A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
347 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Lots of old clothes?  (Read 4379 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Unnamed
« on: September 27, 2006 11:17:09 AM »

I'm trying to clear out closet space, mainly getting rid of clothes that are either too big, too short (long sleeved shirts and pants) and/or that I flat out haven't worn for a while and I hate to just throw or give it away, as I'm currently jobless.

A ton of shorts (denim and heavy-cotton, got more that aren't in the pic), many of which are too big.  I'd make new shorts from them, but I can't wear 'em anyway, so....  I don't really need/want any handbags and I'd make it into a quilt/cover for my computer chair or something if the colours were darker.

About 7 (so far, anyway) sweaters, 5 all with metallic stuff in 'em.

A ton of old shirts, more of a knit type material, lots of stripes...

Some random things: Flannel shirts, couple dresses, couple skirts, and some long sleeved shirts and other random stuff.

Also have several (at least half a dozen, I'd guess) sweatshirts, both dark and light colours and of course old jeans/pants.  The pants I might salvage for making corsets, but not sure what to do with the jeans and lighter coloured pants, including some corduroy.

As you can see, lots of light colours...and I wear/like lots of DARK colours, so I'm not sure how to successfully reuse stuff, especially for clothes/home 'stuff' other than do a lot of dyeing (which I know nothing about).  If I can't do anything with it for me to keep, I suppose I could sell what I make?  As my fashion/decorating sense is a bit dark, though, not sure what would be good given what I've got...or if it would be a viable option.

Any ideas?  I have a sewing machine, don't mind some hand sewing, do beading and I can crochet (but not knit).  I'm especially interested in ideas for the sweaters and all that striped/plaid/etc. fabric as my mind is drawing a blank on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006 01:02:01 PM »

I'm especially interested in ideas for the sweaters and all that striped/plaid/etc. fabric as my mind is drawing a blank on that.

Ever hooked a rug? Or a pillow top? or a pin?

Look at the book BEAUTIFUL RAG WORK by Lizzie Reakes
http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Ragwork-Hangings-Furniture-Accessories/dp/0312303955/ref=sr_11_1/102-2709441-4127318?ie=UTF8
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
fionahamstern
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006 02:40:12 PM »

i had a similar situation. 2 growing kids and lots of old clothes.

i have been handsewing free-form quilts - which is a lot of fun (but takes a long time). they could also be done on a machine too. i was inspired by the gee's bend quilting exhibit. i didn't use any quilting patterns - just winged it with colors and fabrics i liked. i started cutting out rectangles and just sewing them together. i included pockets and it turned out nice. it uses up a lot of fabric. i didn't try knits, because i thought it would be too stretchy. i took an old sheet to back it.

another thing i have been doing is making cloth napkins, which is super easy. i take old tshirts and cut straight across under the arms to make a square shape. then cut at the sides to make 2 square pieces (1 from the front half, 1 from the back half). i had some embroidery floss and folded up the edges and hand sewed with a blanket stitch. i have a bunch of napkins now. more fun that paper ones and cuter than cloth ones you would buy. this could also be done on a machine. i didn't because i don't have a very good one.

sorry, i don't have any pictures.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
doc*dog

What cute grandkids, they can't be mine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006 04:40:28 PM »

I guess quilts would be the most obvious.
I've used old tropical shirts to recover chair seats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nani-ka
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006 11:31:39 PM »

My standard default "old clothes" thing is to turn them into crazy quilts - where the only rule is that you can't have 2 patches of the same colors next to each other. Anything goes as far as patch size, fabric, pattern, what have you. Then, if you really don't need any more quilts, there are always charities that can use donated blankets.

For the collection of shorts - lately i've obsessively converting all of my blown-out jeans into ankle-length skirts - so I'd imagine you could cut the inseams out of the shorts & stitch them into skirts, adding a strip of some other fabric around the bottom hem if they're not quite long enough. Of course if they're too big through the waist this might not work too well, although if some of them are khaki or stuff that's lighter than denim, you can add little darts on the back & make a skirt that fits you perfectly. (I did this with a pair of khaki pants that were 2 sizes too big for me...)

As far as the plaid stuff, the khaki skirt I converted to a skirt the insert was made out of a slightly faded purple plaid buttondown shirt, & I get complimented on it every time I wear it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigger than a breadbox, Smaller than a cheese sandwich
lovelyxmalia
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006 08:33:05 AM »

What I don't donate, I usually tear apart and use in all sorts of things.  I enjoy creating fabric pages of my scrapbook and I use a lot of denim (preferably the stretch stuff) to cover notebooks and what not.  All kinds of fabrics can be used for anything!  How about sewing it all together to create a wall hanger or a neat curtain?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She sees shooting stars...
              & comet's tail
She's got heaven in her eyes.
RamenQueen
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006 09:48:18 PM »

fionahamstern ...do you have any pics of these quilts? They sound awesome! and since Ive been losing weight i have some clothes that i cant donate ( I have a weird craftster approved style)  but are still in decent shape i want to transform.

and I'm a broke @$$ college student with a sewing machine in my dorm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fionahamstern
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006 06:54:07 AM »

ramen queen, i will take pictures and try to post them soon. i don't have a digital camera, which slows down the process. thanks for the interest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fionahamstern
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006 08:09:07 AM »

i borrowed the digital camera from work. i posted the pictures under the quilting forum.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=140609.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bflysmile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007 06:34:18 PM »

What about Christmas gifts?

Little girls - make dolls and doll clothing

Jeans make a cute quilt with the pockets for kids (or me :0) to put stuff in.  Putting a zipper or two in to play with would be fun.  (Think of the doll with shoes to tie and buttons and zippers to undo only this is a quilt)  This could be mixed with heavy cotten.  Quilt the back with squares from the sweat shirts and all you would need is some batting, or it would be a very light quilt). 

Pillows - cut the shirts in squares and rectangles sew up, stuff and you have a throw pillow.  (I used to do this with my favorite shirts when they where worn out at the arm pits but no where else.)  I've seen pillow made from sweaters and button up shirts (sew them so they don't unbutton first) on a makeover show.

Best of luck!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 8/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 6/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 5/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 4/26
How to Crochet a Beanie Hat Part 20/26
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...