A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,202
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Glass Beads  (Read 1814 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2006 04:29:05 AM »

Curosity has stuck me in the glass genre. Not only in eventually learning glass fusing, but in making glass beads and other items.

Is there anyone here who makes their own glass beads, stained glass etc. with a kit like this?
http://www.glasscrafters.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=beg_tls
This is something I have been toying with getting before jumping in with both feet and getting a kiln.

Insight, comments, suggestions would be great.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 04:22:19 PM »

Cry *cough* lol

This glass section needs a kick in the pants. Where is sweets4ever? She can do it, she crafts everything  Wink

Seriously though, is no one into glass bead making, and other glass stuff much? Is it ht ecost of the supplies, kiln, etc.?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SonjaBoo

Bring it on

Napper extraordinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006 09:15:49 AM »

There are people around who make glass beads and such-- they probably just missed this post!   I would give advice if I knew more on it, but honestly have never tried it before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllessonBeads
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006 10:29:16 AM »

Curosity has stuck me in the glass genre. Not only in eventually learning glass fusing, but in making glass beads and other items.

Is there anyone here who makes their own glass beads, stained glass etc. with a kit like this?
http://www.glasscrafters.biz/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=beg_tls
This is something I have been toying with getting before jumping in with both feet and getting a kiln.

Insight, comments, suggestions would be great.  Smiley

Hello I make Lampwork Beads since 3 years now and I think to check out how to make Lampworkbeads is it better you make a small class. Only to check out if you like it. When you like it you will buye a better torch and have more fun with it. I know about many People who bought a Set like this and they are not happy and bought a better torch. If you buye a set like this you can`t work with every color. There are many colors who be only black because the flame is not hot enough. I never bought a Set like this because I knows from the first time this is what I would like to make for my life.
Don`t do it!
Sorry for my bad english Im coming from Germany
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thank you
Kristina
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006 11:29:13 AM »

Thank you very much for that great insight and information! I will do as you have suggested and try to find a local class to take. So I will wait till then to buy the torch, and necessary supplies so I know what I am getting.

No worries about your English, I understood you just fine.  Smiley My Father and his family are from Germany also (Edelfingen).  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EllessonBeads
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006 12:07:32 PM »

Thank you very much for that great insight and information! I will do as you have suggested and try to find a local class to take. So I will wait till then to buy the torch, and necessary supplies so I know what I am getting.

No worries about your English, I understood you just fine.  Smiley My Father and his family are from Germany also (Edelfingen).  Smiley

do you speak german too?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thank you
Kristina
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006 02:11:05 PM »

No, unfortunately I only know a few words. They came in 1938 so by the time I came along they mostly spoke English, except when Oma and Opa were arguing and did not want us to know.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lissaj
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006 06:32:04 AM »

I agree about trying a class, or gettting on a torch a few times any way you can to see how you like it.  A hot head is a cheap and easy way to get into it, for sure, and you could get your feet wet that way.  You could see if you want to get mroe into it from there.  Books are a super way to learn too, there are many good bead making books out there now, videos as well.  My small town library even has some of the books.  Good luck getting started, I hope you can find a class nearby or a lampworker willing to show you a few things.

lissa.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006 08:46:30 AM »

Thank you lissaj! I am going to do some checking around tomorrow to see if I can find something close. I should be able to at least find something at the college.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006 02:15:19 PM »

I know both of the glass shops in my little bitty town have glass bead making classes as does the bead shop.  So don't forget to check those too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Skirt
How to Embellish Skirts
How to Sew an Invisible Zip
How to Make a Tutu Dress
The Wildlife Pins of George G. Harris
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...