A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ongoing Yarn Swap - October 2006  (Read 5767 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knit_north
« on: September 25, 2006 09:58:40 PM »

Superhuge thanks to those running the fabric swap for this format - esp. loves2experiment for this swap format and writeup and also to enchanted_wool for her help!

Swap name: Ongoing Yarn Swap - October 2006
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: knit_north
Sign-up date range: Ongoing (Sept 25 - Oct 30)
Date to send items by: Seven (7) days after someone claims from your list
Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): Nope.  The more the merrier!
Non-U.S. participants allowed? Yes!
All ages allowed? Yes (Parental consent required for those under 16!)
Organizer meets the 4 conditions for swapping and will make sure that every participant meets these conditions: Yes

DETAILS OF SWAP:

If youve got stashes of yarn, this is the swap for you!  This round will be taking place from Oct 1, 2006 until Oct 27, 2006.

For each claim, you will get to select a total of 100 grams of yarn (in the form of two (2) 50 gram balls, one (1) 100 gram ball, OR odd balls totalling 100 grams).  In return, you will then be required to make a post with a minimum of eight yarn options (each a minimum of 50 grams) that you have available for someone else to claim.   

This swap is based on the Ongoing Fabric Swap. Study previous fabric rounds to see how it works:

Round 1 organized by loves2experiment: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87438.0
Round 2 organized by loves2experiment: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=94586.0
Round 3 organized by Melesse: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=101710.0

Ready to play?  Please read the following sections on 'HOW TO PLAY' and 'RULES' for this swap before signing up to get approved for this swap!

Additional Information:

First time swappers! Please be aware that since this is an ongoing swap, you will not receive positive feedback even if earned until the swap ends (the end of October) or you leave this round. I strongly recommend signing up for a short term swap to fulfill your new swapper requirements then coming in and joining the fun here!

The amount of claims you are allowed is based on your craftster and swapping status; new swappers get one claim, non-FOCs get 2 claims and FOCs get 3 claims.

ONGOING YARN SWAP GALLERY (showcase the things you make with the yarn from this swap!) coming soon

HOW TO PLAY:

Step 1.  Send in your answers to the swap questionnaire to get approved for this swap

Step 2.  Prepare your lists and photos of your yarn so that youll be ready to post the list when you make a claim!  Remember, you need 8 minimum!  Along with the pictures, you should describe the type and clearly specify the quantity of yarn that youre offering!  For example:

1. Brown Lopi. 100% wool. 110 yds/100 gram ball.(bulky weight) 1 ball

Step 3.  Watch the swap thread for something youll like to claim.  To claim, post a reply along the lines of I claim a ball of #2 and #6 from rosalis stash.  Then send a PM to the person youve claimed from listing what youve claimed and include your name and mailing address.

Step 4.  Now that youve made a claim, its your turn to post your list of yarn options!  If the thread idles for a couple of days, please take the initiative to add more selections to your list!  When someone chooses from your list, you have seven (7) days to get the swap package out the door!

Step 5.  If you have not maxed out on the number of claims you have been approved for, you may keep on claiming.  If you have reached your limit, you will not be able to make another claim until one of your partners has received a swap package from you.

RULES:

1.  You may not participate in this swap until you have been pre-approved by the swap organizer and are listed on the List of Approved Swappers. If youre thinking about participating, go for it and get pre-approved. By doing so, youll be ready to make a claim when you see something you like

2.  You must have ready access to a camera and know how to post pictures in the swap thread.  Please make sure you have your list (either links or pictures) of the yarn available when you start swapping!  You will need to have a minimum of eight yarn options in your posts.  If youre posting pictures, please make sure that you showcase pictures in groups of 4s (i.e. post 2 images, if you have 8 balls of yarn).  You may also choose the option of posting links to your yarn.  If you do that, please make sure that your links work!   

3.  All participants must be willing to ship to international destinations.  Since were only sending a total of 100 grams of yarn, shipping costs should be pretty reasonable.

4.  After a claim has been made, you have seven (7) days to mail your package!  Check out the second post of this swap thread to know when your swap packages are due.

5. Delivery Confirmation Numbers will be required for swap packages that are being sent within the United States. If youre sending a package to another country, or if you dont reside in the United States, please save your receipts!  Remember to send the DCN info to your swap partner(s) and the organizer (that would be me, rosali)! 

Shipping Tip For US Residents (courtesy of kategirl): The USPS requires that the package measures at least thick for a DCN.  If your package is too flat, it might be necessary to bulk up the package with a couple of plastic grocery bags to get the DCN!
Shipping Tip for Sending TO Canada: Canadian Customs really, really likes getting their cut ($5 handling fee plus taxes on the declared value). Please remember to mark your customs form with gift and NCV (No Commercial Value) or NA (Not Applicable) when sending to Canada.
For US swappers sending to Canada (thanks to yarncookie for the info): The name of the form is Custom Declaration CN-22 (PS Form 2976) and is green and white. But you have to fill it out at the post office, you can't get it off the usps website.

6.  It is important to communicate with your partners and the organizer.  You must let the organizer and your partner know when you have shipped, received or may be late!  You are still responsible for sending out the swap package in a timely manner!     

7. Please offer yarn selections that others would want to claim.  Try to include a variety of yarn in your lists. Another good rule of thumb to follow is this: If you're offering a ball of wool to "simply get rid of it", that's probably not a good thing!!

