A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FANTASY DANCE--- HELP!  (Read 508 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Country_Gal

Disasterously Beautiful

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2006 04:07:51 PM »

we're having a fantasy dance which me and a couple friends are in charge of...but we're having a lil stress on what kind of decorations to get..and for cheap.. we plan on having a little bridge that will go into the doors (the school already has the bridge) and we plan on having a lot of lights...thats about as far as we've gotten...ideas anyone? plz help! the dance is oct 6!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Nicole-
Arashala

Got a razorblade hat with a knife in the brim...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006 03:14:55 PM »

Fantasy, as in, dream-world where everything is all wierd and kooky? Or fantasy as in Prince-Charming-big-white-stallion?

If it's the former, you could just collect old paper and make papier-mache stuff, like recreating a crazy collection of Willy Wonka's garden with the big mushrooms (which you could make the spots actual bowls on one to put dip in on a table if you're having munchies & punch), castle spires, Oz and Narnia imagery, stuff from your own odd-but-pleasant dreams, etc in fantastical colors and stuff....

If it's the latter, you could keep the papier-mache castles and take some stuffing or batting, or that spider-web halloween stuff and do clouds and whatnot...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't matter how you get your love, just make sure that you do, if I can do it bet your ass that you can do it too..." -from Don't Matter

"Just a little slice of heaven....and a little taste of hell..."  -from Slice of Heaven

both by Mama Sweet (kick ass band FYI)
Country_Gal

Disasterously Beautiful

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006 01:22:40 PM »

its more the second one...but i like all of the ideas anyways! i think we're gonna have to start on that paper mache
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Nicole-
Arashala

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006 01:37:25 PM »

I would highly reccommend finding some recycled (aka free) materials to build up the inner framework so any papier-mache 3d objects can be done faster. Balloons & crumpled paper or chicken wire or the sort make really good lightweight armatures for stuff like that....if you're going fairy-tale, you could even make a pumpkin carriage! Hmmm...that could make a neat background for pictures too.

OOOOH! You could do perforated 3d stars filled with a nice fat wad of Christmas lights too! Since it's right before Halloween, you can get small strands of neat colors (including purple!) for cheap. And add glitter too! Sparkles are always good.

Borrow a fog machine or 2 and put them on the floor so it's all fairy-tale dreamlike (very Labyrinth)...but make sure to get the fog that doesn't stink, there's one that smells like vanilla that's really good.

Drapey fabric is always a good plan...and if you get the cheapo ghetto sheets from Wal-Mart you get a lot of fabric for cheap. If you make 2 matching round hoops, you can attach the fabric to them to make a hang-able column and light it from the inside with an uplight (or a flashlight) and another hanging from the top pointing down. That gives an interesting effect.

If you do papier-mache columns you could even man the troops for some forest-y action and get some fresh ivy to wrap them in...looks better than fake and it's free!

And fake snow could be cool....And a cheap way to give a really winter-frosted look to something (esp if light will be hitting it) is to take boiling water and dissolve as much epsom salt (or I suppose regular salt) into it until it's a fully saturated solution, let it cool, pour into clean, empty windex spray bottles or the like, mist what you want frosty, and give a couple of applications until you get the results you want. I used this a while back on railings, windows and the like for a party, and tho it was warm, it looked like everyone should be able to see thier breath...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2006 01:41:29 PM by Arashala » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't matter how you get your love, just make sure that you do, if I can do it bet your ass that you can do it too..." -from Don't Matter

"Just a little slice of heaven....and a little taste of hell..."  -from Slice of Heaven

Country_Gal

Disasterously Beautiful

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006 04:39:20 PM »

Arashala you are my hero!! ive taken so many of your ideas, so thank you soo much! i was so scarred id have to put up boring old streamers and balloons! ill hopefully get pictures from the dance and ill post them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Nicole-
Arashala

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006 10:26:27 AM »

Always glad to be of help!  Smiley Hope everything comes out okay! Be sure to show pics afterward....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Put Together a Shopping Outfit
How to Customize Your Shorts with a Floral Pattern
Gran Larceny: Fashion Goes Grandma
Chanel Unveils Cruise Collection With Cara Delevingne
Swimwear to Suit Your Body
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...