A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
662 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: look at the scenery (what do you honestly think)  (Read 740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morbid
« on: September 25, 2006 04:42:11 AM »

THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.etsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
digestedCrayon
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006 05:58:14 AM »

I like the second seventh and eighth ones the best. I'm not sure if you are in a photography class, or if you've heard of the rule of thirds, but maybe a few of the pictures could be a little improved if used the rule of thirds? But dont get me wrong!! They are all very pretty. Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I fight with love
and I laugh with rage
you've gotta live light enough
to see the humour
and long enough to see some change
morbid
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006 06:36:50 AM »

yeah i was just taking pictures.. ;x
rule of third? what exactly does that mean.. sorry ;x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.etsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2006 07:45:42 AM »

yeah i was just taking pictures.. ;x
rule of third? what exactly does that mean.. sorry ;x

It means that if you divide your frame in thirds vertically and horizontally (giving you 9 squares like a tic-tac-toe board), the lines and intersections are the most visually important areas.  For example, if you're taking a picture of a tree in an open field, don't put the tree in the middle of the frame, put in on one of those tic-tac-toe lines (or if it's small in relation to the scene, put it at an intersection). Even portraits, where the face is centered, should have the eyes (the important part) on the top horizontal imaginary line.

As for your pictures.  I agree -- the silhouettes are nice.  The Universal Studios thing has power.  The others are, well, uninteresting -- I'm not sure what to be looking at.  Have a look at your pictures of the bridge/aquaduct/whatever that is.  The sun is just starting to poke through the clouds.... now, imagine that you had a bit more light through there and it lit up the top of that bridge thing ... it would really stand out.  We would know you were saying "hey -- look at this awesome structure... and don't it look great this morning!"  In general, I'd say your first bunch of pictures (the scenery ones that are not supposed to be silhouettes) need more light.  It looks to me like you headed out one evening that seemed just perfect for taking pictures, and you were feeling the groove, but your light faded too fast.  I'd suggest that you consider re-visiting these locations under different lighting conditions and take a whole lot of pictures zoomed in and out, arranged differnently, in full sun, full cloud, in the rain, morning, night, etc.  Wait for rainbows and really impressive skies and that kind of thing.  It just takes practice.  And keep posting your work!

[edit: just had another look... the first one is good... except that the landscape has some kind of weird geometric shape that is distracting because I don't know what it is -- beautiful sky... love the tree in the foreground, nice reflection.  In the second one, the shape is more distracting because it's more dominant (and it looks like you've over-blown the image digitally and lost some clarity)]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006 07:50:36 AM by yarnhag » THIS ROCKS   Logged

TrashedClothing

You only wish you had a Yeti hat like me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006 07:39:06 PM »

Hey morbid! I think you did a great job on those photos. Funny, I have an almost identical photo from Universal. They'd be nice framed for presents. I know I love getting photos!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Sidebar in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Video Placeholder in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Format Thumbnail Text in Photoshop
How to Add Thumbnail Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Add a Shadow Effect in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...