A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: EMERGENCY!! SOMEONE PLEASE SAVE MY WEDDING!!!  (Read 2122 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dangerouslady
« on: September 28, 2006 05:46:31 PM »

ok well. I guess the entire wedding won't be ruined. but here's the problem:
I'm getting married in like 2 weeks (Fri. Oct 13) and I'm so thrify and crafty (aka. cheap) I figured I'd make the tablecloths instead of renting them for $120. So, off I trot to Fabricland, get there, and realize i have no idea how big they need to be. like how big are the tables? who knows. All I do know is that the one's online i was going to rent say they are 90". So I figured I'd need so and so much. And so, 25 and  few free meters, I trotted out $61 dollars lighter in the pocket. Tonight, after my 7th straight day at the office, I pull it all out, roughly measure it and realize I bought exactly half as much as I need. I guess the lack of sleep, and ridiculous of amount of work on my plate have taken their toll. So now I'm stuck. I figure I have about 30 meters of broadcloth thats 45" wide (8 meters of it black. the rest burgundy, cuz they had no more black and I was just too tired to plan to return) Any ideas?? I'm gonna actually call tomorrow and get the table measurements, but I'm not thinking I can get away with anything smaller than 75" circles. And I need 12 of em. I have not nearly enough to just cut it out, I'll have to piece some together, but since I'm already short, I don't have fabric to waste. And I suck at math. I guess I'm hoping someone can just put into directions what my brain just can't handle right now..haha..the more i try to figure it out, the worse it gets..Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm trying to avoid spending more dough, but I suspect I may need to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 05:52:39 PM »

party  city  has  LOTS  of  colors of table clothes but they are  plastic   but they  have the  colors.....   would  be  much  cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
dangerouslady
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 05:55:50 PM »

I really don't know what I was thinking. Actually, I wasn't thinking, thats the problem. My mind naturally reacts in "Oh! I can do it cheaper" mode. But, you're completely right. The thought of buying plastic table cloths just never even crossed my crafty little mind. I blame work. Or whoever.hahaah...al ready. back to wedding crafting.
Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006 06:01:02 PM »

well,  we  had  ordered white  tables  for my  brothers  wedding,,,,,, when tehy came tehy were  nasty wood that was stained adn discolored from too much use......
3 hours before the wedding I  was standing at party city looking for pastel table cloths.  THANK GOD  they had teh  right amount and  size.  as far as teh  cloth  call and see if  you can return it..... if  not I am  sure  you will find a great  way to  use it  after the  wedding caos  has calmed down.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006 06:07:07 PM »

Don't do plastic!!!  Tongue

Take a DEEP breath, call and get the measurements of the tables.  Then you can always make tablecloths that are one color in the center that have a different color hanging down the sides.  You can even use more than two colors as long as they match your wedding colors.  All 12 tables don't have to be identical, just have a unifying theme.  You can do it.  I just think plastic looks cheap and kinda outdoor picnic-y, unless of course an outdoor picnic is what you're going for and then I say go for it  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006 06:18:56 PM »

Did you talk to the rental place about the cost to rent linens? I second the not-going plastic route because I also think it's awfully tacky. Granted, it's better than bare tables, so if that's you're only option...I'd at least check on rentals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
dangerouslady
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006 06:57:46 PM »

well, i've done some research. i'm gonna get the measurements, crunch some number, shift some funds around, pull some favours...hahaha... i actually have an entire crapload of things to do in 14 days.
if you pray, please do. now is the time. how can a person so lazy be so damn ambitious. its like a curse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dangerouslady
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006 07:01:04 PM »

alright. so i posted that. then i go back to forum page and this thread had 6 replies 66 views. make of that what you will. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006 07:46:39 PM »

You might get more replies if you moved this over to the wedding section. There's a little tab down in the bottom left that says "move topic" just make sure you don't post a redirection post or whatever it's called. Otherwise, don't sweat it. Lots of lurking happens and people either didn't have a suggestion or would have just seconded what was said.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
paroper
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006 08:29:38 PM »

First of all, brides don't have all that much time before their weddings.  Good intentions aside, making a truck load of tablecloths should be the LAST thing on your mind.  You can get away with a 70 inch round on most of the folding tables.  Most are 60 inches...it doesn't leave a lot of drop but most people don't mind.  It is prettier than an ugly table and a whole lot easier to hande.  When we were planning my daughter's wedding we found white cloth table cloths in 70 inches at Wal Mart for $5.  Granted, it isn't black and it isn't burgandy...those were colors that I paid through the nose to get but by the time I found the white ones, I had round black table cloths coming from 4 states...after calling every Dillards in the state, I finally got hold of the last one and a sweet sales clerk was willing to go online and locate my table cloths for me.  We had table cloths from Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Missouri.   It seemed like a lifetime before we got them all here.  I had looked everywhere for the burgandy and black table cloths...online and all over.  THen, after I had everthing ordered, I found these for five bucks.  If I had found them first, I would have used the white for the bottom, a square of burgandy fabric and a smaller square of black in the center.  Squares are a lot easier to cut and handle.

If you should decide to return your fabric, most stores will take back fabric if it has been uncut.  Some will take it back if you return more than 4 yards and it has been cut.  If you still want to make your table cloths...trust me, making these this close to the wedding is NOT a good idea, you can cut your center strip which will be blunt on two sides so it will look kind of like a dog bone shape.  The curves will be toward the length of the fabric.  Next as close to the curves as you can, cut the sides, Using this idea you should use the maximum amount of fabric that you can before you move on.If you bought for 90 inch and make them 70 or 80 inches instead, you can make up 10-20 inches per tablecloth (actually more because the sides take up length too)...doing that you may be able to get more out of your fabric.  Square table cloths will be easier but you'll need more fabric and you probably won't want long points hanging from the table because they'll be in someone's lap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Paper in Watercoloring Painting
How to Do a Dinosaur Face Paint
How to Do a Skull Face Paint
How to Do a Monster Face Paint
How to Do a Butterfly Face Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...