A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: T-Shirt Quilt **EDITED TO ADD TUTORIAL AS REQUESTED!**  (Read 15010 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kpuppy
« on: September 28, 2006 07:46:49 PM »

I know that a lot of these have been posted here, but I'm quite proud of mine, considering it is my first sewing project in AGES.

This is my t-shirt quilt, made from some of the dozens and dozens of t-shirts that I have collected from my time at Marshall University. Some of the t-shirts just have my school logo, others are shirts from more specialized events (the science fair I judge annually, my summer-research group, etc.) I also used blank squares, and I put some upside down because it is really meant to be a stadium blanket (for cold football games!), and I don't want it to matter which way it is held.

Front:

The back is polar fleece, which is Marshall fleece (!) that I found at the local Wal-Mart (yeah, I hate shopping there, but I needed Marshall fleece for my quilt!)

Sorry for the dumb look on my face, my boyfriend is not good at taking pictures!

**EDIT**

Ok, someone asked for a tutorial. I feel a little silly posting this because it was that easy, but here it goes anyway:

1) Choose your shirts. I ended up using the backs of shirts as well (blank panels), but I would say that if you want a design on every square of your quilt, you will need about 25-30 shirts, if you don't mind having blank panels, about half of that. Notice that I also used a green bandana -- you aren't limited to t-shirts!!

2) Cut 13"x13" squares from each shirt. I made a template from cardboard first, which made it much easier (that way I didn't have to measure each square) **NOTE: the 13"x13" idea was taken from "Generation T: 108 ways to transform a t-shirt"...for all other parts of this project, I did not follow this project**

3) IMPORTANT! Lay all your squares out on the floor in the pattern you want them to be on your quilt. I don't suggest trusting yourself, because you will end up with two of the same shirt together or something if you don't do this step. It is hard to keep track of all the squares in your head.

4) Now, I sewed the whole top together in one evening, so I just took each row of squares, pinned and sewed them together and then layed it back down on the ground. After all the rows were sewed, I took the first two rows, pinned and sewed, then pinned the third, so on and so forth. I wouldn't recommend pinning the whole shebang together..that makes it very hard to sew.

5) Once you have everything sewed together, lay the top of your quilt out on the floor, right side facing up.

6) Note about fabric backing: If you are using a light weight fabric, use batting as well. I used fleece because I wanted this to be a throw, not a blanket, but since I made this, I made another one for a little girl's bed. I put flannel on the back and batting in between the layers...it is a perfect blanket for the bed!

7) I got two yards of fleece backing, which turned out to be perfect. Most fabrics are about 60" wide...allowing for seam allowance, you will notice that 5 squares (using 13"x13" squares) is just under 60"....this is not an accident. However, if you want your blanket to be wider, I would just get 4 yards and sew them together lenthwise, then you have ~120" to work with.

Cool lay your fabric backing on top of your quilt top, right side down (if you are using batting, put the batting on top of the fabric backing) pin the two sides together, trimming any excess backing (and batting) as you go.

9) Sew the top and back together, leaving about a square's length unsewn to turn right side out. Use "invisible stitch" to close up your open square.

10) You can quilt this anyway you would like. I took the easy way out, and I just made a square knot using yarn and a big yarn needle at the corner of each square. I wouldn't suggest skipping this step, however, because you want the top of the quilt to be securely attached to the fabric batting.

VOILA!
This takes about two evenings. It is very easy to do all the cutting in one evening, and then all the sewing in the next...you could have a quilt by the end of the week!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007 04:30:25 AM by Kpuppy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

HorrorCraft
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 06:14:32 AM »

I'm not a sports fan at all, but I think that's totally awesome.  Good job!

One of these days I am going to make me one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my spooky craft and decor blog====> http://horrorcraft.blogspot.com/
my not so spooky craft blog====> http://enduremyworld.blogspot.com/
Kpuppy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006 07:05:50 AM »

Thanks! It isn't really a 'sports' thing at all, just stuff about my school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PiratePanties
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006 02:13:38 PM »

I just had to reply to this because of three things:

1) It's fantastic

2) I have a bucket-load of old tees I've been planning to transform into a quilt (now I just have to learn to sew)

3) That is where I go to college =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006 02:57:30 PM »

I just had to reply to this because of three things:

1) It's fantastic

2) I have a bucket-load of old tees I've been planning to transform into a quilt (now I just have to learn to sew)

3) That is where I go to college =D

That is where I go to college! What is your craft?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PiratePanties
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006 04:27:14 PM »

I'm an art major /  theatre minor! So that means I'm usually hole-d up in one of two buildings. They kinda stuff the art majors away so we don't get out much, heh.

It's awesome to meet you! This is too cool - I pretty much never meet anyone online where we're from!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elenadp
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006 05:32:31 PM »

First of all, fabulous job!  Cheesy
How did you make it? I made one once and I found it hard to make each t-shirt the exact same size and to line them up properly. I backed mine with an extra flat sheet I have...I'm in Florida, so stadium blankets are non-existent  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 08:42:35 PM »

First of all, fabulous job!  Cheesy
How did you make it? I made one once and I found it hard to make each t-shirt the exact same size and to line them up properly. I backed mine with an extra flat sheet I have...I'm in Florida, so stadium blankets are non-existent  Cool

I cut all the shirts to 13"x13". They weren't all perfect at all, I didn't even use a rotary cutter. Some were a bit smaller, some were a bit larger, I just made sure to be careful with the pinning before stitching the seams, so they all worked. It was actually very, very easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tivaclare
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006 08:44:13 PM »

Not at all familiar with the school...but excellent work. It's a great way to give new life to all the lame shirts one ends up with at college...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006 08:47:11 PM »

You will be familiar with the school...there is a huge movie coming out on Dec. 22 about it!

Thanks for the compliments...most of the shirts were ones I would never wear again anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Fantasy Creatures
How to Draw a Dragon
How to Draw a Leprechaun
How to Use a Pencil for Drawing
How to Create Caricatures
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...