A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: anyone in Gainesville?  (Read 7348 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cloudy143
« on: September 02, 2004 07:59:06 PM »

I moved to Gainesville a year ago and am seriously craft deprvied. No one seems to craft here! I am all alone in my knitting and sewing. Anyone know of anything good in this area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember the person you wanted to be.
rjturbot
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004 04:40:11 PM »

The last weekend in November there is a good craft show at the O'Connell Center.  Also, the last weekend in September there is one at the United Methodist Church--the show is called the Possum Creek Craft Festival--or something close to that! Cheesy  Either of these places you could meet up with local crafters.
Jackie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PollyEsther
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004 07:59:27 AM »

There are two Jo-Ann fabrics stores over on the west side of town, should you need supplies.  But a lot of the serious crafters live in some of the nearby towns like Ocala and even Ichetucknee.

It is a great little town to live in, though, if you stay away from the dirty student bars. While you're there, do yourself a favor and 1) go tubing down the Ichetuknee River, 2) Go see Devil's Millhopper, and 3) Go watch the sun rise from the lookout on Payne's Prarie.  There's nothing quite like those anywhere else. Also, don't miss the friends of the library book sale, or the many fantastic thrift stores.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004 08:11:29 AM by PollyEsther » THIS ROCKS   Logged
xiolagrl
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004 04:26:48 AM »

i haven't lived in gainesville in a few years (spent 21years there), but there used to be a great yarn store in a little strip center on the corner of nw 13th avenue and nw 16th avenue.  can't remember the name of it, but there is also a tennis shop and an education kids store in the same plaza.  the ladies there are great.

i second the other poster's suggestions of devil's millhopper, tubing, and payne's prairie.  i would also add going to micanopy and high springs.  high springs has a couple of great restaurants and local artist galleries/workshops. it's also on the way to ginnie springs and blue spring.  micanopy has great antique stores and wonderful food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
my velouria
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005 07:22:39 AM »

I live in Gainesville, and I just discovered Crafts 'N Stuff. It's near Circuit City and Home Depot on Tower Road. This is my new favorite craft store in town. They don't have much fabric, but their selection of decorative paper and other crafty items puts Michael's and Joann's to shame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauriemk
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005 08:02:27 AM »

I am in Gainesville, too!  I have been trying to find crocheters and have so far found one through meetup.com.  Also, I just read in the paper about a Feminist Knitting and Crochet group that meets on campus on Tuesdays.

Xiolagrl, unfortunately the yarn shop you speak of is gone.  There is one farther up 13th called yarnworks that I have not been to yet. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cloudy143
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005 12:40:03 PM »

Maybe we could get together sometime to knit or crochet! I am trying to elearn to crochet but am having the hardest time. Yarnworks is a great store ande occassionally they have these great sales on Staurdays where you can get a skein of yarn for 75 cents!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauriemk
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005 03:44:20 PM »

That would be cool.  E-mail me sometime: lauriemk at yahoo dot com.

I just started crocheting and have only made a little headway on a scarf, but I would be happy to give you any tips!  I would like to learn to knit someday too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cararay
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005 08:12:58 AM »

I would be all for getting a Stitch and Bitch group together in GAinesville if anyone is interested....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cloudy143
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005 02:59:08 PM »

I would love to! I always wanted to start one at UF but lacked the time and motivation. I'm sure we can get several people to join. I love knitting and crafting of all kinds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Basket Weave Stitch
How to Form a Knitting Group
How to Create Scented Candles
How to Create a Paper CD Case
How to Create Bean Bag
Latest Blog Articles
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...