If that sounds good to you and you want to participate, send the following information to the organizer:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:

Name of swap: Ongoing Yarn Swap - OCTOBER 2006
Craftster username:
Email address:
Your full real name:
Mailing address:
Have you read the rules for this swap and understood how this swap works? 
How many yarn options will you be required to showcase when you make a claim?
Do you promise to communicate with your partner(s) and the organizer when you send, recieve or are late?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO THE ORGANIZER (me!) VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to consult the Swap Info Guide and Swap Etiquette to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

LIST OF APPROVED SWAPPERS:

NOTE: The number in parenthesis next to your name is the number of swap packages you owe for this swap. If your name is in ORANGE, you have reached your limit of claims and wont be able to make another claim until one of your partners has received from you. 

*Remaining claims in brackets
New Swappers - Approved for one (1) claim:

Non-FOCs - Approved for two (2) claims:
Javede (1)
moilulu
rockstr009

FOCs - Approved for three (3) claims:
knit_north(1)
mojo
enchanted_wool (1)
Miss_Vicki (1)

--------
SWAP GALLERY: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=128046.0
--------
Sending (remember you have 7 days after your wool is claimed to send)=black
Sent=blue
Recieved=green
Not communicating=red

knit_north------>moilulu   (RECIEVED!)
moilulu --------->enchanted_wool (RECIEVED!)
enchanted_wool-------> knit_north (RECIEVED!) thank you
knit_north-------->javede (RECIEVED!)
javede -------->Miss_Vicki (RECIEVED!)
Miss_Vickie ------>knit_north (sent Oct 24)
knit_north-------->Miss_Vickie (sent Oct 30)
Miss_Vicki-------->enchanted wool (RECIEVED!)
enchanted_wool --------->moilulu (send by Oct 31)
Miss_Vickie--------->enchanted wool (send by Nov 6)

YAHH!! no flakers - Thank you everyone!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006 09:07:08 PM by knit_north » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006 03:10:40 PM »

Just to note:
If you have multiple balls of the same yarn (ie 4 50gram balls of xxx) feel free to mention it in your photo description. People could use two claims and take it all (or you could always PM the crafter offering the wool and perhaps sort out a personal swap if you have run out of claims).

Anyway can't wait to start, I'm photographing my wool tonight!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moilulu
I have no idea what I'm doing!

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006 07:52:15 PM »

Sun was out today so I took pictures
now to describe each wonderful ball --oh how will I be able to let them go................i t will be difficult but I know they will go to good homes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine

I will knit for you in a personal swaps !!!!
(cause that's what I do!)

http://www.wists.com/moilulu
knit_north
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006 03:39:45 PM »

Ok lets start!!!

1. Lambs Pride Worsted. 113 g/173 m. 85% Wool 15% Mohair. Supreme Purple M-100 claimed!
2. Patons Diana. 50g/78 m 70% Acrylic 30% Nylon. Soft pink (v. soft)
3. Debbie Bliss wool/cotton. (2 balls) 50g/115m each. 50% merino wool 50% cotton. Pea green claimed!

4. SMART Superwash. 50g/100m. 100% wool. Heather grey (made in norway)
5. SMART Superwash. 50g/100m. 100% wool. Charcoal tweed (I have more of this!!!)
6. Sirdar Denim Tweed DK. 50g/170m. 60% Acrylic 25% Cotton 15% Wool. Denim Blue
7. Sirdar Denim Tweed DK. 50g/170m. 60% Acrylic 25% Cotton 15% Wool. Cream/tan

8. Magic Garden Buttons wash & wear DK. 50g/123m. 83% wool, 17% polyester. one ball each of (mint) green multi, purple multi, and golden yellow multi
9. Mardi Gras. 50g/86 m. 50% Cotton 50% Acrylic. teal green (2 balls)
10. Amazon DK. 50g/106m. 100% Merc. Cotton. several balls of each colour butter yellow, lime green and orange

11. Homespun wool. 100% wool. in natural cream colour (with tans and greys in it as well) I have just over a kilo of this wool. 5 skiens each approx 200g. It is Aran/chunky weight (similar weight to Manos). This is old fashioned sturdy and yes somewhat scratchy wool. *****felts!***** 200grams claimed - 800grams still available!
12. Homespun wool. 100% wool. Tan/brown cream ball approx. 225gr

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006 09:27:40 AM by knit_north » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moilulu

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006 05:52:14 AM »

knit_north is #11 feltable?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006 09:28:19 AM »

knit_north is #11 feltable?

it should!
I haven't tried it - but i'd be surprised if it didn't felt as it hasn't been bleached (that is usually why some light coloured wool doesn't felt well)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006 05:41:02 AM »

Have we stalled already??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moilulu

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006 06:23:14 AM »

Have we stalled already??

I'm thinking of the Homespun 100% wool for felting bags cause that's what I do  but there is just over a kilo -- 1000gr(tons)-- so how will I manage that in this swap? Undecided
knit_north if your sure it will felt can we work something out?  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knit_north
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006 10:35:40 AM »

hi you guys
i agree, i hope we haven't stalled!

the homespun wool: I will test it for felting - i am fully confident it will!
also you don't need to take it all (but if you are interested in the whole lot pm me) each skien is approx. 200 grams (they vary from 150g -250gr each). you can just take one if you like. ***** this wool felts! *****

please note - i will be away this weekend until tuesday as it is (canadian) thanksgiving. (mmmmmm pumpkin pie)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006 05:53:29 PM by knit_north » THIS ROCKS   Logged

moilulu

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006 07:59:26 PM »

Ok here goes
I claim 200gr of # 11 fromm knit_north  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Guide to Controlling an Airbrush
Airbrushing Tools
Airbrush Tutorial
Drawing a Cartoon Monkey
Drawing a Cartoon Giraffe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...