A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,477
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else have an old Kenmore (sewing machine)?  (Read 30119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

purlychick
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006 06:17:41 PM »

I just bought a Kenmore 158.14301 sewing machine today at the Goodwill for $19.99, looks just the one in the picture above. I was so happy because I wanted an older machine and this looked so nice. However, I can't sew and know nothing about sewing machines.  Grin

One of those vertical spool pins is broken off completely - the one on the left - and there's no presser foot, no manual, no bobbins. I had some metal bobbins at home and they fit. I managed to put in the bobbin. Threading went a bit harder but I think I got it, except for the final step. The final step, right where you get the thread to the needle is fuzzy, can't really tell where to put the thread.

I can't sew because of the no foot situation, but I did turn it on and it runs, I just don't know if it sews at all. Got 10 days to test it out and I can return it if it's no good.

So far I'm in love and I want it to work. Is that broken spool pin going to be a problem? Can I just use the one on the right?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006 06:20:15 PM by purlychick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006 09:24:46 PM »

The spool pin is usually pretty easy to replace.  However, you shouldn't need it until you do twin needle top stitching, which probably won't be just every day.  It is a wonderful machine and you should be able to get the parts you need.  The feet can be purchased often on e-bay.  The foot pedal may be a little harder but can probably be ordered from Sears.  It is probably a keeper as far as machines go.  They are wonderful machines that are built like a tank. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purlychick
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006 03:09:40 PM »

The spool pin is usually pretty easy to replace.  However, you shouldn't need it until you do twin needle top stitching, which probably won't be just every day.  It is a wonderful machine and you should be able to get the parts you need.  The feet can be purchased often on e-bay.  The foot pedal may be a little harder but can probably be ordered from Sears.  It is probably a keeper as far as machines go.  They are wonderful machines that are built like a tank. 

Grin Thanks, I already love this thing and I haven't even sewn a stitch with it yet.

Maybe my terminology wasn't right. I do have a foot pedal, the thing you push with your foot, and I plugged the thing in and the machine runs when I push the pedal and it "sews". That is I see the needle go up and down, doing all the right motions, or what I think is right.

What I don't have is the presser foot, the thingy that keeps the fabric flat under the needle. It's just missing, so I have to buy a new one I guess. The reason I don't know if it really sews is because I can't test it really without the presser foot. Or am I wrong about that? Can I sew without a presser foot (at least on a swatch to test it)?

I haven't tried winding a bobbin yet, but according to threading diagrams I've seen online, the "inner wheel" - or is that the clutch? -, that you can turn by hand (not the big outside manual wheel) is supposed to come out and then be pushed back in as part of the bobbin winding process. Mine turns nicely, but does not come out. Is it supposed to come out?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006 03:49:56 PM »

Hold the ouside wheel and then turn the inside wheel.  It should disengage your needle when it is loosened.  It is more like turning it on and off...I don't think you'll notice a big difference.  When you start to sew, you tighten it back up and the needle will go up and down again. 

I've never tried sewing without a presser foot but you shouldn't have that big of a problem getting those.  It's the powered foot that might be hard to get (and that isn't a problem)...so you are almost there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fadette
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006 09:24:18 AM »

I have the kenmore 1410 which I got from my late mother and I am having trouble getting the right tension, can anyone help.
I just want to do hems and simple sewing repairs and am unable to find a tension that works.
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purlychick
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006 12:39:20 PM »

Hold the ouside wheel and then turn the inside wheel.  It should disengage your needle when it is loosened.  It is more like turning it on and off...I don't think you'll notice a big difference.  When you start to sew, you tighten it back up and the needle will go up and down again. 

I've never tried sewing without a presser foot but you shouldn't have that big of a problem getting those.  It's the powered foot that might be hard to get (and that isn't a problem)...so you are almost there. 

Thanks for all your help!

A bit of an update: I had to abandon the old Kenmore unfortunately. I took it in to a local sewing machine repair place and they said that the needle bar was broken and they wanted $80 to fix it, clean the thing and oil it. That was a bit more than I wanted spend on it and after I took a look at the manual from Sears, it just seemed like too much trouble. Making a buttonhole had a four page long explanation. I took it back to the Goodwill  Cry.

I bought a Euro-Pro Shark 7133 from Target and I love it so far. Metal parts, adjustable presser foot pressure, 80 st. functions, almost as heavy as the old Kenmore and sews very nicely. Has some nice stitches and best of all making a buttonhole is easy even for a complete beginner like me. I already made a couple of pillows, bags and coasters with it. Happy so far but sad that that nice old Kenmore didn't work out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006 09:47:45 PM »

Cry  I'm sad you abandoned the Kenmore.  Of course, I'm partial to old machines, particularly Kenmores, but I think the $80 was reasonable and a worthwhile investment, considering the amount of life you would have gotten out of that machine.

BUT, it's not my pocketbook, and I'm not the one sewing on it, so as long as you're happy, that's all that matters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
redidin
Interstitial Hitchhiker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006 12:01:26 PM »

I have a wonderful old Kenmore that my friend's mom found for $10 at a garage sale. It only has one foot, and it's heavier than a satchelful of bricks, but I wouldn't trade it for the world--it's an awesome old beast and incredibly durable (survived a cross-country move boxless in the back of a truck!).

As for the initial question--mine uses metal bobbins ONLY...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ORNurse
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008 10:37:13 AM »

Hello Everyone,

I am now the proud owner of my grandmothers circa 1969 Kenmore sewing machine!  It looks exactly like the one that has been pictured on this page, but it is that lovely green color that was so in vogue at the time!  I learned to sew on this machine at age 8...but now I am a middle-aged mom...and have forgotten much of this machine's capabilities.  What I was wondering....if any of you out there have this machine's monogramming disks.  I only have 10 letters of the alphabet.
My e-mail is jggmgg@windstream.net
Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sapphire_distortion
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008 11:33:53 AM »

ORNurse, you should be able to find some on eBay. That's where I found the pattern cams and buttonholer/accessories kit, for $20 w/shipping for both of 'em. Smiley

I have a 1703, this is the only picture I have of it:

I decided to name it Vivienne...after Westwood...haha. Smiley I'm still getting the cams to work but it sews sooooo much better than my plastic Brother. Nice and smooth. I can't wait to get the cams working.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Decline Designs - the blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Almond-Orange Shortbread Cookies
Apple Crisp Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Easy Pear Tart Recipe
Caramel Bread Pudding Recipe
How to Make Instagram-Themed Cupcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...