A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ideas for sprucing up ugly ironing board cover  (Read 681 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hummingbird42
« on: September 27, 2006 07:33:56 AM »

hello!

i just got a new ironing board and it came with the most ugly board cover.  i could buy another cover but  1.)  i don't really have any money and 2.) i like the idea of re-vamping the one i have somehow.  but!  the pickle for me is, whatever i put on it has to tolerate heat obviously and washings.  anyone have any ideas for that one?  wondering if iron-on transfers tolerate heat?  thanks a bunch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006 08:52:10 PM »

If you're going to decorate the existing cover, about the only way you can make sure your decoration stays on is to sew it on.  Firmly.  The heat from the iron will MELT off iron-on materials or hot glue.

The decoration should also be 100% cotton, or you run the risk of inadvertently melting it onto whatever you're ironing at the time.

If you've got an old cotton sheet, you can easily make a new cover: tape a couple sheets of newspaper together, turn the board upside down and trace around it, then trace another line 3 inches outside that.  Cut your fabric on the outside line.  Either hem in a drawstring pocket or edge the thing with bias tape, leaving an opening at the center of the wide end of the board.  Insert drawstring and voila! new cover.  For pennies.

(Your board will be even more effective if you cut two underlayers: 1) a bottom layer of heavy 100% wool (old Army blankets are great for this) and 2) a layer of 100% cotton batting to go over the wool.  Cut each of these layers about 2 inches larger than the board top, so they will be secured by the ironing board cover and won't wiggle)  Something about the wool-batting setup seems to pull the steam through more effectively.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hummingbird42
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006 10:16:08 AM »

wow!  some cool ideas there. thanks.  i was trying to avoid the 'sewing thing" (cause i don't have a sewing machine) and hoping for an easier solution, but i suspected there wasn't one.  thanks for your reply.

hey!  what about using dyes?  i wonder if that could work somehow.  i've never worked with dyes so i have no idea.......i suppose you run the risk of the dye coming off and "leaking" into whatever you are ironing i bet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Acne Spots in Photoshop
How to Enhance Breast Size in Photoshop
How to Make a Little Planet Effect in Photoshop
How to Make a Multi Colored Eye in Photoshop
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...