A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,501
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I don't want to be the latest trend!!  (Read 10703 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Antsy
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008 01:41:16 PM »

now you all think I'm some sort of selfish brat (I sort of am), I know crochet doesn't belong only to me. I wouldn't have a problem with other girls at my school doing it if I actually liked them, but it's always the girls who get on my nerves the most who do it and the one who drives me crazy asking me the same questions about stuff 10 times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008 11:56:24 PM »

I would be and have been quite flattered when people copy my craftiness.  Show them where to find inspiration and/or patterns online and places to get pointers for themselves and their own style should start emerging.  Its kinda cute when my friends ring me up with 'how do i tell if its a knit or a purl' or 'whats stocking stitch... ohhhhhh it has a name, thats my favourite one'

Antsy, why not start a crochet group.  Seeing you take your crochet to class may have given other closet crocheters the confidence to do so too, sadly not many girls these days have the confidence to pull out their craft in public, but you appear to have inspired them.  They also might want a chance to connect with you via your craft for whatever reason, perhaps they don't have any crafty friends and would like some.  Having other people to ask might also stop these girls in your class asking you all the stupid questions someone else to ask, next time they ask you can say 'well theres a group , maybe you should come join us and learn for yourself'.  She is probably hoping you will turn round and offer to teach her, and with the group the other members could help teach her too so you won't cop ALL the dumb questions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissGnomer
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008 10:58:25 AM »

I would be and have been quite flattered when people copy my craftiness.  Show them where to find inspiration and/or patterns online and places to get pointers for themselves and their own style should start emerging.  Its kinda cute when my friends ring me up with 'how do i tell if its a knit or a purl' or 'whats stocking stitch... ohhhhhh it has a name, thats my favourite one'

Antsy, why not start a crochet group.  Seeing you take your crochet to class may have given other closet crocheters the confidence to do so too, sadly not many girls these days have the confidence to pull out their craft in public, but you appear to have inspired them.  They also might want a chance to connect with you via your craft for whatever reason, perhaps they don't have any crafty friends and would like some.  Having other people to ask might also stop these girls in your class asking you all the stupid questions someone else to ask, next time they ask you can say 'well theres a group , maybe you should come join us and learn for yourself'.  She is probably hoping you will turn round and offer to teach her, and with the group the other members could help teach her too so you won't cop ALL the dumb questions.

That is such a good idea! I concur! Smiley

Nothing is more inspiring to me than seeing people fall in love with a craft, and I am more than happy to be the one to teach them! I mean, somebody was willing to teach me! After all, if everyone guarded their craft as their own, there certainly wouldn't be a craftster.org, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We must accept that this creative pulse within us is God's creative pulse itself"  Joseph Chilton Pearce
faerieangelchild
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008 07:00:53 PM »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

In other words, she's jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Re-Vintaged Jewelry

www.BirdcageBohemia.com

Don't get caged in, fly free...
MollyMillions
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008 09:52:39 AM »

I wouldn't fault someone for trying something new. If she's really changing up identities every so often, the crafty thing will pass. It may not, and she might discover a new skill - a skill that anyone can and should be able to explore. You may be the 'resident crafter', but I'm better there's lots of people at your school who craft at home, or outside of school. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I know it can be annoying, but it's not like she's about to surpass you in skill or talent. If anything your stuff will hold up better in comparison. Bugging you in class is solved by giving her internet/book resources and gettin' on over it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Psychocraftishredhead

That's the double sex pteridactyl party truck cake

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2008 01:43:09 PM »

So I'm in the habit of posting something, reading the responces for all of three days and then forgeting about it. That being said, I saw this and thought i'd let you know whats going on.

I took you all up on your advice, offered to help her when class was out, but after a while she gave up crochet for writing short stories (and thank goodness I didn't have to help her with that).

She quit the flute too because she thought it was too geeky.  Her loss, band is freaking awesome.  Thats was the only class we had so I haven't seen her in a while.

Thanks for everything though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*Concerning Monopoly*
Girl:  There was this really controversial move in the 1983 world chamionship...
Boy: Get. Off. Me.

KNOW THYSELF
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2008 01:25:56 PM »

I hear ya. I'm my school's resident crafty person, and I have much of the same problem.  Angry It drives me nuts. And another thing that drives me mad: No matter what I make, it doesn't impress anyone at all. For example-I tie-dyed my own fabric for a project I made in Intermediate Sewing, and when I brought it in and showed the teacher, she and one other student were the only ones who thought it was pretty. Everyone else was like, "....", and rolled their eyes.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cut Hair Yourself
How to Finger Wave Hair
How to Style Long Hair With Jerome Lordet
How to Pin Curl Long Hair
What Are the Best Long Hair Wedding Hairstyles?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...