A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,041
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to stencil flawlessy. No pictures sorry.  (Read 19854 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skibum1207
« on: September 02, 2004 05:40:36 PM »

Yesterday I stenciled a shirt and it came out so great I had to share this.

Supplies:

Contact paper with backing
Regular Elmers or that type glue
Xacto Knife
Brushable fabric paint, or acrylic paint from the craft store
If you are using a acrylic paint there is an additive that you can put in to make it better adhere to the fabric. It is usually with the crackle glazes and stuff.
Foam brush, use a small one
Something to put your paint on, I use the lid to a yogurt container
Whatever you want to stencil on
Old magazine or newspaper to put under when you are cutting with xacto kinf and to put in between the layers of facric you are stenciling on.

1) Figure out what you want to stencil and print it out from the computer or draw it with a dark pen or permanent marker on a regular sheet of paper.

2) Get out your glue and glue you design face down on onto the backing of the contact paper. MAKE SURE IF YOU ARE STENCILING WORDS YOU GLUE IT DOWN FACE DOWN SO YOUR WORDS WILL NOT BE BACKWARDS.

3) Once the glue is dry use the xacto knife to cut of the design. Depending on the sharpness of you blade you may have to slice a few times to get it to go through the paper, backing, and the contact paper.

4) Once you are all done cutting out you can peel off the backing to the contact paper. The paper you orginally printed out and glued down will peel off with the backing.

5) Stick the contact paper down to what you are stenciling on and press it down really well. If you are doing letters like O's cut out the circles to go inside and you can stick those down, just make sure you push them down really well.

6) Get out your foam brush and put some of your paint on you yogurt top. If you are using an additive make sure you mix it in really well with a brush.

7) Now dip your foam brush in the paint, make sure just to get a small amount of paint on your brush.

Cool Now just dab the paint on, make sure to just do an up and down motion so it does not bleed.

9) Apply as many coats as needed.

10) About 10 or 15 mins after applying the last coat peel off the contact paper caefully so you don't get any paint where you don't want to.

11) Allow it to dry flat for about 24 hours and I wou;dn't suggest washig it for 72 hours.

Well hope that works for you. I just did a few shirts like this and they came out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlyb
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004 08:32:16 AM »

Thanks for the awesome tutorial!  That sounds like it will work really well. I'm going on a stenciling rampage today!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You came to burn, love, and I came to fight
You came to deal, love, and I came for life
BassKitten
D'nB Ro><orz my So><orz!

Puurrrr....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004 06:32:26 PM »

You didn't iron the picture when it was dry? Did it stay on after you washed it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The girl is crafty like ice is cold!
The girl is crafty - she knows all the moves
I started playing records - she knew all the grooves
fishheads
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2005 03:34:39 PM »

Yes, I thought you were supposed to iron?
Thats why ive been holding off!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2005 04:07:42 PM »

yeah, you should always heat set a stencil before wearing/washing.  make sure paint is totally dry...24 hours is a good rule....put a towel over the image and iron for a few seconds..make sure to move the iron so it doesnt burn an area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
happybeenz
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005 12:29:48 PM »

is the contact paper sticky enough to reuse a few times?  because i have to make thirty shirts, and im not looking foward to cutting out the same thing thirty times.  even if it could be reused five or six times, thatd be great.  or is there something else i could use???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i dont have a signature
skibum1207
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005 12:48:13 PM »

I have friends that swear by manilla folders. The contact paper doesn't really have good reusability. Also they sell the pieces of plastic that can be used when you want to stencil paint a room, that has worked pretty well too. Just remember to go easy on the paint because too much can cause bleeding. Good luck.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moonunit426
Democrafter

Dear Duct Tape, You hold my life together. <3 M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2005 06:26:52 PM »

Plastic overhead projector sheets are the best thing for reusability. And since they're clear, it helps with stencil placement. You just have to spray on some spray adhesive (from any craft, office, or hardware store) and then it sticks really well to shirts and peels off easily. They're better than cardboard because they don't get soggy from ink and they're thinner.

I bought a huge box of overhead sheets and I'll sell you some for really cheap (message me)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skibum1207
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005 08:29:10 PM »

I have never used overhead sheets, I guess they would work pretty well. Doesn't the spray adhesive mess up your shirt though? I have always been nervous using that stuff.

Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wuzupgirll

look! it's flannery o'connor!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005 11:30:15 AM »

thanks for the tute, the instructions were very clear.

i just bought some spray on fabric paint. is it useless with this method? like, will it still turn out ok if i spray the stencil instead of dabbing it on with a foam brush?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, won't you stay, we'll put on the day, and we'll wear it 'til the night comes...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Pop-Up Sound of Music Book Trailer
Lance Price Talks About When Power Lies
Allison Leotta Talks About Law of Attraction
Maurice Hamilton Talks About Chequered Conflict
Davy Rothbart Talks About Requiem for a Paper Bag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!
Meatless Monday: Vegan, Raw, Gluten Free Chocolate Bars

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...