A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
521 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Ivy KAL?  (Read 7425 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mooncalf
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006 08:56:38 AM »

Unless disaster strikes I will finish up this weekend. I just hope it doesn't look crap and discourage you even more. Also, I really don't want it to look crap. Oh well, fingers crossed...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2006 08:38:49 AM »

Ok I';ve finished and I'm pretty pleased with it. It isn't the most flattering garment I've ever worn and makes me look about a stone heavier than normal. I was expecting it to be a bit more fitted, especially as I made a small. Also, those damn ties are miles too long. I hadn't realised that you've meant to wrap them right around you twice. I just thought they'd lie at the back like other wrap cardigans I've had. Anyway, I've attached pictures of it tied both ways:

and

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2006 09:13:24 AM »

congrats! i think it looks great! can you wrap it tighter around yourself so it fits closer?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2006 01:32:25 AM »

Thank you!

I can't wrap it round more tightly without distorting the neckline. From looking at the pictures on knitty I think that it just doesn't look good on my body shape. I notice that the designer is taller and generally more statuesque than I am.

The 'do I look fat in this' factor seems to be because the shaping doesn't taper much under my bust and pads out my torso and the wrap ties don't hit my natural waistline.  It lends me the shape of a sausage more than an hourglass. Maybe it might look more shapely in a drapier yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
esmerelda

And pli, revel, chanter, boogeh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2006 05:32:55 AM »

I finally managed to find an affordable yarn for this - I bought Sirdar Country DK (which is machine washable - I am ridiculously low maintenance and have yet to hand wash anything).  Obviously the knitalong is fairly advanced, and I still won't be able to start until after Christmas, but will definitely post a pic here when I'm done.

Mooncalf, you did a lovely job with the pattern, well done!  It does swamp you a bit, you are right, but it looks very cozy.  Do you mind my asking what dress size you are?  I am trying to work out, based on your observations, what size to make - I was thinking of the large size, but think I might need to make a medium instead.  You can pm me if you would rather not make the info public, although you really have nothing to worry about!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mooncalf
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006 08:01:38 AM »

Hi Esmerelda,

I'm so glad you added a post as I thought my Ivy had killed the thread!

I'm usually a UK 10-12 although I'm wearing my winter skin (made from too much early Christmas cake) at the moment so probably nearer a 12. I think that is 6-8 in US terms but you'd probably better check. My bust size is about 35" so I made the small but I could probably have got away with an XS in retrospect. Still, as you say, it is cosy.

Funnily enough, when I was making it I was really worried it was going to be too small; the cabled rib looks worryingly narrow but stretches a lot when the whole thing is finished.

Good luck with your Ivy. Even though I'm not 100% happy with my finished Ivy, I really enjoyed making it and feel a sense of achievement at having finished it. I learnt a lot along the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
esmerelda

And pli, revel, chanter, boogeh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006 03:32:33 AM »

Thanks, mooncalf!  I'm a UK 16 on top (ha! and I wish I had the excuse of a winter skin!!), but I think that I will go for the M anyway, seeing as yours is a smidge big on you. 

And I realised why my yarn was so cheap as I was lugging it home on the bus yesterday - it's about 15% wool, 85% plastic!   Tongue  Oh, well!  Can't afford to be a yarn snob at the moment, plus it will be useful to try and make a large project with something that it doesn't matter so much if I don't finish.  At the moment, the largest thing I've made is a hat!!

Thanks for the encouragement - when I finish the bajillion and one things I've got on the needles at the moment, I will CO and let you know how I get on.  I'll definitely be coming back here for tips, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betchka
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2006 08:51:37 AM »

I'm too late for the knit-a-long but I'm starting this today. Was thinking about doing it in this: http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420126/yarn_display

Elann no longer has the teal and I've read a lot about the quechua shedding like crazy so I'm steering away from that. Can I get away with a worsted instead of a DK? Doing swatch today...

I really like the shape of the pattern but to be honest, I don't love the cables Not really my thing. Has anyone made this with just regular ribs at the bottom or know of a pattern that has just that?

Lovely and inspiring work, everyone. I have a lot ahead of me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beandip
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2006 01:59:59 PM »

Little late to the party, too. I just finished all my Christmas knitting yesterday and cast on for this about five minutes later. So far I have all of one repeat of the cable pattern done. I'm just happy to be knitting something for myself rather than someone else!

As far as cheap yarn substitutions go- I'm using Lion Brand Wool-Ease. It's a light worsted weight, but its giving me gauge on the size 4 needles. And I happen to have a ton of it in my stash.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my brand new blog! http://trinasdoings.blogspot.com
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2007 05:24:43 PM »

I cast on for this tonight. I've had the yarn for a few months, and I went poking through my stash and marvelled at how pretty it is, so this got bumped to the top of my to-knit pile. I'm using Katia Bamboo in a lovely very pale cream color. It's an odd choice for something like this, I know, but I'm two repeats into the twisted ribbing and I'm liking the look. It's a very soft yarn, not nearly as slick as you'd expect from bamboo or cotton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Haul: Beach Bag Must-Haves
AnnaSophia Robb Talks About Her Prom!
Christie Teaches You How to Sculpt Your Cheeks & Nose
Seventeen Reader Erin Get a Makeover For Prom
Lucy Hale Plays Words With Friends
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...