A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aaargh - frustration! Can someone please help...  (Read 258 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tingeling
« on: September 30, 2006 01:34:25 AM »

Im so frustrated and have no clue as to what to do, I hope some of you talented sewers can help!

Im working on this Kwik Sew pattern:

Ive already made the dress (with a few alterations) and it came out nice:
  Yesterday I was working on the shirt.  This time I actually followed the instructions and pattern  Wink

The shirt looked ok, but when I tried it on my daughter I discovered that the opening for the head (sorry, not sure about the English word) is way to small.  Its just not possible to get her head through the opening.

What did I do wrong?  The material I sewed in has 25% stretch across the grain as recommended on the fabric.  I followed the grain directions when cutting and sewing.

I really hope someone can help, I just have no idea whatsoever of what I did wrong... 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006 08:15:26 AM »

Did you use a stretch stitch when stitching around the neck?  Straight stitches don't stretch at all, so unless you use a stretch straight stitch, zigzag or twin needle, the stitches won't allow the fabric to stretch, no matter how much stretch is in the fabric.  Maybe you could take out the stitches and try it on her without them?  Then you will know if the fabric stretches enough and the hole is about the right size.  Then try stitching it up again with one of the stretch stitches.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
paroper
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006 10:14:27 AM »

This may sound silly but many stretch fabrics only stretch across the grain.  Did you lay it out according to pattern layout?  Is it possible you laid it out sideways or cross grain instead of with the grain? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tingeling
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006 05:10:11 PM »

This may sound silly but many stretch fabrics only stretch across the grain.  Did you lay it out according to pattern layout?  Is it possible you laid it out sideways or cross grain instead of with the grain? 

Yes, this was were I went wrong.  English being my second language, I misunderstood "Grain of fabric" and thought it was the same as stretch of fabric.  Which it was not, turned out I had sewn the shirt with the stretch the wrong way.  No wonder it would not fit... Embarrassed

Oh well, I learned a lesson - next time I wont be so caught up in the instructions that I forget to actually think for myself as well!   Grin

Thank you so much for your help!   Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tingeling
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006 05:11:30 PM »

Did you use a stretch stitch when stitching around the neck?  Straight stitches don't stretch at all, so unless you use a stretch straight stitch, zigzag or twin needle, the stitches won't allow the fabric to stretch, no matter how much stretch is in the fabric.  Maybe you could take out the stitches and try it on her without them?  Then you will know if the fabric stretches enough and the hole is about the right size.  Then try stitching it up again with one of the stretch stitches.  Good luck!

Yes, I did use a stretch stitch...but it turned out that the stretch of the fabric was the wrong way...  But thank you so much for your help!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Chicken Marsala
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...