A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
450 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help with evil asian man hat and what to be with a snake as an accessory?  (Read 8485 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2006 05:55:46 PM »

Hi, all you wonderful people out there in craftland! I have some questions that hopefully you guys can help me with...

My half chinese boyfriend has been growing out a fu manchu mustache for nearly a year, and he has decided to go as Lo Pan, the bad guy from Big Trouble in Little China, for Halloween this year. So, of course, he wants some help in putting a costume together... I've never seen the movie, but as I understand it he's an evil wizard type dude. Anyway, he wears this outrageous hat. The rest of the costume seems pretty easy--fake nails, eyeliner, long wig, beard to go with the fu, and I'll probably just stick the boy into a long black robe and say it's close enough--but the hat, which is what pulls everything together, seems triiiicky. Plus, I have totally never ever even attempted to  make a hat or indeed head covering of any kind before, ever, although I am willing.
Here is the evil asian guy in question, with his hat:

Basically, I have no idea how to do it.  Huh  Help? Please?
I mean, I figure I could make the gold stuff on it out of sculpty or something, the symbol is a standard marriage symbol, so that, while time consuming, isn't the issue...but the shape of the hat itself has me stumped. How to make something stand up like that? Is there fabric interfacing stiff/strong enough? (i've never used interfacing before)  So, um...yes. Help!

And, less important and perplexing than the evil hat, is the matter of what I should go as this year...maybe you guys have some suggestions there?

I love Halloween. Usually I know what I want to dress up as months in advance...
Last year I went as my favorite voodoo death/sex god, Baron Samedi...presumably Samdedi in drag, because I cannot actually pull off looking like a tall skinny black man in skullface:

At the time, I was fairly put out by not having a pet snake to go with the skeleton in tophat look, since snakes are big in voodoo. Since then, however...

Baby Salvador has come into my life! He's a few months old, two feet long, and an absolute sweetheart. So, this year, I would like to go as something besides The Baron that still...um, includes a snake. Salvador's super well behaved; I've taken him out to various places and he's totally chill...ball pythons are frequently the snakes belly dancers use, because of their convenient size (usually around five feet, full grown) and sweet temperament. I've taken him dancing; I was in a fashion show recently and had him on the runway... I don't take him smoke filled places that will be noisy, so I don't take him clubbing, because that would be bad for him...but whatever gathering I'm attending for Halloween will be smoke free, snake friendly, and pretty laid back, so a costume to go with Salvador would be fantastic. I don't want to go as just your run of the mill snake charmer...I'd like something spookier. Any suggestions?

Anyway! Thanks to everyone who took the time to read the long post--sorry, I'm wordy.
(and, yes, the snake is named after the painter.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006 06:21:52 PM »

for some reason i could only think of something lame like a zoologist/steve irwin type costume for the snake, but i just wanted to comment to say that i'm so jealous of your pet snake!!! he's beautiful!!!! and um.. that chinese dude is freaky..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006 06:47:12 PM »

I think you could make that hat out of bristol or poster board. Wrap a piece around the head for size then tape it. Make a second one and put it inside the first one so it's higher. Then paint it.
I am confused about the nail through the hat thing because in two pics it's going one way but in the second one the nail oges the other way.
I think you could spray paint a large knitting needle for that part.
Hope this helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006 06:55:56 PM »

For the hat, i've used timtex wich would probably be strong enough to make the hat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
SquidPrincess
cephalopod rockstar and all around space babe

just a (squid) girl and her zombie friend

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006 07:24:27 PM »

junquette--a knitting needle would be perfect! thanks! I hadn't even thought that far into the hat thing because I was despairing over the shape.

hgflower--thank you, thank you. Cheesy I <3 my baby lots and lots. a few more pics of him here: http://mintkiss.deviantart.com/gallery/
I *highly* reccomend a ball python as an introduction to snakes. As do people far more experienced with snakes than I...

cathou--I am intrigued! I didn't know what timtex was, but a quick google search seems to reveal that it is some super duper interfacing type thing. Thanks for the suggestion, I never would've stumbled upon it because I know absolutely nothing about interfacing... Is this stuff widely avaliable (like, can I stroll into Joanne's and get some?) or should I order it on line?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Revolution is a trivial shift in the emphasis of suffering." --Tom Stoppard
http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m67/spooookypants/
la felicidad tiene tu nombre y tu piel
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006 08:54:16 PM »

Go as a snake charmer!  Not one of those old men in turbans with snakes in baskets, but a sexy carnival type girl! (Like in Carnivale or in Blade Runner). There's a neat (and crafty!) example on this page: http://www.theflyingpickle.com/carnival_series.htm

PS. I ADORE your Baron Samedi costume, and I may have to.. um... borrow it at some point. (My shop is named after my favourite voodoo sex godDESS, Erzulie Wink )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flying Betty
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006 09:24:30 PM »

You can be Voldemort from Harry Potter. Plenty of opportunities to work in a snake (which is incredibly cute, btw!)

Or Medusa. That's what I'm doing but I don't have a real snake to accesorize with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClauRose

Laughter is good like medicine!!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006 09:30:27 PM »

OH Oh ohohoh!!!!! I know go as MEDUSA!!!!!! you know that one chick that had snakes for hair. That would be cool. Your Salvador looks so cute. I had 2 pythons (6ft) and 4 constrictors (4ft'ers). and they are lovely pets. Your pic made me miss my babies!!! Cry.

anyway have fun!!! ohohohoh did you ever watch Alexander, um that chick thats with brad pit right now Jolie? Well she was in that movie and her character was some kind of snake goddess or charmer or witch of some kind. anyway she was always wearing a snake and her room was always full of snakes.

anyway again have fun!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ninja_Poo
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006 10:23:54 PM »

You could be Eve with the snake.  Just add some tasteful fig leaves and a red apple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006 03:49:17 AM »

cathou--I am intrigued! I didn't know what timtex was, but a quick google search seems to reveal that it is some super duper interfacing type thing. Thanks for the suggestion, I never would've stumbled upon it because I know absolutely nothing about interfacing... Is this stuff widely avaliable (like, can I stroll into Joanne's and get some?) or should I order it on line?

I dont live in the states, therefore I cannot vouch for it but I was able to find some generic Timtex at my local fabric store (called Fabricville) and I have heard of people on craftster getting something similar at Joanns. I would go check at your local fabric store before ordering online
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Knots Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Milano Cookies Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Jean Jacket Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Pencil Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Wall Sculpture by Robin Antar
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...