A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Xmad Kid Craft idea and question  (Read 1808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

K8upL8
« on: September 01, 2004 10:16:33 AM »

I babysit for my 2 cousins. Boys 6 and 7. Last year for christmas we looked at different pictures on the internet by pop culture artist Andy Warhohl. Then as an ativity/craft we made some art of our own. I took a good picture of the boys, had it made in to black and white four up copies at Kinko's and then let the boys use crayons to "paint" over there pictures. The results were fabulous and the kids even paid attention. A few weeks later when I was bringing them home from school, the youngest one is thrilled to see an Andy Warhohl picture in a store window. ( yes it was the Marilyn one lol).
After we colored 7 pages ( each boy colored 2 squares) I ran to the Dollar tree and bought frameless frames. The whole project cost me 10$ and we gave 7 beautiful handmade gifts. I made a sheet of labels that explained what we had done and Merry Christmas to stick on the back and of course, the boys put their signatures on them)
Ok... here is the question... what can I do this year to at least be as impressive as we were last? It would help if we got to explore some other artists work or if was at least educational. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadowhand
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2004 03:46:52 PM »

That is such a good educational idea. Wish I'd had the chance to do that when I was little! I bet those boys are lucky to have you as their cousin Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fauna
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2004 07:29:31 PM »

I have seen really good art activities on gallery web sites.  I live in Canada so I probably checked out galleries from here.  I would suggest a search with modern art + activites + kids and see what you get.  If nothing else it will be a good place for you to become inspired.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stacykr
Heavy is the head that eats the crayons -Tracy Jordan, 30 Rock

live every week like its shark week!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004 11:21:04 PM »

Hey!  I have co-taught at an Art Camp for 2 9-wk. summers in a row, and we do projects like this all summer!  I love that you're doing in-depth educational art projects with those kids!  Most people think of crayons and messes when they hear about kid's art projects, but here are some of the things we've done:

-read about Easter Island and made our own Moai head statues carved from florist foam
-studied the aztec calendar and made our own versions out of craft foam
-learned about what makes the sky blue and what makes for dramatic sunsets, and painted them
-studied Frida Kahlo's self portraits with animals, and drew/painted one of ourselves with animals in our lives/or that are meaningful to us
-discussed what endangered animals lived where, and made a papier mache globe, and individual animal flags, then stuck the flags in the globe where endangered animal's habitat is
-found out how people from Ghana make Kente cloth, what it means, and made our own versions
-re-enacted the finding of the Lascaux caves, and then painted our own "prehistoric cave art" on brown paper
-studied ancient egypt and made self-portrait sarcophagi
-studied narrative structure and wrote comic books based on amazing or seredipitious events in our lives
-looked at the energetic graffiti of Keith Haring, and made our own interpretations based on our own strong feelings and reactions to our environment
-observed the same field for a number of days, and made an environmental journal filled with drawings, current statistics, notes, poetry, and found natural objects
-learned about different quilting techniques and patterns, and created our own quilts made from cloth as well as craft foam
-studied the work of vincent van gogh, and painted flowers in his "thick paint" style
-collected sun designs from diferent cultures and painted our own, and made new kinds of suns using sculpey
-emulated the work of Chihuly's blown glass by making sculpey versions of our own
-studied different kinds of african masks, and made our own papier mache versions
-looked at Vermeer, and painted people in rooms doing common, daily activities in perspective...

I could go on and on - we did many more!  Some artists you might want to look into: Mucha, Lautrec, and other Art Nouveau poeple did some very naturalistic work - and lots of advertisements - fun to look at

Also check out the work of Monet, Klee, Dali, Minnie Evans, Howard Finster (the Talking Heads used one of his paintings for an album cover), Emily Carr, and Picasso - feel free to PM me if you want details on any of these projects!!!

Good luck - doing art w/kids is SO MUCH FUN!!!

Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

10,000 flowers in spring, the moon in autumn
A cool breeze in summer, snow in winter
If your mind isn't clouded by unnecessary things
This is the best season of your life.
Wu-Men (13th cent.)
K8upL8
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004 07:59:06 AM »

Grin Those are some excellent ideas. I just love the people here at Craftster.
 Thank You so much.
      Stacy I imagine I will be doing alot of those with the boys and you will be hearing from me!  Cheesy
     Keep  the ideas flowing _ I think all of us with kids around are gonna benefit from this thread. The world needs more art appreciation and creativity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004 07:13:39 AM »

What I am doing this year with my niece is...I am going to the dollar store and am going to pick up those stove burner covers (the cheap tacky kind, from dollar store) and I am going to paint them white first, then we are going to pick a theme and paint or do a collage on them.  It's a cheap cool gift, that parents, teachers and other grown-ups love.  Not so educational, but you could put your own twist into it.

It's a thought...

nessa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004 05:10:36 PM »

I love that you are doing this, its brilliant!

I love the work of Franz Marc, you could look at his work/philosophies(animals as part of nature/expression of goodness, but simplify them) and then draw paint their own animals in that style. I did this for my HSC and it turned out pretty good.

You could look at the work of Kandinsky and hiis attempts to paint music. Put on your cousins fave music aand then go to town. Aussie artist Roy de Maistre did something similiar so he'd be worth a look too.

You could also look at Pollock, but i'd consider you very brave to attempt action painting with young kids - but you necer know, they often surprise you.

Ooh, this is fun!

Duchamp and ready mades, could be a good counterpart to Warhol. Cave paintings sound like fun, Aboriginal art could be good to look at as well.

Crayola.com has a lot of good ideas ike this as well, hope my ideas help. I so want to try this, now I just need to find children, hope that doesn't sound as weird as it could.
-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What the Art Department on a Film Set Does
What the Locations Manager Does On Set
Camera Grip Gear - C-Stands Review
Film History Biography of Harold Ramis
Film History Biography of Werner Herzog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...