A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do know of any machine that don't use a foot pedal?  (Read 1644 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ScissorSister7
Do you need a cute purse to go with that outfit?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 28, 2006 08:51:27 AM »

I have an old old old Montgomery Wards sewing machine that works okay but I found out today that there are no part available for this machine any more.  So if the machine breaks, I'm in big trouble.  So I'm going to start looking around for a machine.

My current machine is operated by a button.  I just push a button and it starts sewing and then push the same button and it stops.  I've had a broken leg and some foot injuries and I have found that I really can't sew with a foot pedal.  Does anyone know if there are any current machine available that are operated with a button like mine?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join my yahoo group Always Sewn With Love to purchase fabrics at or near wholesale prices

I'm interested in personal swaps -- I love bracelets & necklaces and I don't know how to make them.
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 09:14:08 AM »

Would you be able to use a knee operated "foot" pedal?  I don't know of any button-operated one like yours (and I would really like to see pictures, if you've got 'em!), but you can get cabinets that let you put the pedal up under the table and operate it with your knee.  Actually, I wish my cabinet was like that...it's pretty slick, actually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
tinytoe
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 09:28:13 AM »

My Brother CS80 has the option of not using the foot pedal. You can stop/start sewing with a button and what's cool is that it's got a little slider to control speed.

I know some people don't think much of Brother sewing machines but mine has been nothing but a joy to use.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jennickell
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006 09:42:53 AM »

My mom had an ancient singer years ago that was knee operated (a pedal type thing stuck down from inside the cabinet that you pushed to the side with your knee or thigh) but I havent seen anything like that on any newer models.
I see the machine of the future being voice activated "machine sew, stop, reverse", that would be sweet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006 12:33:41 PM »

My mom had an ancient singer years ago that was knee operated (a pedal type thing stuck down from inside the cabinet that you pushed to the side with your knee or thigh) but I havent seen anything like that on any newer models.
I see the machine of the future being voice activated "machine sew, stop, reverse", that would be sweet.

To the best of my knowlege, "knee operationg" really has nothing to do with the age of the machine; it's all about the cabinet.  Now, in terms of cabinets, you might have to find an older one, but most of the older ones that I have seen (and they seem to be abundant at my second hand shops) have a slot for you to slide the foot pedal in, and a lever to push with your knee.

You people with these button operated machines:  I've never heard of such a thing!  PICTURES, people!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006 01:07:27 PM »

We used to have a knee operated machine in school (I graduated years ago, so no picture). It had a little pad attached to a lever under the table the machine was bolted to and it was really nice to use, despite the fact that I'm more used to working with a foot pedal.

And I'd like to join Tinytoe in praising Brother sewing machines. I've had mine for over 10 years now and despite a whole lot of use and abuse, it's still running fine. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006 01:16:19 PM »

I  have  3  machines adn  every one of the foot petals has screw holes in the  bottom so they can be  mounted  anywhere you wish..... I  used to have it  mounted to the floor because it  used to  slide  alot..............   as far as  voice activated that  would  be  great ....well till I started in on the  kids......God only knows what I would mak ethe machine do then..LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
paroper
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006 03:21:54 PM »

Bernina makes a handicapped option that can be purchased and used on several of their machines.  I'm not sure which ones or if all of the machines can use it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graced

Whatever! (Philippians 4:8)

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006 03:34:53 PM »

My brother CS6000 also has a push button. It works only if the pedal isn't plugged in so there's no way to goof with it. It's pretty neat because my, um, timid child can set the machine on the slowest setting and use her finger to "make it go," completely eliminating those heart-stopping wide-open stitching fits that make me think she's going to sew herself to the project!!! I just took a picture, too. If I can get it uploaded, I'll show ya!

Ah, to heck with trying to load it here--here's the link on my flikr account:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehumofdelicious/255192868/
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006 04:07:24 PM by graced » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Words to craft by: Un homme a cheval va jamais voir ca...  "A man on horseback will never notice that."
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2006 04:07:50 PM »

Another option so that you aren't limiting yourself:  My dad is paralyzed from the waist down and when he uses my mom's sewing machine he just puts the foot pedal on the table and uses it with one hand.  It's probably not the easiest, but it works for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Inspiration Piece: 4 Ways To Wear A Leather Skirt
Celeb Street Style: Jessica Alba, Lily Aldridge and Zooey Deschanel
Reveal of the Ultimate Bachelor Makeover
How to Add Style to Your Outfit in Just One Minute
How to Wear White for Winter
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...