A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,667
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the new trend:ribbon covered bangles...TUTE! - morbidly obese in the image area  (Read 49403 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

i love my rabbit, sam. and he loves me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 29, 2006 07:46:08 AM »

EDIT - please excuse my teen talk all the out of dateness. will leave this up as the tute is still ok.
x Lauren Nov 2010

Hello. my mum brought back some bangles from london went she went to visit rellies. so i was ahead of the fashion for about....3 weeks. lol, oh well. i really like them, but i dont feel like shelling out 20 bucks for a whole collection, so, being a craftster, the cogs started grinding and i came up with these....enjoy and please comment.

originals (ie inspiring work Tongue):

TUTORIAL:
*check end of tute for material substitution ideas*
stuff you'll need: pringles can (or cardboard/plastic loop, i spose), scissors, craft knife, ribbon, super glue, gluestick glue, quilting padding (i dont know what its called...batting? the stuff you use between quilts, anyway), pins, milk bottle (or anything you can get strips of plastic from, try old stationary files, food packaging, toy packaging, etc).

so, cut the cardboard/plastic loop, or cut your pringles can. make sure you can fit it over your hand when the loop is closed. make sure the cuts are evenly spaced and straight, as it'll look like poo if you dont. make it as chunky/wide as you want.(sour cream is my favourite flavour Grin)

cut two peices out of the batting. Both the length of wrapping around the bangle(make it a tad longer to be safe, im not one for living dangerously when it comes to having to cut stuff all over again), one about 1/4 inch (or almost centimeter, if you're like me and live in a country which has moved on from imperial measurements) in from the width of the bracelet, the other a 1/4 inch (1cm) overlapping the width:

glue-stick the padding to the bangle, centring the skinny one first, then the thick one over the top, the thick one will overhang the pringle loop.

make sure the "joins" are in differnt places for neatness/shape sake

now, cut some long strips of the plastic, and just bend them inside the bangle, this is for stiffness and structural strength Tongue

get your ribbon, and pin it in place (you can superglue/e6000 it if you have the patience, but i dont, so meh)

then wrap baby, wrap! make sure you tuck the overlapping padding inside the bangle

once you've covered it all, cut off the extra, leaving the ribbon to end halfway in the inside of the bangle. pin in place. (you can take out the pin from earlier now)

now, superglue/e6000 it there. i guess fabric glue could work too.

and wait for it to dry, then wriggle the pins out. this is it completed, with "one i made earlier"...hehe

hope that was ok for a tute, make sure you post picks of any attempts here, or questions. seeya!

[edit]
a sort of summary of helpful bits from the rest of the topic:
- some kicking versions from other craftsters can be found on pgs 2, 3, 4,5,7 and 13. hehe.
- you could wrap them in fabric, but you'd have to like the seam line.
- if the inside of the bangle gets messy, you can glue a loop of thick ribbon inside the bangle, to cover the mess.
- big handers can use tape rolls from packing tape, or make their own custom sized one from just a strip of stiff card or plastic, or a peice of a plastic drink bottle, etc. anything that is semi-stiff will work, just cut a strip of it and tape it into a loop.
- wrapping them in ribbon first and then with those ribbons that are made of lace. lace trim is the name i think.
- the thinner in width you make the bangle, the more plastic re-inforcement you're going to need.
- pvc pipe cut with a handsaw is also another cheap, easy and stronger option to the pringles loop.
- try wrapping headbands, loop earrings, barettes...
- you can also make your bangle open ended, if you've got a small wrist but big hands...there is a pic in this pile of pages... somewhere. Undecided
- one thrifty craftster used dryer lint instead of quilt batting! genius!
- and show me the results!!!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010 09:17:38 AM by lol-lol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps :: www.osier.com.au
xx_bumblebee_xx
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 07:53:46 AM »

OH MY GOD! Those are soo cute and I had the exact same idea when I first discovered crafster. I told my parents the idea, trying to get their help to cut the pringles can evenly, and they looked like I was crazy. I'll have to print off your tutorial and be like "HA!". Thanks so much.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cluelessinthecity
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006 07:54:18 AM »

OMG, THAT'S AN AWESOME IDEA!!!!  I can't wait to try it.  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Petunia0384
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006 07:56:12 AM »

That is one of the best ideas ever.  I have to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shainna Smiley

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." -Tennyson
lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006 08:00:55 AM »

aww. thanks guys, goodluck wth your cheap accessory creations!!

bumblebee - hehe. awesome. say hi to your folks from me *waves*. and i recommend a ruler for the pringles can Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 08:21:27 AM »

awesome great idea!! i need to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
pranita
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006 10:15:51 AM »

oooo this is great!!!! Shocked
thank u for the tute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006 11:10:13 AM »

ur welcome Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoveNTheOcean
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006 02:47:55 PM »

Cheesy OMFG!! I LOVE THOSE THINGS! I will never buy them again, when i can make my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
noelle
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006 05:38:23 PM »

that is so creative and easy! good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Butterfly Face Paint
How to Perform Graded Wash in Watercolour Painting
How to Perceive Colour
How to Design a Cartoon Boat
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Car
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...