A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Not a Margaret Nicole purse...  (Read 4004 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2006 06:31:14 PM »

I rarely do the fashion mag thing, but I was flipping through the last issue of InStyle (looking for the Sexy List, heh heh) and found an article about the latest big thing, cable knit purses! My, who'da thunk it?  Cheesy I immediately thought of a beautiful skein of bulky blue handspun I bought in the Smokies last spring and what I could do with it.

A hunt online turned up this pattern. The blogger made the loveliest bag, that looks so much like a $250 designer number I'd be hard pressed to tell 'em apart. Thing was, I don't like HANDbags--I usually have both hands full of other stuff! So I prefer shoulder bags. Not to be denied though, I just adapted her approach, enlarged her pattern, and instead of the 'bangle' handles, I used 2 leather belts for shoulder straps!

The closure is a black pearl button with a deerskin thong loop. It's lined with a blue patchwork fabric. And the heart dangle was made by folks with developmental disabilities, who live at the residential center where I work.

Designer purse price: at least $250. My purse price (if I could even get one that's exactly what I wanted): $15 for yarn, $10 for straps, $8 for button & loop, $2 for lining=$35! (why yes, I am cheap, why do you ask? hehe)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
Just_A_Girl
[Insert witty title here]

Straight to this very day it was the wrong way

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006 06:35:15 PM »

Thats awesome! The Margaret Nicole clutch was a big thing on craftster a few months back, but Im def. liking your take on it. I made the clutch and Im lucky it fits my phone and wallet, yours is def. a better for everyday living kinda purse. Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I blame it on the bunny....

[Future home of a someday blog URL]
Jane2
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006 06:47:48 PM »

I really like it!
So much so, that I've bookmarked it. Because although I will only ever dream of making one - I would have your details to guide me. (Just in case.)

I don't like/use handbags either - but I can look at yours and be happy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noTORIAus
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006 07:58:23 PM »

It looks so nice!!! I am not a fan of handbags either. I originally made it for a wedding to match my dress-- I've been thinking about making a regular one for everyday... I'm going to try it your way!

I love it! It's so neat to see other people using the pattern I compiled!

And in case anyone wants the cable part pattern it's here: http://spytastic.blogspot.com/2005/07/cable-knit-purse.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sunshine,

Hey, What a beautiful mess this is.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006 09:32:47 PM »

i love how knitted purses are coming into style =) yey i will be instyle for once with my little bag,
That is a REALLY pretty purse.
yea i saw a purse that looked a lot like that..... i think it was at superstore......... ...=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinkitty

out of the box

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006 06:25:17 AM »

EEEE, notoriaus is here! (does snoopy dance) So happy you like it! I get such a kick out of showing stuff off to the originator...ask RubyTuesday how loud I squee whenever I post one of her lil crochet critters and she comes to see it. hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Knowing that I don't have control over things is not always exciting for me. But it's been reassuring to know that I don't need to have control. God has control." (Clay Aiken)
vintage/modern
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006 08:24:17 AM »

When I saw the page about cabled handbags in InStyle, I totally ripped it out.  My coworker was like "Why?" and I said, "See this 200 dollar purse?  I'm going to make it for about 10 bucks!"  I don't think he was impressed, but whatever, he's not very bright anyways.  Thanks for the link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know you're crafting too much when you even find glitter in your cat's poop! (true story)
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006 02:02:53 PM »

I I used 2 leather belts for shoulder straps!

Brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006 03:53:18 PM »

That's so great!  I'm not a huge fan of cables, but that blue is so beautiful, the button is great, and I admire you for working with people with disabilities - my brother is autistic.  yay all around! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
useratl
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007 09:07:14 AM »

Wanted you guys to see this $2400.00 Salvatore Ferragamo

http://ferragamo.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod3520005&parentId=cat105&masterId=cat101&cmCat=&index=0&tid=C15

Okay, you GREAT knitters, commence with the imitations!

Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007 09:11:34 AM by useratl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Caitlin Ellsworth, the Newest Beauty Smartie
How to Flaunt the Tribal Nails Trend
Flaunt Modern Sparkly Eyes to Your Next Party
How to Find Your Perfect Foundation Match
How to Get Newspaper Nails
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...