A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,385
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Waldorf dolls  (Read 2441 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blonenomore
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006 06:59:53 PM »

I LOVE your dolls.  They are very very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"buckleberry ferry follow me..."
teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006 07:05:50 PM »

yay.. more waldorf doll makers! Yours are adorable, very traditional looking ;]

@selkie I went to a waldorf school ;]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006 07:10:50 PM »

this is going to be a sad display of my ignorance...but what is a Waldorf doll?!?  They're cute, though!

Yeah...I agree!  I tried to look these up but all they said was the expression was not there so an owner of the doll could put any expression they thought the doll had.  But now they're mentioning a school?  I'm sorry to ask this probably yet again, but why is it called a waldorf doll?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2006 08:50:36 PM »

Rudolf Steiner wrote a LOT about a philosophy of children's education and, in the US, schools based on that philosophy, Anthroposophy, are called Waldorf Schools - I know there's a reason, just can't remember.
Basically, the curriculum is a lot of art, music, writing, natural fibers, handwork, foreign languages, 2 recesses a day, games twice a week. My favorite part is that the teacher begins with the kids in first grade and follows them through 8th grade. It's been a great match for us, but it can also be probmematic. There is also a very strong focus on limiting media exposure - my son's fifth grade teacher is REALLY strict - we have no TV during the week and they can earn a DVD on the computer on the weekends.
There's a website that lists famous people who've gone to Waldorf/Steiner schools - I can't remember that, but there was a recent People magazine article with a picture of Jennifer Aniston at a prom at a Steiner school...
Anyway - hope that sheds a little light!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
kikigirl
Einstein was hot when he was young

Let's dance! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006 12:27:08 PM »

Rudolf Steiner wrote a LOT about a philosophy of children's education and, in the US, schools based on that philosophy, Anthroposophy, are called Waldorf Schools - I know there's a reason, just can't remember.
Basically, the curriculum is a lot of art, music, writing, natural fibers, handwork, foreign languages, 2 recesses a day, games twice a week. My favorite part is that the teacher begins with the kids in first grade and follows them through 8th grade. It's been a great match for us, but it can also be probmematic. There is also a very strong focus on limiting media exposure - my son's fifth grade teacher is REALLY strict - we have no TV during the week and they can earn a DVD on the computer on the weekends.
There's a website that lists famous people who've gone to Waldorf/Steiner schools - I can't remember that, but there was a recent People magazine article with a picture of Jennifer Aniston at a prom at a Steiner school...
Anyway - hope that sheds a little light!
Selkie

Wow selkie!  Thank you SO much.  I wish I went to one of those schools!!!  It sounds fun...the TV thing would be tough at that age but if everyone else in school is doing it!  So the doll must be based on these theories.  Smiley  Again thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2006 07:03:17 AM »

They're called Waldorf Schools throughout the world, not just in the states. There's an association for the schools, teachers and parents so you can check up on how "Waldorf-y" your school is. In kindergarden you play with natural material toys, such as silk and cotton marionettes, carved wood blocks, houses and animals, felt gnomes or fairies, and the cotton/wool baby dolls. They're not unique to the school, but are popular in the school community and are as such associated with it. They're the anti-barbie. Often times in the kindergarden room the dolls won't have faces embroidered on. That's so the young child will imagine a face for their doll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
ChloeisCrazy
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2006 08:55:33 PM »

Your dolls are both adorable!!! I love their hair especially!! Wow, I had to wist the first one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yaxbooty
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006 05:42:53 PM »

Your dolls are cute!  and they are holding up.

I don't know if I am allowed to swap yet, but if you do a swap, I'd like to do it too!

This is my favorite Waldorf dolls book (and I have quite a few).  It has detailed photos of every step.  And I like her necks best.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Dolls-Their-Clothes-Projects/dp/1564773345/sr=8-1/qid=1159835993/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-9716723-2545625?ie=UTF8&s=books

ok, my links stink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do A Crown Braid
How to Fix Bad Hair Color
How to Curl Your Hair with a Clipless Curling Iron
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...