A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,951
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else have an old Kenmore (sewing machine)?  (Read 32735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ORNurse
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008 06:26:40 PM »

Hi Sapphire!
Thanks so much I have been looking, but no luck yet.  Actually I just had the sewing machine repair guy come out and repair my machine...works like new! 

Good luck with your yours!
-A Very Tired OR Nurse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chamby
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010 06:43:01 AM »

I have the very machine that you have pictured from Ebay. However I have lost the attachments. I trying very hard to find these somewhere that I can purchase. I just love this machine. So if you know where I can get them please let me know. And yes they do take the metal bobbins.
chamby
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010 05:39:29 AM »

Well, instead of looking for "kenmore" feet, determine what the shank style of your machine is.

Identify the Type of Feet for Your Sewing Machine

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
sewnutzz
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010 02:39:27 PM »

You may still be able to get parts for your old Kenmore sewing machines from Sears.  You need to know the part number (you can often find it in the manual, or your service tech can help you with that). 

I bought an old Kenmore just like pictured, just like the one I learned on in 1969, at a garage sale (complete with accessories, monogram discs, and decorative stitch cams).  While I was taking it to the service tech for a good servicing, it tipped over and broke the bobbin winder assembly.  The tech said call Kenmore, and $25 later, I had the part and for another $75, the machine was fixed good as new.  The tech said I would have to pay $700 for a modern machine that was of similar quality.

Love, love, love the old Kenmores (which I have been told were manufactured by Pfaff, current ones are manufactured by Janome).

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miztic01
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010 05:24:19 PM »

I have the Kenmore 158.1410, I bought it in 1972.  Have never had a single problem with it, and it's still going strong. I kept an eye open on Craigslist and bought a similar model in like new condition, carry case and accessories for $15. Just so that if I ever needed parts I would have them. I definitely like the older machines better. I also have acquired a Singer 401, 500, 301 and a 221 in the last year or so. I've gotten to the point I enjoy working on them more than sewing.LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010 07:59:25 AM »

Love, love, love the old Kenmores (which I have been told were manufactured by Pfaff, current ones are manufactured by Janome).

SewNutzz

None of the Kenmores where ever manufacturered by Pfaff.   The 3 digit prefix on the model number (aka "source code") will indicate from whom Sears aquired the machine.

117 - White
148- Soryu
158- Maruzen/Jaguar
340 - Necchi
385 - Janome
516- Gritzner Kaiser
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
Misscritta
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010 07:27:08 AM »

So glad to find this thread! Over the past few years, I have been "promised" three sewing machines if I wanted them. I just was bitten with the sewing bug, so I'm going to pick up one this weekend...and it is a 1974 or 1975 Kenmore! (My mom has the one in the first picture on this thread...bought it new and still uses it!) I have been lurking on the sewing threads for ideas, so I'll probably be in here asking questions. I haven't sewn a stitch in 15 years, so I'm a re-newbie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
heltonart
Art & More

Dollbabe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010 11:40:37 PM »

My machine is very close to these that have been posted. I got it in 1976 from my soon to be husband.  I've sewn millions of miles of thread through my baby.  It has external parts broken, but keeps on sewing!  No face cams, just basic stitches.  But I can't help wanting a newer machine that embroiders!  Ah, one of these days! LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ratfiend
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010 07:13:06 AM »

I have a Kenmore 1341/158 zigzag. Which unfortunately needs a new lower belt. (T__T). This was my moms machine that she got in the 80's. I really <3 this machine, it's such a workhorse and can handle almost any fabric that I put through it.  Hopefully I can find a belt for it today {it was screeching and making whiring noises/not wanting to sew}, not looking forward to price tag if I have to take it to a shop. But over all one of the best machines I have used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.sinistercreations.etsy.com

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!
lizcrafts
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010 11:03:46 AM »

I'm just about to start using my grandmother's old Kenmore 1410 Zig Zag machine. I wasn't sure what kind it was, but found the manual with it & this Craftster thread came up in my Google search! I've already learned a lot.
I sewed very little when I was in the 6th grade(about 20 yrs ago) so I'm completely new at it. I wasn't very good at it then, but I really want to get to know this machine & try to use it. I'm going to bring it to a place nearby that cleans & fixes sewing machines. I'm sure it hasn't been used in at least 15 years, so it must need a bit of care. It's in really good shape otherwise. My grandmother had kept everything that went with it, I think.
Sadly, she passed away 5 years ago & I never thought about asking her about the machine when she was alive. Ah well...
Anyway, I'm excited to get started with my first project. Wish me luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Cannoli Cheeseball?! Learn How to Make This Delicious Treat
Try This Honey-Dijon Twist on a Delicious Party Dish
Your Party Guests Will Love This Hawaiian Cheeseball
Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
How to Make Buttermilk Biscuits With Strawberry Butter
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...