A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Boots from Shoes?  (Read 2415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 27, 2006 08:19:27 AM »

Hey there guys.  So, I've been helping some friends with their Ren Faire booth, and have really been cheating with shoes.  This morning, said friend, who happens to be going as a Pirate for Halloween, sent me a link to a place that makes boots for garb and costumes, etc., but I won't have the money for that for a LONG while.  So here's my question:

I have a men's XL full-length black leather duster, my hubby's old one that isn't in wearable condition, and he's given me permission to take it apart and use the leather.  (Mm, leather bodice!)  Do you guys think it would be possible to buy a pair of shoes and recover them, making them into boots, using maybe the sleeves of my hubby's coat?  Or possibly some other of the leather?  What do you think the best way to go about it would be?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
jericho
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008 01:15:29 PM »

Hi there! I was a pirate for halloween as well, but wasn't about to spend cash on pirate-y looking boots, so I made some pleather spats similar to the ones found at this website (only knee high and laced up in the back) and wore them over some heels. Mine weren't as professional as the ones at this link, but they weren't difficult to make and I'm sure wouldn't be too dificult for a crafty person to make even better!  Lips sealed Good luck!

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=spats
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's your mom!
Vartila
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 05:12:16 AM »

I believe it's possible - I'm kind of attempting the same kind of thing to make boots for a cosplay. I picked some old shoes of mine that are the right shape and I can paint the soles of (where it will show) and covered them in tape (mostly sticky side out, then covered that in tape til I had the shoe covered in plastic. Then I pulled it off and cut the tape til I had a flat-ish pattern, which I'm soon going to cut out of vinyl with a seam allowance and sew up. (I tested first with newspaper, which seems to work, and as vinyl's stretchy.. I think I'll muddle through. Not sure quite how I'll attach them to the shoes yet. Shall probably be posting (eventually) if I get them right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Perrelle

Geeking it up, old school.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 08:10:26 PM »

As a matter of fact, it's not too hard to do what you're suggesting. Here's a tutorial you can use. http://www.limitbreakcosplay.com/FAQ_BootCovers.htm

It's meant for cosplay so the attaching methods suggested aren't as permanent as they could be, but you can substitute any of them for simply sewing it in by machine or by hand (although it might be pretty hard if you're using leather). Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never give your reasons, for your judgement will probably be right, but your reasons almost certainly will be wrong.
jennecca

Mother Daughter Team!

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008 04:30:10 PM »

You will love this guy... http://www.sithcamaro.com/boottut/ I've tried twice to recreate these using vinyl instead of leather and I just don't have the patience and/or talent. Check out the rest of his site for even more stuff to drool over, this guy is something else! http://sithcamaro.com/

Can't wait to see what you come up with, hope you'll be posting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mangospanker

yeah...I'm that sexy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008 04:58:21 PM »

oh thank god you put up the link to sithcamero's boot tut. i was told about it at a panel at star fest and i've been searching all over his site, couldn't find it. but while i was looking for that i also found this awesome legolas boot tut

edit:link has died, maybe it will come back

« Last Edit: August 29, 2008 09:18:32 PM by mangospanker » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildfyre
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008 08:07:23 AM »

Seems like most the links have died. Did anyone ever make these? Or take pictures? Hubby and I are supposed to be pirates for Halloween but the footwear is throwing me for a loop :-(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008 06:49:18 AM »

Ah, I'm glad someone posted sithcamaro Jack Sparrow boots - I was thinking of that tute! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008 03:41:45 PM »

When i saw the topic posted, i immediately thought of these two tutorials i found. they look really interesting and you can probably use them to alter to what you want it to be. hope it helps!
FYI lots of pictures
http://theleagueofheroes.yuku.com/topic/1834/t/HOW-TO-D-I-Y-Captain-America-Buccaneer-style-boots.html
http://theleagueofheroes.yuku.com/topic/1835/t/SUPERMAN-HOW-TO-DIY-NO-3-DA-BOOTS.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008 07:09:11 AM »

Or just make some stupendous spats:

http://de.dawanda.com/product/209339-SARAH-BERNHARDTMUCHASCHMUCKGAMASCHEN
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Project Cain Book Trailer
Geoffrey Girard Explains Cain’s Blood
Christopher Rice: What Are You Reading?
Colleen Hoover: What Are You Reading?
Architect’s Suburban Home Haven For City Artists
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...