A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitty's Ivy KAL?  (Read 7763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mamounette
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006 09:51:05 AM »

Hi,
I'm a new member from France!  Smiley
I'm going to order yarn for that Knitty's pattern but I won't start it right now cause I have a baby cardi to finish first!
Anyway, I'll follow your progress and explanations cause I might need some help...  Wink

Hugs from France!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006 05:40:40 AM »

I finshed the back and started on the left front - wow this is complicated. I had to draw up a spreadsheet to try to figure out where all the increases and decreases and cable patterning occur!

Even so I have a horrible feeling I've got it wrong but I can't see where. The edge doesn't look quite right to me but I can't see the neckband on knitty well enough to compare. MissLulu does yours look like this or can you see where I've gone wrong?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006 07:43:43 AM »

are you missing a purl right after the 2nd cable maybe? i know how frustrating this part is! at one point i had to rip back about 8 inches. that almst made me give up entirely.

Just remember that you're only doing one extra shaping thing at a time - so first you'll do some waist shaping, then a bit later you'll do some armhole, and then later neck.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006 09:31:37 AM »

I have a purl after the first and second cables but I'm wondering about adding one before - the first cable isn't really a cable without one.

I think I should read back over the instructions as I've been doing several bits of shaping at the same time - increases for the waist as well as a lot of k2togs and p2togs near the neck-side.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006 11:35:01 AM »

the whole time you're working on a front piece you'll be doing the neckline shaping plus one other thing (first waist, then later armhole, then later neck/sholder). hang in there! (sorry if i'm confusing you and not helping you!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loanesay
Smitten knittn' kitten!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2006 12:37:02 AM »

i'm going to be doing this for my mom for xmas!

does anyone know if cascade 220 is the same guage as the expensive yarn the pattern calls for?  Kiss

THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you walk into someone's living room and there's a rinocerous in there, act like it doesn't excite you. Just yawn, and ask for some rice pilaf or beans to munch on.
mooncalf
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2006 01:42:45 AM »

I think cascade 220 will be too thick for this. You need a thin dk-weight yarn. I'm in the UK so it probably wouldn't be any use for me to suggest alternatives but I'm sure someone else can be more helpful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooncalf
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006 01:45:50 AM »

I've had another read-though of the pattern and I think I am doing the front correctly after all. I was just expecting the neckband to look different with two clearly defined cables. After looking at a finished ivy on this website http://knitivy.blogspot.com/ I think I'm getting it right.

Thank you for all your help and for looking at my (wrong-way-round) photo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loanesay
Smitten knittn' kitten!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006 02:24:18 PM »

I think cascade 220 will be too thick for this. You need a thin dk-weight yarn. I'm in the UK so it probably wouldn't be any use for me to suggest alternatives but I'm sure someone else can be more helpful.

oh, good... i realized that the 4 skeins i have wont be enough anyhow... ill have to go to my lys again.. oh DARN!! muaha  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you walk into someone's living room and there's a rinocerous in there, act like it doesn't excite you. Just yawn, and ask for some rice pilaf or beans to munch on.
mooncalf
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2006 01:20:33 AM »

Ooh, let us know what you buy Loanesey (((vicarious shopping)))

I'm making good progress - the left front is finished and I've done 5 cable repeats on the right front. If all goes well, touch wood, fingers crossed etc etc I might be onto the sleeves by the weekend. MissLulu I may be bugging you for help again! Smiley

Oh, and I'm also loving it. Now I've finished one of the fronts I can imagine what it will look like finished and I'm pretty excited. This is only my 3rd sweater and it is much more complex than my previous two but it is definitely worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 11/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 4/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 5/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 12/12
How to Knit a Christmas Stocking with a Loom Part 9/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...