A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kool Aid Man costume  (Read 314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

EasilyAmused

You're gonna make it after all.....

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2006 11:21:43 AM »

For our Homecoming Skit at UCF we need a Kool Aid Man costume. It needs to be durable, but someone has to be able to dance in it. Any ideas on how to construct it and make it look awesome would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollow Shel
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 10:45:58 AM »

you could do it as a stuffed form but that would be pretty warm for dancing. I'd toyed with the idea of a hula-hoop-wire and boning idea, but then realized that a couple sheets of foam is all you really need. Just the sort of foam you get for padding or upholstery (the softer stuff, not the hard stuff like "pool noodles"). Get it thick enough it provides its own support (minimum of an inch thick). You'd have to use panels of it pieced together to get the proper effect - the way I'm thinking it would have to be sort of "fish" shaped panels (the pointed-oval needed to cover a sphere, with the widening on one end to give the upper opening of the pitcher) Glue it all together on the edges (I'm trying to think what we used in drama in HS. Contact cement I think? Experiment with scraps to make sure your adhesive a: works b: doesn't melt the foam) and then just use paint (poster paint would work if you're not taking it into the rain) to color it the right shade and put on the details of the "face" etc.

There's two ways to do the overall format of the costume. One has the wearer's head sticking out the top, the other is fully enclosed. (I really don't recommend the last, a lot of hassle - buuut... if you really gotta do it that way then you'd have to cut out the facial features to give view/breathing holes. I'd cover the holes with black pantihose glued to the edges of the opening then trimmed down when dry. You might also want to add false forearms to the costume too in that case, as the belly of the pitcher would probably make the wearer's elbows disappear. By holding the 'elbow' of a false forearm, they could wave, etc, with it, the wrist joint acting as elbow for the outfit. Can't pick anything up though...)

Was ANY of that coherent? I can see it very clearly in my mind, but I'm not sure if it makes sense to anyone but me. I can do line-drawing sketches for you if anything's confusing, just ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Aperture Priority (Av) Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Sports Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Product Photography
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Portrait Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...