A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,045
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted open weave poncho  (Read 15308 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2004 05:57:39 PM »

I can't crochet, so I knitted an open weave poncho instead.  I think it cost $5.00.  I used a skein and a half of Caron Simply soft, but it looks great!  I used #11 needles.  It is two rectangles 18x28 sewn together.  The knit pattern, which is really stretchy, is as follows,
Row 1:  k1 *yo, k2 tog* k1
Row 2:  p
Row 3:  k2, *yo, k2 tog*
Row 4:  p

Here's a diagram of how to sew the two rectangles together:

Here's a picture of my finished product... I'm very proud.
Cheesy

edit:  I forgot that I actually did my rectangles as 18x24" (makes the neck a little smaller too) 'cause I needed to shorten it, since I'm 4'11", but everyone else should probably stick with 18x28
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004 06:07:51 PM by haykyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004 06:04:45 PM »

I love it!!!! Unfortunately, I don't know any of the cool knitting stitches, only the plain ol' regular one. I also know how to crochet, but only the boring regular stitch. SUCK! I don't have anyone to teach me, and I've tried using books, but just cant figure it out, I wanna make one of these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004 06:10:23 PM »

I love it!!!! Unfortunately, I don't know any of the cool knitting stitches, only the plain ol' regular one. I also know how to crochet, but only the boring regular stitch. SUCK! I don't have anyone to teach me, and I've tried using books, but just cant figure it out, I wanna make one of these!

Thanks!  It's pretty easy to learn to "p" (purl) and "yo" (yarn over) just means to wrap the yarn over the needle to make an extra stitch.  You could probably teach yourself those two stitches off of knitting.about.com in a few minutes.

edit:  der... you just said you were having trouble with books... I once saw a website that had streamed videos of how to do it.  Try a search in google.  Maybe you just need to see it in action!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004 06:12:06 PM by haykyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004 06:23:00 PM »

I love you, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Altered Angel

Art Design Jewellery & Gifts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004 06:31:40 PM »

OMG! I've been looking for a poncho pattern EVERYWHERE!!!!  I've even been on-line for the last 2 hours looking!!!  I found some but I too can only knit and purl and I don't know any of the abreviations (sp?) so it wasn't that easy.

(((THANK YOU!)))

BWT ~ It looks great!  Now I'm off to swear a lot while trying to do one! LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004 07:16:57 PM »

OMG! I've been looking for a poncho pattern EVERYWHERE!!!!  I've even been on-line for the last 2 hours looking!!!  I found some but I too can only knit and purl and I don't know any of the abreviations (sp?) so it wasn't that easy.

(((THANK YOU!)))

BWT ~ It looks great!  Now I'm off to swear a lot while trying to do one! LOL

This (http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/linda_poncho.html) is one I'm working on now, in cheap jiffy mohair.  It's easy, fast and knit only.  I'll post a pic when I'm done. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004 07:18:06 PM »

ok yay! I now know how to purl..and I THINK I know how to yarn over...we'll see. Anyways...I feel SO STUPID for asking this..but does tog mean together? Sorry, I'm very beginner and have never followed a pattern, also when following a pattern do you just repeat the stitches until the row is finished? sorry, I feel dumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004 07:26:08 PM »

ok yay! I now know how to purl..and I THINK I know how to yarn over...we'll see. Anyways...I feel SO STUPID for asking this..but does tog mean together? Sorry, I'm very beginner and have never followed a pattern, also when following a pattern do you just repeat the stitches until the row is finished? sorry, I feel dumb.

yes, "tog" means together and definitely follow the pattern until the end of the row unless your pattern says otherwise. 

Just remember in this pattern that in Row 1, your first and last stitch should be a single knit stitch and in Row 3, your first two stitches are NOT knit together.  It is two single knit stitches.  I learned that the hard way.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004 07:27:56 PM »

ok bah! when you k2 tog...do you ACTUALLY stick the needle through 2 stitches and make them into one? Because, that's BUTT hard to do, if that's not it, again...I feel stupid..sorry for making you answer so many questions...you're a doll!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004 07:40:47 PM by littleone1098 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004 07:30:51 PM »

wow, I really like this pattern!  if only I had yarn to do it...   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Best Exfoliators For Smoother Skin
Fall’s 4 Hottest Colors and Makeup Trends
Side French Braids Are A Versatile Hair Trend
5 Beauty Trends For Fall
Summer Beauty Tips
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...