A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn weight for knitty's "Broad Street Mittens"?  (Read 342 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

everything_is_free
« on: October 01, 2006 06:23:11 PM »

hey all. for those who have made Knitty's Broad Street Mittens or who can read a pattern better than I can, what weight of yarn does the original pattern call for? This is what it says:

"Approximately 300-350 yds of sock-weight wool. Merino is nice.
 5 US#2/2.75mm double pointed needles
 5 US#3/3.25mm dpns
 yarn needle

Editor's note: Janis spun the yarn for this project herself. She suggests 6-ply Regia as an alternate. It and other options can be obtained at Patternworks."

I have not made socks, but through deduction I figured out the sock weight is usually Fingering weight or 1 ply. Am I right?

However, the suggested yarn (which I couldn't find at Patternworks. must be and old link) says it is 6-ply which I believe is extremely bulky.

Anyone have any hints? I know I still have to do a guage swatch, but being as I've never made gloves before I'd like to stay as close to the original pattern as possible. (I'm aware there were errors to the pattern, I'm on the lookout for those).

Thanks for any help!
Steph

ETA: I looked on other threads about these same mittens, but I couldn't figure out what yarns they used and wasn't sure they'd get checked because they were from last year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006 07:20:47 PM »

I don't think 6 ply is referring to weight on that one, rather, the amount of plies.
I've been wanting to make soem of those for myself. My hands were freezing one morning. I've been trying to find a good yarn for them too. I want a wool, those others just don't keep my hands warm. I've been trying to look up yarns by needle size. I'm worried that they will be too large. I have small hands with long fingers. I wear a size 5 ring, and with storebought gloves my nails poke through the ends. I know I can adjust the length, but I'm afraid they will be too wide.
Good luck on your yarn search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006 08:32:47 PM »

Y'know, I made these w/Woolease, and I did have to go down a needle size I believe (I made them abt 2 yrs ago), so I was knitting the woolease very tightly to fit the hands of the recipient, and they turned out really, really great.  Super dense, super warm, they've served  him well two years now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
everything_is_free
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006 10:11:01 AM »

woolease, thanks so much for the suggestion! i thought it'd be ok to use worsted weight, but i'm really bad at yarn substitutions.

i'm making them for my boyfriend so hopefully i won't have to frog it a whole bunch of times to get the fit right.

thanks for the replies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now, my story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say "dickety" 'cause the Kaiser had stolen our word "twenty". I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006 11:17:04 AM »

I made mine for a guy too, which was another benefit of the woolease--larger sized gloves in the end.

Are these a surprise gift?  If not I highly suggest putting them on scrap yarn occasionally to test the fit.  Particularly like when you're making the palm/thumb gusset part to make sure that area fits well.

Another thing I did was to sew leather patches onto the palms.  Makes it easier to do things like drive, open doors, without your hands slipping!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006 01:25:03 PM »

Woolease doesn't seem like it would substitute all that well, but seeing as you are making them for a guy, its ok I guess. Worsted seems alot thicker than sock yarn, and bigger needles. *shrug* I'm still on a hunt for my yarn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006 02:20:34 PM »

It is a lot thicker, and requires a little fidgeting to get it to work out, but they did work indeed and they're very dense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006 02:31:17 PM »

I don't think 6 ply is referring to weight on that one, rather, the amount of plies.

Keep in mind also that plies really don't have anything to do with the actual weight of the wool.  Some lace-weight yarns are 3 or 4 ply, while some really bulky yarns are only 2 ply. 

I do second the idea of using a slightly heavier yarn, but knitting it more densely to get guage.  Frankly, if I used sock yarn and size 2 and 3 needles those gloves wouldn't keep my hands warm at all!  (I use size 1s with sock yarn for socks...size 3s would leave gaping holes for me!)

Just experiment until you find a yarn that makes a fabric you're happy with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006 02:48:49 PM »

I was able to snag a few pics of the gloves.  They're a bit big on me but fit the guy (my BF) perfectly.  Perhaps this will give you a better visualization of the fabric you end up with when you use worsted on such tiny needles. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rocket Science Uses Liquid Nitrogen to Make Fresh Ice Cream
Love at First Bite Cookies with Chef Marcel Cocit
How to Make Geek Themed Desserts
How to Make Superfood Popsicles
How to Make Chocolate-Covered Bacon
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...