past two years. I bought the wet n' wild smokey eyeliner, since I didn't want to spend too much money in case it doesn't work out. If I'm still a spaz, I saw a L'oreal eyeliner that had a marker kind of vibe, so that might work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fellybabe
fashion is like my skin

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2008 10:34:44 PM »

Nice hairdo but i don't have dat patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

can't do without my hubby and fashion
intergalacticj

jam jam jam jam jam...

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2008 04:41:08 AM »

love your hair kaii!! i thought id show mine too,my hair is naturally straight and doesnt hold curls well but this works!   the first pic is when ive brushed rag curls into waves and the second is just rag curls  Smiley

heheh im in my pj's in that one,ack
THIS ROCKS   Logged

darkdiva
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2008 08:06:20 AM »

I love the vintage look and love to use it with a modern twist. I worn this fun hat that was my Grandma's with a vintage suit to a play (used rag curls):

And this is how I look normally when I go out for an evening of well mannered frivolity:

Kai I love your look. You look like you stepped out of a black & white photo... gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veritas_rose
« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2008 08:38:59 AM »

Wow, your girls' hair is amazing! My mom gave me a bunch of sponge curlers a while ago (the twisty kind) so I might try and find those sometime today. She's gonna cut my bangs too *gulp*. I hate being too poor to go to the salon.
 intergalacticj there's either a problem with the link, or with my adobe. Do you have an alternate? Thanks!:D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kaii
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2008 07:46:35 PM »

intergalacticj-

I love your hair color! I've wanted to go blue-black but am afraid of the frizzies! What color product do you use?

Veritas_rose-

I have a steady hand cus I draw often, every now and then my mom gets amazed and says "how do you get your eyeliner that thin? It's always so chunky and thick when I do it!" The stuff with the marker tip works well Cheesy

Thanks for the compliments gals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anti-emily
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2008 09:03:44 PM »

Question:

I've have always admired, almost to the point of worship, beautifully drawn vintage style eyebrows. The kind you have to shave your natural brows off to get.

I'm definately brave enough to do this, but how do you get them drawn on so perfectly, and what do you use? i've seen some that look like liquid eyeliner almost. Are there stencils or something? I don't think I could get a good shape everyday.

Does anyone know or have had experience with this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy .com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Survey Shows Women Have No Shame In Buying Fake Designer Items
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt Prove the Power of Neutrals
Carbon Copy: Get The Military Jacket With Leather Sleeve For Less
3 Ways to Wear Your Turtleneck Sweater
Designer Launches Rooster Shoes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...