A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
612 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Furniture (new or used) stores in Austin, TX.  (Read 1493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ragazzasporca
« on: September 25, 2006 02:50:55 PM »

Need some idea on some neat places to shop for any kind of housewares in Austin, TX.

I'm transfering down there soon, from Illinois.

Actually, now that I think about it, if anyone here as any ideas on where to live, I'd appreciate that as well! I've only been to Austin once, so I'm not to familiar on where I should live/not live.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ursonate

I assure you, I am not a llama.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006 08:57:48 PM »

I like South Austin over North. 78704 is pretty expensive these days, but 78745 is fairly reasonable. If you want unfinished bookshelves, I recommend The Bookcase Store on Guadalupe near 42nd St.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejas_princess
I just started Crafting

I have a site.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006 08:17:01 AM »

In my opinion I wouldnt live in Austin but live in a small town around Austin. My mom lives in Burnet. Then there is Grantie Shoal. Liberty Hill. Marble Falls. Florence. Possibly Georgetown. Austin can be quite expensive. And alot of other places around it. But hey if you have the money go for it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006 12:17:27 PM »

If you like vintage furntiture/houseswares I recco:
Room Service (one on North Loop and one on South Lamar)
Beatniks on South Congress
Aqua (if you're very rich, on North Lamar)

Modern:
Euraway, it's up north someplace

Overall though, the best shopping areas for interesting offbeat stuff are confined to a few streets:
North Loop
South Lamar
South 1st
South Congress

I would totally recco living in South Austin, especially 78704. You are near everything, it's all about lifestyle, quality of living, and when I lived there I only have great things to say about it. I don't live far now, I'm in 78745, three blocks from 78704   Grin.

Some people think it's expensive but if you're coming from a major metro area, you'll think it's dirt cheap. When I moved here from the NYC area, I could not believe what many people thought was expensive.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rothko
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006 07:11:26 PM »

I would totally recco living in South Austin, especially 78704. You are near everything, it's all about lifestyle, quality of living, and when I lived there I only have great things to say about it. I don't live far now, I'm in 78745, three blocks from 78704   Grin.

Some people think it's expensive but if you're coming from a major metro area, you'll think it's dirt cheap. When I moved here from the NYC area, I could not believe what many people thought was expensive.

happy resident of 78704 here. austin might be expensive compared to the rest of texas, but dude, i moved here from boston -- i have like zero sympathy in that regard.

you'll find lots of really cool locally-owned shops here; pokeedog has listed the most promising locations already.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i swap ATCs Cheesy
my flickr site
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006 07:17:04 PM »

i grew up in 78750, northwest austin, but i would love to live in the hyde park area, a girl can dream...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
Leesah
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006 09:23:08 PM »

I grew up in South Austin (native Austinite here!!) but live North... plan on moving back down south in a few years.  I like both parts of Austin personally, they each have their ups and downs.  I usually tend to live west of Mopac(Loop 1) or at the very least WEST of I-35 (unless you live up north outside of Austin).  To me when I think of the area everyone is talking about (78704) I think of old ghetto houses and apartments.. but that's just me, maybe they've done some remodeling and cleaning up?  lol

I've been doing a lot of furniture/housewares shopping lately and I go everywhere.  I personally don't like Eurway, they sell really cheap crap at expensive prices, well.. more expensive than IKEA.  But try the other places that have been listed.. and of course we have the usual Pier 1, Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn etcetc...

Leesah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dancer4Ever
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006 08:47:41 PM »

Can't give you any good furniture stores at the moment, but I'd suggest the Hyde Park area. Growing up in that area was wonderful and the neighborhoods are wonderful. Recently, or at least the last time I was in Austin about two weeks ago, there seemed to be quite a few houses for sale in the 78705 area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bento Swap Round 4- Sent
MAF Round 6- Working on package 2
All Things Hayao Miyazaki Swap- watching movies and gathering ideas
June 2010 Birthday Swap- Crafting for a fellow June baby
Post Secret Swap- crafting away my secrets
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lindsey Vonn Walks the Runway on Crutches at Go Red Fashion Show!
Diane Kruger Stuns at Peter Pilotto for Target Fashion Show
5 Hot Valentine’s Day Lingerie Looks
Celebrities Show Off Sexy Fashion at AmfAR Gala
Top Makeover Tips from Lawrence Zarian
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...