A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Displaying Multiple Photographs Without Using Frames  (Read 1158 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dj_jammer506
x~Gay As A Rainbow is Bright~x

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2006 11:52:50 AM »

I've recently redone my room... Even though I still have to find someone to put up crownmolding, find a way to hang up my clothes on something that fit into the "scheme" of my room, and repaint my dresser.

BUT, anyway. I love taking pictures, mostly of my friends. I'm an avid photobucket user with 242 pictures in my main album, and 364 pictures in my cell phone picture album... I told you I love taking pictures.

As the title says, I'm looking for a way to display photographs in my room. I would constantly be changing the photos out for new ones so I don't really want to frame, unframe, frame, etc... and I'd rather not pin them to the wall or a corkboard, so I was think something with magnets. Any Ideas?

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

- Dj
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking for someone to do any Personal Swap with... PM Me if interested! Don't Be afraid!
CatieD
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006 06:37:07 PM »

More than a year ago I gave my mother a magnetic photo frame.  Basically, it's just a large piece of the very thin magnetised stuff used on fridge magnets, with a hole cut for the photo.  They can be purchased in various colours and sizes (here in Oz anyway) and it's dead easy to change photos.  Mum has it attached to her fridge but you could easily use several (lots?) of them on a magnetic whiteboard on your wall.

Hope this helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like word games, try Babble.  www.playbabble.com
stealaline
The best part of believe is the lie. I hope you sing along.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006 09:10:52 PM »

have you thought about sticky tac?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist
my personal LJ
win with me on winzy! prizes I've won:$10 amazon gc Friends:4
I really want a sock monkey, or 5! Where do you people get those awesome socks?!?!
laurenhunt
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006 09:44:15 PM »

ok. so, i saw this on a hgtv show, and would do it myself if i could nail holed in my apartments walls- buy some clipbards, a decent number, like 9, 12, or even get crazy with 16. the cheap brown kind would probably be best. then, depending on your color scheme, you could paint them or leave them as is. hang them on the wall in a grid pattern, so they take up the same amount of space as a decent size piece of art. then, just clip 8by10s on to them, rotating the pictures easily just be unclipping. if you dont want to shell out the big bucks for photopaper 8by10s, i would reccomend either printing them yourself, or taking cds into an office supply store and having color copies made onto cardstock. this costs approximately 1.50, and is generally pretty high quality, depending on the size of your picture file. anyway, good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myauntjune.blog spot.com
http://auntjune.etsy.com
http://wists.com/laurenhunt
and personal swaps

"Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin
Hollow Shel
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006 04:10:34 AM »

More than a year ago I gave my mother a magnetic photo frame.  Basically, it's just a large piece of the very thin magnetised stuff used on fridge magnets, with a hole cut for the photo.  They can be purchased in various colours and sizes (here in Oz anyway) and it's dead easy to change photos.  Mum has it attached to her fridge but you could easily use several (lots?) of them on a magnetic whiteboard on your wall.

Hope this helps Smiley
I've seen those! I've also seen "photo corners" that follow the same principle - they're shaped like standard 'photo corners' (the fat L/triangle shape) but are much larger - usually an inch long on the 'square' sides or more. They have the advantage of being adjustable to the size of the photo. If you can find blank magnetic sheets (I've found them in dollar store craft sections around here, but ymmv) then you can cut your own - even the 'small' sheets I've found would probably yield about 6 or more sets of the corners. (Or you could combine the ideas - make a 'solid' frame, then cut up the 'scrap' from the center into corners. a solid frame gives you a LOT more flexibility for decoration)

Another possibility is to make a fabric-covered memo board. There's a picture and instructions for what I'm talking about here. While I'm not crazed for the look of the example, the basic principle definitely covers your "quick and easy" change out requirement. The ribbon strips are what you use for holding notes, pictures, etc. - you just slip the corners under a couple of the ribbons and they stay there til you take them down again, without picking up holes like they would with the corkboards you're trying to avoid. You can make the board any size you want, really, so long as you have room enough and a backing board to support it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
blackheathen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007 01:00:06 PM »

Have you seen the Photojojo website?
They have lots of great ideas for displaying photos, including a magnet/wire set-up that's great!
I've found lots really clever bits and bobs there....lots of funny stuff too.

http://www.photojojo.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not believe in an afterlife, although I am bringing a change of underwear."
-Woody Allen
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007 10:37:55 PM »

Want a cheap way?
Go to your local scrap metal yard, pick up a chuck of metal,  Use some fancy electical tape on the edges and some spray paint to make it a cool color.   then you can take some cute stones and make magintes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Baby Bonsai

sequins GALORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007 12:49:02 AM »

you could.. buy or make one of those little stands that clip the photos. i used to hate usign those becxause they'd give my photos a little bite dent but i found if you clip foam with the photos that desnt happen. I'm not sure where you can buy them, but a friend made mine. So yeah.. i just hold my photos in a little album now though! hahaha good luck!

BB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
niknac98
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007 06:15:16 PM »

don't know what you "theme" is but http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=77989.0   Yardstick shelf is quick and easy- I have photos on mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batty
weird kid

If no one was crafty life would be boring.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007 12:59:44 PM »

you could see if you could get two big clear vinyl shower curtains, cut them to the size you want,  and then cut one of them into strips the height of your photos, then sew (or i suppose you could use some sort of glue) the strips onto the whole one so that it's essentially a big clear sheet of pockets, then hang it up somewhere and put your photos in the pockets.

have you thought about sticky tac?
sticky tac (or blue tac) can leave a residue on walls and pictures. which is no fun, especially if it's blue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

replies are so encouraged.... it's scary.
deviantart
wists
blog (it's new so there's not much at all on it)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Welcome to the Film Lab
Gestures in Silent Films
What Colour Temperature Is
Watch This Instead #63 - Hot Tub Time Machine
The Film Lab: Lighting Ratios
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...