A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,176
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clear vinyl for wallet ID windows  (Read 1536 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Rubywoo
« on: September 28, 2006 10:32:47 AM »

I ahvea question for those of you who have made wallets... What gauge of clear vinyl do you use for the ID windows? I have tried making them with a discounted length that I found at Walmart (so it did not have any info on it) for like two bucks for that purpose. I thought It would work because it did not seem like it was too thick or hard too sew but I was wrong. It was a nightmare to sew. I really would like to make a nice ID window for my wallets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 12:07:15 PM »

I sometimes recon it from those packages that sheets and stuff come in.
how much do you need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006 02:17:50 PM »

Rubywoo, I bought mine from Wal-Mart this time. I got the mama-bear gauge. (Not the thinnest, not the thickest.) It works great.

My question: are you using tissue/teflon zipper foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
Rubywoo
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006 05:29:32 PM »

No, I'm not using any special feet. I am using my all-purpose foot for my mahcine. Is that my problem? Should I be using a special foot?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evildeadgirl
I walk the line between Good and Evil

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006 05:34:28 PM »

Im not sure what weight I have.. i got it at joanns, it was a "remnant" but it was ALOT.. at least a yard or more, for like a dollar (love the 50% off sales heh). But, it works fine with my machine using the reg foot. Its about the same thickness as the vinyl bags you'd get linens or other things in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She thought she had the moon in her pocket. But now she's dead, she's so dead..forever dead and lovely now.

Personal Swap friendly, pm me!!

http://www.myspace.com/evildeadgirl6
http://www.wists.com/evildeadgirl
wingedwallflower

going down the levi's stairs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006 05:41:57 PM »

well, i don't ever use any special foot.  you just need to put tissue paper between the foot and the vinyl and the vinyl and the feed dogs cause otherwise the vinyl will end up sticking and it won't run through smoothly.  goodluck, i hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

words are flying out like endless rain into a paper cup....
graced

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006 05:48:26 PM »

No, I'm not using any special feet. I am using my all-purpose foot for my mahcine. Is that my problem? Should I be using a special foot?

A regular foot works fine for me, too, as long as I use tissue paper or an index card to keep the presser foot AND the feed dogs from grabbing the vinyl. If you're using some kind of paper to keep the foot/dogs off the vinyl, that's all you need.  I read somewhere that a teflon foot is wonderful, and bought one at Hancock Fabrics for under $2 but haven't ever used it. I just keep an index card handy when I am sewing the wallets. I slip it between the presser foot and the vinyl and voila! No prob!

I was just trying to trouble-shoot and make sure it IS the vinyl that is giving you fits and not the technique. Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
wontonzero
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006 01:49:27 PM »

when you say, "you just need to put tissue paper between the foot and the vinyl" or, "I slip it between the presser foot and the vinyl" do you sew right through it, then? i can't imagine how else it would work because i've never tried. it seems like that would work ok with tissue paper, but an index card seems a bit thick along with the vinyl.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graced

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006 02:23:33 PM »

Good question. I think I was terribly unclear, I'm sorry!

Many people lay regular gift-wrapping tissue paper right over the vinyl and sew through it. It tears just away as you would expect.

I use an index card and run it just under the presser foot just to the left of the needle. The foot glides on the card, the needle sews into the cloth that's over the vinyl. No problem, and nothing left to tear, etc.

I should say (so I'm not confusing you again! Undecided) that this is when I am putting the little piece on top of the license window--a homemade double-fold bias piece.

What I tried the other night was using low-tack masking tape to fix the bias tape onto the vinyl so I can sew it on neatly (since I can't put pins in the vinyl). The tape just tears away from both sides of the stitching, and replaces the need for anything between the vinyl and the presser foot! I still have to tear (and use tweezers for any little bits that stick in the stitches), but I have nice straight stitching and non-stuck vinyl.

I hope this makes sense. If it doesn't, let me know. I can maybe take pictures or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChloeZ

this is why graffitti rocks

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006 02:30:31 PM »

What about putting the tape directly onto the presser foot?? This wouldn't help with the feed dog issue.

I have trouble with oil cloth and the feet, so I can't wait to try the index card!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.knitmoi.blogspot.com

I really really really would love to have Interweave Knits Spring 2007 for those Eunny Chang entrelac socks. . . Does anyone want to swap for it?! I have yarn, I can sew, embroider, knit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix & Match Your Wardrobe
DIY Fashion Inspired by the Kitchen
Is a Bra the Secret to Looking Slimmer?
4 Fashion Looks For Only $80
2013 Summer Swimsuit Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...